Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Judging by the Specialized website, the Allez uses Tektro brakes, which would have been my guess. I'll bet they're R540s. They take Shimano cartridges. If you've already got cartridges, pick up some Kool Stop Dura II inserts. If you've not got cartridges, get some from your LBS and then buy some Kool Stop Dura II inserts.

For replacing the rear caliper, you can probably pick up a like for like Tektro replacement online somewhere for very little, or you could replace both front and rear with, I don't know, Tiagra calipers for £40 or thereabouts.

So something like these would fit ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura-aceultegra105-pair-of-cartridge-inserts/

simply undue the screw and replace? I wonder my LBS seemed disinterested in doing it :confused:

Ive asked them 3 times and they made up some reasons very strange

Thank you very kindly Von helmet you always seems to help me much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
So something like these would fit ?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura-aceultegra105-pair-of-cartridge-inserts/

simply undue the screw and replace? I wonder my LBS seemed disinterested in doing it :confused:

Ive asked them 3 times and they made up some reasons very strange

Yep, those should be fine. Pop the wheel out, undo the tiny screw on the side of the cartridge, slide the pad out, pop the new one in, redo the tiny screw. You'll probably have to loosen off your brakes, as the pads will be thicker than the ones you've just removed.

Soldato
Anyone got any experience of the Exposure Tracer rear light? I've had another Fibreflare fail and am thinking of going to something machined to a higher level.

Hmm or the Exposure Blaze Mk1. Looks a bit of a beast.

I have a TraceR on the Brompton. Fixes all the issues with the Exposure Flare and more. I chose it because you can't mount a light on a Brompton seat post and it has a handy saddle rail mount.

It's a great light.

Caporegime
First sub-5 degree commute tomorrow judging by the forecast.

Softshell weather!

I've been softshelling for a while, it really came into its own this morning though. Double socked though and stll had cold toes...under a toe thingy and overshoes. I was thinking it too early to get the Sidi boots out but maybe not :(.

In other news took a knock to the head last night and am still dazed, not concussion or anything serious like that but saw stars for a good while and my head is definitely not 100% this morning.

Caporegime
Sure you shouldn't be going to a&e?

No I'm not 100% sure, but it feels a bit lame to be going to a&e for a knock on the head that dazed me a bit. I'll see how I go and maybe get a doctors appointment if I'm still a bit dazed in the morning. Cycling in today might have been a mistake (not that I'd be much better driving!).

Hopefully knocked some sense in to you, and you'll get home later and slam dat stem :p

Never!

olv

olv

Soldato
no, way too big
im 6'2 and ride a 56 road bikes, track bikes I tend to use 58

I should be on a 58 but because of my short reach its too big for me, I feel stretched so I use a 56 :)

hope this helps

You can't say that. 56 is unusually small for someone your height. I'm 6' and ride 58cm frames as that's what the bike fit told me. It all depends on your proportions.

Soldato
I was okay this morning with PX winter overtights, dhb windslam softshell gilet, PX merino arm warmers, s/s baselayer and merino belgian cap.

I tried my Craft split finger gloves for the first time properly and can honestly say they are a bit turd. Yeah they are quite warm, but I don't like the way they force me to hold my hoods and also the palm padding is carp so I had sore hands. They are to be demoted to non-cycling cold weather duties!

Caporegime
I tried my Craft split finger gloves for the first time properly and can honestly say they are a bit turd. Yeah they are quite warm, but I don't like the way they force me to hold my hoods and also the palm padding is carp so I had sore hands. They are to be demoted to non-cycling cold weather duties!

Castelli Estremo gloves!

Soldato
Ignore platy, he's not right in the head (wondering how long this can be milked for)

Specialized Sub Zero > *

Is what you want. You get used to the lobsters after a couple of rides.

Soldato
I was okay this morning with PX winter overtights, dhb windslam softshell gilet, PX merino arm warmers, s/s baselayer and merino belgian cap.

How are the PX overtights? Going to get some myself I think.

Soldato
^^ I've got £4.99 PX winter gloves and they are okay above 10C

Lobsters don't suit how I hold the hoods at all!

I rode with thin-ish leather gloves thorough last winter.. those aldi ones are TOO much at this temp :/ I think I need half-finger-less gloves.. cut 2.5 fingers off a full glove and that'll do.. I hate operating brakes with gloves.

Soldato
How are the PX overtights? Going to get some myself I think.

I highly recommend them. Fit is good, quality seems decent for the price and they kept me warm.

I rode with thin-ish leather gloves thorough last winter.. those aldi ones are TOO much at this temp :/ I think I need half-finger-less gloves.. cut 2.5 fingers off a full glove and that'll do.. I hate operating brakes with gloves.

We've been over this, not everyone has toasty fingers and a big e-Peen like you!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom