Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
How many teams send two GC contenders to a tour? It doesn't make sense to do it.

Well, I guess you could do it if they were both super duper and could get on and take 1st and 2nd or whatever, but presumably that isn't the case here...

I'd be happy to see wiggins go to oge - spread the wealth.

A few.

Sky have had a pretty average season, and a terrible Giro. They lost Stannard in the classics, Porte has hardly raced, Kennaugh - who was probably the second most important domestique last year - is in the same position. They might have signed Nieve but right now it doesn't look anything like as strong a team as last year.

But then they have a rider who would be very useful in the mountains and was excellent in Paris-Roubaix showing his worth on the cobbles, and they're going to leave him behind. If they're worried about him threatening for the GC, get him back closer to his PR shape and use him on the flats, he will probably get an ITT stage win as well. But leaving him behind is nuts

Associate
Am now sat here wiping the remains of a Dominos pizza off my fingers ;)

Not the most healthy of meals bit I believe I've earned it today - did the Evans North Wales sportive, long route with some other members of my club.

Got to the start point nice and early, signed in on the day as I'd dithered about doing it or not :rolleyes: Route was 77 miles with something like 6600ft of climbing including a biggie at around the 66 mile mark. Lots of High5 goodies given out and on offer at the feed stops though I mainly stuck to my bananas and baby malt loaves plus zero drink (lots of this now seems to be all over my bike!)

Can't remember that much of the route, it started climbing not far from the start and that was the theme of the day really :rolleyes: Got away not far off the first group so we didn't hit too much traffic with other riders, though as we spread out on most of the climbs it was the usual hare and tortoise as riders I passed returned the favour while we paused to re-group. But sharing company of mates was more important than going for a time or average speed. Some nice descents too, but couple were on very narrow windy lanes and LOTS of potholes etc :mad:

The forecast of heavy showers and thunder missed us luckily, I wasn't sure on layers and up top in the end went for a vest, short sleeved club jersey and arm-warmers instead of wearing my aldi base/compression layer which would have had me roasting today. The arm warmers were up and down several times too. Hard going on some of the hilly sections where there seemed to be a constant headwind, going past wind farms gave us the hint it's the norm up there.

Hadn't realised that the big climb was one I did on a ride last year and had to stop before the top and walk a hairpin before remounting - Penbarra, it's in the top 100 climbs and I know why! started off very steep, then got worse and was difficult with cars coming down plus trying to pass the riders who'd decided to walk it. But managed it this time, absolutely pasted by the time I got to the top but there was a feed station there complete with jelly beans and cake :)

Last 10 miles I had some legs left but they'd thrown in a few sharp little climbs and dropping to the little ring was best option as I just couldn't push bigger gears by that point. Last bit back into Mold went quite quick, and downhill. Legs are hurting now and I've got a headache too but it was worth it. Sort of!

http://www.strava.com/activities/151017293

Soldato
A few.

Sky have had a pretty average season, and a terrible Giro. They lost Stannard in the classics, Porte has hardly raced, Kennaugh - who was probably the second most important domestique last year - is in the same position. They might have signed Nieve but right now it doesn't look anything like as strong a team as last year.

But then they have a rider who would be very useful in the mountains and was excellent in Paris-Roubaix showing his worth on the cobbles, and they're going to leave him behind. If they're worried about him threatening for the GC, get him back closer to his PR shape and use him on the flats, he will probably get an ITT stage win as well. But leaving him behind is nuts

Let's face it, Wiggo has put the PR machine in overdrive the last few months trying to get a spot on the Tour team and made Froome look a bit of a ****. However, this is his likely last year at Sky and has nothing to lose, Brailsford and co obviously don't believe him when he says he's happy to take a super-domestique role and probably with good reason. The guy is a born winner, like most top athletes, and when the gun goes anything can happen. Who's to say he wouldn't try and put some time into Froome on the cobbles or in the TT just to shake things up? Would be a nice bit of revenge for La Tourssuire...

Froome is nailed on for the Tour so why risk it to give Wiggins some time in the sun?

Caporegime
oh wow looked at strava my estimated power for my rides on my old bike is around 70-90watt but the 2 rides I did on my new bike are estimated to be 138watt and 140watt :O
Must be mainly down to the better aero position, still can't believe how much quicker it feels
Smashing it compared to last year, tailed off a bit recently though.

wow you started almost to the day of me last year by the looks of it :O
I avoided all the crap weather at the start of the year though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really am a wimp when it comes to 'hot' weather (typically scotsman! :p) Did my shorter 10 mile cycle tonight, 6degrees warmer than the last time, beat my time by 34 seconds but I was seriously shattered doing any type of hill. Broke my top speed by 3km/h on the big hill down though :D

Soldato

Nice work. It's nice countryside round there. Me and a mate from work did this route earlier in the year:

http://app.strava.com/activities/131578078/overview

I honestly can't think of a more interesting route with more variety than that, in terms of cycling interest and sights/countryside. It had absolutely everything. Started with some nice open descents then up a few gentle climbs into fielded countryside, then down some perilous drops to follow the river and the steam railway line to Llangollen round sleepy little lanes. Then there is the main interest of Horseshoe pass, the fast descent off the top through to windy tree lined lanes, cross a ford and then up again onto rolling heathland then back to Llandegla Forrest.

Such an amazing ride, I'm definitely going back there this year, preferably after the stupid pollen has gone away! My eyes and nose were streaming when I got back from my ride today :(

Last edited:
Associate
Looks a decent route that mate, have wondered about doing the Horseshoe Pass but the route I know would be more major roads and approach from East rather than West - used to go out that way years back on the motorbikes and used the A5104 which rode part of last year going out to Mold for the Tour of Britain. It's a lot easier on the legs by motorbike as even that road has some decent hills on it.

Did the Wild Wales Challenge last year and that had some beautiful scenery, today wasn't bad either but the variety we got was short steep hills, long steep hills, some small hills, twisty bumpy fast descents, couple of smooth, wide, FAST descents, flat bits and potholes/mud/gravel. I think I'd rather be looking up at nice hills instead of being at the top with sweat pouring off me, my heart & lungs trying to escape out of my chest and my legs saying they're not happy either :rolleyes:

Great fun of course :)

Associate
Might do that Stu, just when to find time as I'm usually doing club rides on weekends. But got holidays at end of July plus floating days to take so may get out there at some point. Maybe ride over from home. Need to get more climbs done in the Peaks too, recent ones I've done helped prepare for today's ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom