Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good work! You won't be a fat man for long notching up rides like that! ;)

Cheers, the weight is coming off nicely :D

Its good cycling round there. I did this route today:

http://app.strava.com/activities/214183688

Great routes and some decent hills too.

That's the sort of run I'm looking forward to doing,

a few more months under my belt b4 trying something like that .:)

Had a good look around Wrightington/Parbold way, looks like some nice rides to be had.

Bought one of those mesh saddles that are supposed to be real comfy, only £4.50 delivered from China so what the heck.

vertu_ccav_s_ciclismo_da_bicicleta_da_bicicleta_escavar_saddle_assento_branco_HL1753W_3_.jpg

I managed to get out for 20 miles this afternoon. First and only ride of the week. I was on my old, heavy bike because it's wet and I wanted mudguards. Not super quick, but still averaged over 17mph, which I'm happy with. It was getting dark by the time I got back...

I've been thinking about some different routes for the group I ride with, as our routemaster has a habit of always doing the same two routes... He mentioned a cafe that we ought to try, which is conveniently close to a route I was thinking of. All being well, I'll be able to get us out on that route next Saturday. So, at what point on the ride do I tell them about this climb? As we round the corner at the bottom, do we think?

Well I managed to get my GSC10 working, browsing around forums there used to be a known issue with water getting into the unit if the screw for the speed sensor arm is loose. Unsure if Garmin addressed the issue as most reports were from 2012. I left mine overnight with the battery removed and blasted it with a hair dryer a few times, it seems to have done the trick as I refitted it and had a good turbo session this afternoon.

http://www.strava.com/activities/214740027

29 miles watching Sufferfest - The Violator... Furthest and longest i've been on the bike but... Weirdly my speed was quite high as I felt good, also the resistance felt very low on my trainer... So I was a couple of gears higher than normal. Also had a problem where one of my mudguards started to rub so took a breather to fix it and change my shorts (chafing sucks!).

Data from the ride is very strange, check the top speed lol :)

had one for a couple of months! :) very comfy, my fave saddle for sure! and for a fiver I can't say no lol, will be getting another for my other bike

I thought you bought one that is solid rather than with the mesh/web design?

I bought a (knock-off) Tioga Spyder but I've not fitted it yet due to concerns about it not really being rated for anyone over 83kg :/

I managed to get out for 20 miles this afternoon. First and only ride of the week. I was on my old, heavy bike because it's wet and I wanted mudguards. Not super quick, but still averaged over 17mph, which I'm happy with. It was getting dark by the time I got back...

I've been thinking about some different routes for the group I ride with, as our routemaster has a habit of always doing the same two routes... He mentioned a cafe that we ought to try, which is conveniently close to a route I was thinking of. All being well, I'll be able to get us out on that route next Saturday. So, at what point on the ride do I tell them about this climb? As we round the corner at the bottom, do we think?

Just after the first shallow bit seconds before you come round the corner to see the wall of tarmac stretching up to 14%!!

Are you going to the cafe in Kings Moss? If so, its good there, had a really nice cold lemonade from there on a ride during the summer. I'm sure they'd do a good cuppa for you too!

I thought you bought one that is solid rather than with the mesh/web design?

I bought a (knock-off) Tioga Spyder but I've not fitted it yet due to concerns about it not really being rated for anyone over 83kg :/

I bought two, the carbon fibre one was ok but didn't suit my bum! this tho seems to be the best I've had, very flexible and comfy.

I'm 73kg and it does the job no problems, can't see it really breaking, the plastic is quite thick and a bit "rubbery"

I bought two, the carbon fibre one was ok but didn't suit my bum! this tho seems to be the best I've had, very flexible and comfy.

I'm 73kg and it does the job no problems, can't see it really breaking, the plastic is quite thick and a bit "rubbery"

Maybe I'll get round to fitting it then. I was trying to use the not fitting it as a spur to get back to focussing on my cut but... that hasn't worked so far :p

I really could do with fitting it to one of my bikes anyhow. Using the old crappy saddle on my turbo trainer bike I'm pretty sure will cause me to not be able to have children or something. It's like it was designed by someone that hates men :/

Having just finished 'The Race to Truth' by Emma O'Reilly, I would thoroughly recommend it, read cover to cover over this weekend. In a funny way, David Walsh comes across in a poorer light than Armstrong. Certainly worth reading, as are racing through the dark and the secret race, which are referred to at times.

Think I'm a bit doped out now, however, can anyone recommend a decent cycling book that isn't an autobiography or about LA / drugs?

A word of caution though, the wet leaves round there make the road slippery and do not go over the man hole covers near the top as you will wheel spin in the wet and can be quite dangerous. I was up there yesterday and it wasn't so bad with leaves but out for the covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom