Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I've got one only had limited riding before winter kicked in and that was recovering from my accident so the limiting factor was me.

Its certainly light and seemed responsive and comfortable. If you want to know anything else let me know:)

Ahhh cool!

What made you buy it, over all the competitors?

Also, what is the sizing like, going from their website? If it gets delivered and the size isn't right, are they reasonable with returns? I did their online calculator and it recommended I get a Small (53) which I was really quite surprised by. I really expected a M (56) as that is what my Giant Defy is.

(Sorry, lots of questions!)

Thanks for all the other suggestions. Its a minefield with so many options to go with.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fun Sunday ride today. Stopped in a nice coffee shop in Altrincham (almost nice enough to forget I was actually in Altrincham) on the way back.. which is where I stopped recording the main bit of the ride. Worked out at just over 80 miles so I'm quite happy with that. Certainly a lot easier than last time I did this route whilst hungover/ill.

http://www.strava.com/activities/219856986

Soldato
You mean buy a garmin, not a garmin mount for my S5?

Anyone?

Let me know how the new Garmin speed/cadence is - I just swapped my GSC10 from road to hybrid (trainer) and really can't see me calibrating it properly every time... My average speeds and cadence were all over the place!

2014-11-14%2012.38.40.jpg

Setup my hybrid with its turbo tyre and had a blast at 'Sufferfest - S Club'... Really struggled after half way so sacked it off at 30 mins and watched some YouTube for a long cool down, then felt strong again so did an intensive end standing sprint!
^^^ Edited to include picture & Strava link.
Did you choose that one in the hope that the sound track was by S-Club 7 :p
Don't stop movin!

Of course, an inspiration to us all! :p

Minor achievement by me today. At the start of the year I weighed in at around 15.5 stone so it pushed me into reducing the intake of crap (chocolate with my cup of tea at work) and also got me into getting a bike to get a bit fitter. At May, I got my bike and started cycling again, but at the same time (sept - nov) i was roped into the Football Fans in Training (think this is a scotland thing just now) and took half hour sessions with the club manager to lose inches round the waist. I weighed myself this morning and I'm now down to 14stone :) When i started the FFIT stuff i was 97.7kg and 102cms around the waist, fast forward to this Monday past and I'm 91.9kg and 98cms waist. I'm hoping to get down to nearer 13 - 13.5stone in weight but I'm happy with my progress so far. Apologies for the mixture of metric and imperial measurements :p

Awesome work mate, keep up the good work! :D

I use silk liners (~£8-10 from eBay IIRC) inside my cheapy Aldi/Crane 'winter' gloves and they're fine down to about 5C - I don't tend to go out if it's much colder than that or for much over an hour though. Worth trying for the extra flexibility they give you I think.

After my bike fit in the summer I finally got round to getting some short reach/compact drop bars, straight away they're more comfortable with less stretching and having to shift hand position :).

Any pics/link for the short drops? Think this is the way I'm going to have to go...

Oh and I found the Aldi/Crane gloves fine last 'winter'... Although we hardly had any freezing temps! This winter will be their real test! If they struggle I've got snowboarding mits I'll wear anyways! ;)

Anyone used Sportpursuit.com? Great lights on a good deal there atm: Exposure Flash & Flare (inc batteries) £40

Man of Honour
Yup, we mean a Garmin rather than a Garmin mount for your phone :)

810s are fairly cheap these days if you need navigation - and you can save a fair bit of cash by just using the OSM maps, or dodgy maps if you're that way inclined.

If you don't want navigation then the older Garmins are fine. Alternatively the Wahoo RFLKT isn't too expensive and hooks up to your phone.

Man of Honour
I used to use those kind of lights and I don't rate them personally. They last a long time though and if you're mostly riding on lit roads I guess they're okay. I prefer having something a bit brighter myself.

Soldato
First ride on my Sprinter Gatorskin tubs today, impressed with them for the money. Not as nice as a latex tubular but perfect for winter riding duties.

Are those anatomic or normal drops (i.e. are the drops angled or curved)? Look good though for the money!

I've got FSA Wing Pro Compacts, really nice bars.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ahhh cool!

What made you buy it, over all the competitors?

Also, what is the sizing like, going from their website? If it gets delivered and the size isn't right, are they reasonable with returns? I did their online calculator and it recommended I get a Small (53) which I was really quite surprised by. I really expected a M (56) as that is what my Giant Defy is.

(Sorry, lots of questions!)

Thanks for all the other suggestions. Its a minefield with so many options to go with.

Best bang for buck , I would go a size up I did and it fits fine. Returns are good within 30 days I believe.

Only thing is ask for the normal seat post and not the fancy V2 one as they have had loads of problems with it! Plus you get a £90 back as well:)

Man of Honour
meh I think it doesn't do much! raw power for short bursts is all I can think of really..

It made a big difference to me. More the core strength side of things - endurance in the form of my back not utterly dying when I went on long rides.

edit: That said, perhaps it was just the move from sedentary > commute cycling > commute cycling + core strength > tons of cycling + core strength.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom