Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Carbon derailleurs make a big "thunk" noise when they shift. They cost a buttload.

105 is cheaper than ultegra. Ultegra is lighter. Whether you would benefit from the weight difference is for you to know. Are you racing? Would your riding really benefit from losing 100g or whatever that you couldn't more easily lose off, say, your belly?

Wow. I could lose more weight by going toilet or not having a cake!

So I'd be better off with better wheels rather than groupset?

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just purchased a giant defy 5 2014 road bike, partly to commute the "4mile round trip to work" and partly to stay fit, explore the city and surroundings more and do some milage

Iv got most things but need a cheap but decent helmet, can I just order one of eBay? Any brands to look out for that are good and not going to break the bank, also I'm guessing people travel with their laptops? I have a 16" dell laptop which I would like to carry in a well padded backpack if anyone know of any decent cheap ones :) ta

Soldato
With a 58t big chainring his top gear - 58*12 - would actually be marginally faster than the 53*11 that most of us aren't even remotely capable of using.

But yeah, he does have an 11t as well ;)

I hear the 11t is his bailout gear.

Wow. I could lose more weight by going toilet or not having a cake!

So I'd be better off with better wheels rather than groupset?

If you've got a groupset that works, then buy the wheels. A groupset is a marginal upgrade. I'm quite finicky about my equipment, but I went from Campagnolo Xenon to SRAM Force and it was like going from a kid's toy to a proper machine. The Xenon was 2008/9 though and bottom of the range groupsets have moved on a huge amount since then. Recent Tiagra, for example, is pretty high quality stuff. It doesn't shift quite as nice as the top range stuff and it looks pretty terrible, but its functionality is now at a point where it works properly and reliably. I couldn't say that about the Xenon.

Last edited:
Soldato
No Friday bunch because I'm too soft. Got up sat down check weather, big cloud of rain showing. Open door to have a look when it's arriving as I can't hear rain.

Monsoon about 50m from my door amid huge thunder.

Close door and go back to bed... :(

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;26658084 said:
Fine effort this morning Shamrock. Very impressed.

I expect to see you vanishing into the distance on the 10th.

Cheers! I think I'm ready for a strong performance in the 20k sprint next Saturday.

For the Ride100, I've never really chain-ganged a sportive before so I will probably try and draft as much as I can. Do you think draft legal mini-TT bars are allowed for it? I think they'll be handy for solo efforts on such a flat course.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;26658239 said:
I don't think you are allowed any form of aero bar at all.

I can't find it in the website but the mag that came with your rider number had a section about what was and wasn't allowed.

I've seen people on numerous sportives with aero bars or even TT bikes, despite the rules saying otherwise. They will probably be stricter on the Ride 100 though due to the number of people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom