Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Associate
Guys I pick my first road bike up tomorrow and I don't think it comes with any pedals (second hand!)

I've never used SPDs before, would you recommend going SPD straight away and taking it easy?

Also any recommendations on some beginner pedals and shoes?

Associate
Guys I pick my first road bike up tomorrow and I don't think it comes with any pedals (second hand!)

I've never used SPDs before, would you recommend going SPD straight away and taking it easy?

Also any recommendations on some beginner pedals and shoes?

Maybe just get some cheap flat pedals for a couple of weeks or so to start with. Then when you've got your bike set up how you want , got used to the gears and stuff , maybe get some clipless pedals.

Soldato
Minor achievement by me today. At the start of the year I weighed in at around 15.5 stone so it pushed me into reducing the intake of crap (chocolate with my cup of tea at work) and also got me into getting a bike to get a bit fitter. At May, I got my bike and started cycling again, but at the same time (sept - nov) i was roped into the Football Fans in Training (think this is a scotland thing just now) and took half hour sessions with the club manager to lose inches round the waist. I weighed myself this morning and I'm now down to 14stone :) When i started the FFIT stuff i was 97.7kg and 102cms around the waist, fast forward to this Monday past and I'm 91.9kg and 98cms waist. I'm hoping to get down to nearer 13 - 13.5stone in weight but I'm happy with my progress so far. Apologies for the mixture of metric and imperial measurements :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Crikey, people moaning about Vittoria Rally tubulars not being round weren't joking. Can't use them like that, they are going to have to go back.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Crikey, people moaning about Vittoria Rally tubulars not being round weren't joking. Can't use them like that, they are going to have to go back.

Nice. :o There don't seem to be any good cheap tubs really for outside use - I don't mind Vittoria Pistas but they're only good for the track. I don't mind my Conti Sprinters on the track but they're probably not great for outside either as they have no puncture protection.

I've got a set of Sprinter Gatorskins glued up ready to go on a ride tomorrow so I'll report back on how those go. They're not "cheap" but are cheaper than some tubs at least...

Caporegime
41 miles this morning. About 2500ft of climbing. Average of just 15mph - we were taking it easy as we had a guy with us who's just coming back to cycling. He was on a raleigh 531 bike with shimano 600 and early 105 kit and downtube shifters. Lovely looking bike, but dead heavy.

We also saw some great bikes at the cafe. There was a Specialized Tarmac, and a Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2 with di2 dura ace kit and zipp 303s, which adds up to well over £5k of bike. Very nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom