Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I am jealous of these 100 milers - i will do it this year. planning a monster 200+ miles weekend including a skydive.

How often do you get punctures though for the regular 100 milers?

I've been VERY lucky this year. Not had a single puncture on my commuter bike, so that's almost 2k of riding hassle free.

On my Boardman, I've had two 'punctures', both snake bite ones caused by riding over potholes and the rear rim hit the tarmac too hard. Proper annoyed I was for one of them as that was in the middle of another 100 mile ride!

i think your the closesest person to me in this thread, fancy doing some sunday rides?

I might be busy in the coming weekends moving house, but I should be able to squeeze some rides in. Whereabouts are you?

Soldato
Don't use that gear or your drivetrain won't last 5 minutes.

It isn't that serious. Modern components are much more durable compared to when this may have been an issue. The difference these days on decent groupsets I believe is negligible, and even less on compacts. I read a report that showed over something like 2000 miles, cycling in nothing but big-big would cost you around 31 miles of additional wear.

Better advice imo is to go by sound or do what feels right, some ratios combinations work better than others on different components/setups. But don't let it worry you should you cross chain.

Soldato
I didn't think it was that serious either. My local bike shop (a very good one) told me that you can run the largest cogs front and back if you wanted. (SRAM Force kit)

I must admit I don't go all the way up to the largest cog on the back at all, as I find it better to switch to the smaller gear on the front.

Soldato
Done 35 miles yesterday, the wind was so bad it was hard to get any speed up, was a constant battle all day and felt ruined at the end of it. Nice ride tho:)

Soldato
I'm in a similar situation, I've tried multiple times to plan a route on google maps at home and then remember it off by heart but I always end up getting lost and having to check my phone a few times and that really kills my momentum. I looked at the Garmin 800 but I couldn't justify spending £200+ so I think I'll settle for a good stem mount for my iPhone.

Riding out of London is a ****ing nightmare, you end up spending 30 or 40 miles of your ride just getting in and out of the city.

Soldato
Done 35 miles yesterday, the wind was so bad it was hard to get any speed up, was a constant battle all day and felt ruined at the end of it. Nice ride tho:)

Yes the wind was relentless yesterday, I had a moment on the way back where I was struggling to maintain 7mph on a flat got out the saddle and gave it everything and still couldn't get above 9.6mph lol. Had me seriously cursing mother nature.

Although feels a bit strange today that I don't need to go out and cycle an obscene amount of miles in this awful weather. I love that the day after the challenge finishes the weather forecast is sun and clear skies.

Soldato
I'll be happy with the bare minimum 200 mile badge on that one :p

What was your total mileage for the Rapha challenge in the end touch?

Soldato
Fair play, I'm still reeling about my missing 7 miles from frozen Garmin but finished at 116% :) My legs are feeling it today. First time all week but noticed the fatigue kicking in yesterday.

Soldato
Not a bad year of cycling for me. (Old fart of 43:D) Time to set a few new goals for 2013.
Set a target of 5,000 miles for the year & completed it 6 weeks early.
Disappointed with my end of year, doing only 500 miles in the last 6 weeks.

Count: 427 Activities
Distance: 5,509.17 mi
Time: 288:27:51 h:m:s
Max Speed: 46.6 mph
Avg Speed: 19.0 mph
Max HR: 208 bpm
Avg HR: 154 bpm
Calories: 220,285 C
Avg Bike Cadence: 98 rpm
Elevation Gain: 70,047 m

Soldato
The wind was absolutely terrible on the way in to work this morning. For the first time since I started cycling as an adult I was actually frightened while riding. It got to the point where I was seriously considering getting off and walking. I really hope it settles down by tomorrow, I aim to get out on the bike for a proper ride, as I've not had one since September!

Soldato
That's a LOT of cycling. How'd you find the time to do all that, or is a lot of it commuting? Very impressive!

I commute about 10 miles a day, plus in the summer I stayed out after work getting whatever mileage I could in.
Was averaging 600- 700 miles a month between April - September. June was a bad month as I had 3 weeks off the bike due to getting married.

Best month was September where I managed 1000 miles in 30 days, another one of my goals for 2012.

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed just over 3k this year.

I plan to hit 6k next year. I travel abroad a lot as part of my job so that makes things tricky. The reason I only did 3k this year was because I only properly started commuting in the last third of the year. I was a bit of a fair weather cyclist before that lol! If there was even a hint of rain, I'd go to work with my old man. Not any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom