Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Nice work uniQ!

Are you using a Garmin to determine the elevation gain? I've looked at my last 2 rides and I now think the elevation data is dubious. On Sunday the route is only 4700ft of climbing according to Bike Toaster, but my Garmin said I did 7100ft.:confused:

It really is, my Garmin reads far higher elevation than it should - much more than the bryton or mobiles etc.

Soldato
I bloody well hope so, otherwise I feel a bit awkward riding my "Scott" every weekend.

Showing my age, but mine is called Selina.

In other news, my single speed wheels are ready. Unfortunately the rest of the bike isn't. I need to earn some brownie points on Sat / Sun and maybe I can finish the build on Monday.

It really is, my Garmin reads far higher elevation than it should - much more than the bryton or mobiles etc.

Which Garmin? The 800 and 810 have a barometric alititude sensor to compliment anything the GPS says. Garmin connect also corrects altitude against known map data.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice work uniQ!

Are you using a Garmin to determine the elevation gain? I've looked at my last 2 rides and I now think the elevation data is dubious. On Sunday the route is only 4700ft of climbing according to Bike Toaster, but my Garmin said I did 7100ft.:confused:

Have you tried elevation correction on Garmin connect? I find the 810 is more accurate than the 800 and measures up pretty closely w/ the data from RidewithGPS. But without manually measuring it yourself it's hard to know how accurate it is?

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;24315666 said:
Showing my age, but mine is called Selina.

Which Garmin? The 800 and 810 have a barometric alititude sensor to compliment anything the GPS says. Garmin connect also corrects altitude against known map data.

Mine is but the lowly 500

Soldato
Elevation correction seems to increase the value further. Supposedly it is susceptible to pressure changes throughout the day but I can't imagine that'd cause a discrepancy of several 1000ft!

I wonder if it can be recalibrated. I thought I was doing some epic climbing but it was invalid data all along.:(

Soldato
Mine is but the lowly 500

The 500 has a barometric altimeter too which should be pretty accurate - the 705 has barometric readings too and it was regularly within +/- 10m of the elevation readings given by various signs when we were in the Alps last year.

Occasionally though it would go nuts and not register altitude gains for a while before catching up over the space of a few hundred metres - the ultimate reading was usually pretty accurate though.

Soldato
This ride was the one that made me question the data, 19% climb in norfolk ;)

8768563474_6a4aeab421_z.jpg

Top is iPhone, middle Garmin, bottom Bryton 50

Compared to my mates (one with a Bryton 50 other strava on iPhone) the whole ride seems odd with 2 massive spikes.

Associate
Just asked Canyon to advance ship me a replacement stem in case I need to swap them over (seeing as I won't have time to test the one on the bike & order a replacement before Tour of the Peak) and they've sent me an order confirmation saying expected delivery this week.

What's betting the stem turns up before the bike does...

Caporegime
[Damien];24316480 said:
Spec me a saddle bag peeps!

I need something that can carry a spare tube, small multitool, couple of levers, co2 canister and one of these (http://bontrager.com/model/07331). I've got massive great Topeak thing on my commuter but I want something a bit more space efficient to stick on the Canyon.

I use this.

img20130521161720.jpg

It fits:

img20130521161818.jpg
  • 2 inner tubes (only 1 in at present)
  • patches
  • cement glue
  • 3 tyre levers
  • 1 crank brothers tyre lever
  • alan key set
  • latex gloves (ooer)
with a bit of room left over for other things if needed.

Underboss
I use that topeak, mines the large I think, has an extension zipper , I can just get my pump in there (at angles) but its now fixed to the bike and I take Allen keys, 2 inner tubes and tyres levers and still space for a light rain jacket or something

Underboss
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom