Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It would be pretty much spot on for me at 83kg.

The closest ride I can find is:
Time: 4:00:10
Climbing: 4472ft
Avg power: 258 (weighted avg, which i think is what the strava 'estimated average' compares to?)
avg speed: 20.7

I was riding with a couple of mates for about half of that, so the speed is higher than the power would normally give. The rest of it was on my own. I think if i'd done it all on my own the avg speed would be around 18-19mph.

Soldato
Pretty happy managed 844km in Feb, especially considering the rest week I took. Expecting march to be a fair bit higher as I'm off on training camp in a week :)

Out of interest, what tri suit do you wear?

I thought I'd get picked up on that. I accept looking like a **** doing triathlon, par for the course. Pointy hat and all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tempted to buy a Planet X London Road frame and do a 105 build with TRP HY-RD's, as I'm not sure how I feel about going to SRAM double-tap and a less common groupset...

Decisions :(

Soldato
I thought I'd get picked up on that. I accept looking like a **** doing triathlon, par for the course. Pointy hat and all.

I was curious, not trying to pick you up on looking like grudas.:p

I've been looking at some and noticed most tri suits are sleeveless but Castelli does one with sleeves to save 9W on the bike!:D

I also want a pointy hat.

I like having all the gear with no idea.:o

Soldato

I've been looking at some and noticed most tri suits are sleeveless but Castelli does one with sleeves to save 9W on the bike!:D

Ah OK, I just had a tri separate top last year when I was doing long distance, as I wanted to be able to whip it off when I needed the loo. If I was doing any this year, I'd go for a skinsuit type now though for maximum aero. Castelli looks good as do a fair few other manufacturers some of which may be cheaper, I quite liked the look of the Pearl Izumi Octane suit as well.

Helmet wise, I used a Bell Javelin, which was good, although the visor used to steam up sometimes, and it did run pretty hot. Again if I was doing anything long again, I'd just use my evade, its comfortable with good airflow, and I can choose what glasses I want to wear too.

Soldato
Shame sleeveless tops look terrible though

better than tan lines imo? this is pretty much the only reason I wear sleeveless, I can't stand tan lines :S

I have a lidl saddle bag like this one:
j0eeyHU.jpg

It has a clip on the top which attaches to the saddle rails but if you dont use that, the attachment on the top of the bag is the perfect size to thread a toe strap through.
Strap through the clip, through the saddle rails and round the bottom of the bag holds it nicely in place (with the velcro around the seatpost too). You can also use it to compress the bag a bit and stop things moving around inside.

I had one of those.. tore the side of it, would keep on detaching it self from the plastic clip too? very random.

Be careful, it's not listed as waterproof! I have the Ortlieb micro but I don't carry my pump or chain tool in it, I have the pump mounted next to one of my bottle cages. The bag is ok but again and again I'm edging towards something else but I'm going to have one last effort by wrapping my metal bits in old inner tube to try and reduce the rattle.

Hit a slight snag with my Superstar Garmin/Gopro mount and the Gopro part of it doesn't appear to be threaded (like in this picture) so I can't use my GoPro to VIRB adaptor. Going to email Superstar now and see what they say...!

not too bothered about waterproofing, would only use it 10-15 times/year :)

eh? my bits from garmin base bundle + the superstar mount fit together no problems and work perfectly fine? What are you having problems with?

Tempted to buy a Planet X London Road frame and do a 105 build with TRP HY-RD's, as I'm not sure how I feel about going to SRAM double-tap and a less common groupset...

Decisions :(

whats bothering you RE sram? they're a massive manufacturer and I don't see why you would hold back on it? it is less common but not because its worse or because the parts are not available.. honestly, I haven't had any problems with my "Rival" groupo, and I love the double tap! very easy to use and works perfectly :) but you'd need to try to see if you prefer it over shimano, I just risked it and it paid off - then again I can tell you that I'd go either shimano or sram, both do the job! but sram downshifts are just mental fast.

Associate

If you want a pointy hat I'm going to be selling my completely unused Cratoni C-Pace with visor......

Associate
Not a lot I'm afraid.

I struggled to sell my CR1 frame because it had cosmetic damage and the fork serial number was missing. I ended up giving it to a mate.

Soldato
Cheers.

I'm doing the cycle leg of a 70.3 team relay and an individual Olympic Tri.

Would definitely use a skinsuit for the 70.3 then, and probably the Oly tri too, as you shouldn't be needing the loo in either of those.

Which 70.3 are you doing? I'm doing the bike leg of the Outlaw half this year, should be a good fun 56mile TT. See if I can get anywhere near fastest bike split.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom