Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered a few jackets - not really sure what I want!!

Ordered the Mens Langcliffe High Performance Rain Jacket (Black) - from sports pursuit
Also the Castelli Squadra Long Water Resistant Jacket and the dhb EQ2.5 Waterproof Cycling Jacket from wiggle

Going to try all 3 and decide which suits me best. I know the Castelli one is more of a back pocket emergency rain one than the other 2. Will see when they arrive and return a couple of them.

I just want to get back riding again as soon as possible but my only spare bike is a hybrid :(

Then ride the hybrid :confused: Sure it won't be as good as your road bike but any bike is better than no bike at all.

I ride my hybrid exclusively for about four months of the year simply because I don't want to fit mud guards to my road bike :o Its fine TBH and in the spring I get a free speed boost :p

Apologies for Facebook video, but it should be publicly viewable...

https://www.facebook.com/harry.gibbings.5/videos/150843058628666/?pnref=story

Road bike with 250W e-assist.:eek:

That would be the only bike capable of getting me a KOM on Strava :p

Last edited:
It's more of an issue with carbon wheels as they just act like sails, sailing you right in to the ditch

You get used to them tbh though at first they're definitely a bit alarming.

GAINS y0! :D I don't mind the wind if it's constant, its the gusty nature of the recent stuff that is so frustrating.

You're right - but I should probably factor in a proper rest at some point to actually gain those gains :p

Riding back to work at lunch today and on a long road with a steady decline where I can usually go at 22mph without putting any effort out I was putting out over 200w constantly and sitting at 12-14 mph :/

I think it depends on the wheel. Oddly find my DAc24s more of a handful in crosswinds that 60mm deep sections.

Should try riding a tri spoke :D

You're right - but I should probably factor in a proper rest at some point to actually gain those gains :p

Riding back to work at lunch today and on a long road with a steady decline where I can usually go at 22mph without putting any effort out I was putting out over 200w constantly and sitting at 12-14 mph :/

Yeah I've not had any real rest days recently, but just had few lower mileage days, planning to take it a bit easier week before Majorca to freshen myself up! Problem with the wind is any ride home from work is always harder than it should be just to get there. It's the gusting that frustrates me most!

Yeah I've not had any real rest days recently, but just had few lower mileage days, planning to take it a bit easier week before Majorca to freshen myself up! Problem with the wind is any ride home from work is always harder than it should be just to get there. It's the gusting that frustrates me most!

I can live with the gusts as they've been at least but when they're really bad they are indeed a bit much. I had a full rest day on Sunday but it doesn't seem to have done much. Maybe due to all the beer...

Then ride the hybrid :confused: Sure it won't be as good as your road bike but any bike is better than no bike at all.

I ride my hybrid exclusively for about four months of the year simply because I don't want to fit mud guards to my road bike :o Its fine TBH and in the spring I get a free speed boost :p

Yeah, 100 miles (my usual target for the week) is pretty uncomfortable and slow on the hybrid though.

Ordered a few jackets - not really sure what I want!!

Ordered the Mens Langcliffe High Performance Rain Jacket (Black) - from sports pursuit
Also the Castelli Squadra Long Water Resistant Jacket and the dhb EQ2.5 Waterproof Cycling Jacket from wiggle

Going to try all 3 and decide which suits me best. I know the Castelli one is more of a back pocket emergency rain one than the other 2. Will see when they arrive and return a couple of them.

Interested in how the Langcliffe performs, do let us know. :D

that's higher than my current ftp :( god how many KOMs etc are going to get destroyed by this stuff in the years to come, will be almost impossible to detect as you'll still have HRM/Cadence/power showing up

yup! I'm all for new tech but this sucks :o it's already annoying seeing people with electric bikes over-taking you up hills with a smile on their face but with this you wont be able to tell who's assisted and who's not

that's higher than my current ftp :( god how many KOMs etc are going to get destroyed by this stuff in the years to come, will be almost impossible to detect as you'll still have HRM/Cadence/power showing up

The problem isn't with e-bikes per se - for some people I'm sure they'd be great. If I'm 60, still on a road bike and in need of a little help getting over a hill then great, and I don't see why I ought not to have a good looking bike If I'm still flexible enough in back and wallet to afford one.

The only issue is use in competition - it's cheating, it's fraudulent, it ruins the notion fairness and the spirit of competition. Strava and KOMs, who honestly cares, you may as well go for a wee in the wind - go out cycling with your mates and enjoy it. Whether a website says you're a good cyclist is completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
Who cares about KoMs. That world is all totally fraught with subjective factors - weather, wind, how far into a ride you are, whether you rocked up in your car and did ten minutes on rollers at the bottom before blitzing up... Use strava to compare yourself to yourself, not others. If you want to compare yourself to others, ride with others, or better yet race with them. Of course, that is where the real problem with these motors comes in, because people can and will race with them. Expect to see the Uci mandating that bikes be X-rayed immediately after you cross the line while you're having the mandatory wee.

Will depend where the power is measured from if it is accurate or 250w out or not.

Pedals and crank arms should show true rider power. Not sure about crank based, but hub based would give a false reading I think.

So my rear Knog battery is lasting only a few hours between charges, I am looking for some lights again, need to be USB rechargeable and not huge. I liked the moon nebula, but don't want to pay an extortionate amount. £30 would be top end. Usage is mostly commuting so needs to be robust and easily removed.

Also need some new tyres, best price on GP4000s that anyone has seen recently?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom