Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
3FIk7VY.jpg.png

The bit where you put the weed? bottom bracket? old bikes might not even have one for all I know :D

Oddly enough I fail to find a proper good exploded diagram like that with all the proper part names.
they are all just simple versions that don't show the working parts

Last edited:
Soldato
Bottom bracket. Can I just pick up any cheap one or does anyone have any recommendations. I want to make sure I get good quality components

Last edited:
Soldato
Why is Tiagra worse than 105?
And 105 worse than Ultegra?

I have Tiagra on Defy 2 and SRAM on my Planet X stealth TT bike.

I don't really notice any difference. What should I notice?

Weight, noise, smoothness between shifts.. For e.g my 2300 is very clunky yet rival is very direct and precise.. - not quited tho.

Man of Honour
Ultegra is better but whether or not it is enough better to be worth the extra money is debatable. Keep in mind the different versions of each too - old 105 is 10 speed, new 11 - same with ultegra.

Old tiagra was 9 speed, new is 10. And so on.

Soldato
Club local TT tonight on the 10 mile course, not the flattest, but competed a few times this year. Have noticed over my past few short TTs that I'm unable to keep my HR up all the way round, and that I spin quite quickly.

So tonight I really focused on keeping it in a bigger gear, lowering my cadence, upping my HR and feeling the burn.

It definitely worked, as my Normalised Power was up by 10 W over a slightly longer run than last weeks 10, albeit on a different course, and I took 1 minute and 10 seconds off my best time on the course to record a 24:22, and that was with a car slowing me down right at the finish, which I reckon cost me about 4 or 5 seconds.

http://www.strava.com/activities/170421374

Caporegime
I've heard really noisy ones and just assumed they were broken - not expensive! lol

Hmmm i'll have to ask them - what is better, 105 or Ultegra?

How much weight difference is there?

Carbon derailleurs make a big "thunk" noise when they shift. They cost a buttload.

105 is cheaper than ultegra. Ultegra is lighter. Whether you would benefit from the weight difference is for you to know. Are you racing? Would your riding really benefit from losing 100g or whatever that you couldn't more easily lose off, say, your belly?

Soldato
Ultegra is better but whether or not it is enough better to be worth the extra money is debatable. Keep in mind the different versions of each too - old 105 is 10 speed, new 11 - same with ultegra.

Old tiagra was 9 speed, new is 10. And so on.

Other things like certain ratios only available on ultegra vs 105. You can't get a 12-13 105 cassette but can get ultegra.

Chainsets are 170/175 at the lower price but 105 up gets you 172.5 as an option.

Soldato
You will enjoy it. I did Le Terrier last year which is a sportive around The Forest of Bowland. It was pretty brutal 9500 ft in 66 miles. Some of those climbs I did but in the other direction. Enjoy

Cheers will do!

I've got a book by Dave Barter called "Great British Bike Rides" and its got some brilliant routes in it, I highly recommend it. But, it also has this route in, which is a monster, "Beast of Bowland"!

http://app.strava.com/routes/672633

This is the book by the way, its superb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Briti...5464&sr=8-1&keywords=great+british+bike+rides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom