Road Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found what appears to be a crack in my frame on the underside of the top tube. Can feel it with a finger nail and it's pretty visible black mark lines on red paint.

Could just be a crack in the paint/lacquer. Personally I'd sand it down and see if it's just the paint or if it's the frame.

Cube Agree GTC Race 2015 is the bike - not sure how you would call the frame

I have the Pro. I do not believe there is a drain hole on these frames but yours certainly has one. I'll double check my frame later but that's not exactly a hole that could just appear, definitely agree (ha!) with what everyone is saying.

Could just be a crack in the paint/lacquer. Personally I'd sand it down and see if it's just the paint or if it's the frame.

Hmm. I guess that is where this becomes difficult... if sanded down for checking that's even more cosmetic damage than there already is.

I have the Pro. I do not believe there is a drain hole on these frames but yours certainly has one. I'll double check my frame later but that's not exactly a hole that could just appear, definitely agree (ha!) with what everyone is saying.

Yeah. Seems like a very odd hole to just appear but also doesn't look extremely well cut!

Bah. Didn't get to use TrainerRoad last night as I ended up spending all evening in A&E with my son as he fractured his thumb fighting with his little brother.

Kids are idiots.

Jumped on Zwift this morning though, did my standard John's Short Mix, which was cool. Rode in to work and will get my FTP test on TR done when I get in.

Hmm. I guess that is where this becomes difficult... if sanded down for checking that's even more cosmetic damage than there already is.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the choice between fixable cosmetic damage or the chance of my top-tube breaking as I'm doing 40mph+ on a downhill is a fairly easy choice!

Maybe it's just me, but I think the choice between fixable cosmetic damage or the chance of my top-tube breaking as I'm doing 40mph+ on a downhill is a fairly easy choice!

Oh, totally agree on that! However, I imagine insurance should take into account cosmetic damage as well. I just want to get back riding again as soon as possible but my only spare bike is a hybrid :(

Aha, pretty much what I meant :D I actually took it mountain biking on bridleways the other weekend... pretty useless in the thick mud. Jack of all trades master of none.

Yup :(

To be honest if you're planning on the insurance route I'd probably go and get it checked properly straight away. Or at least as properly as possible given the carbon.

To be honest the hole doesn't look that bad to me - as in, a cut hole with paint over it rather than a bit of carbon that has broken off/cracked.

Is there a particular reason for making the swap? The weight saving is trivial, so surely there are better places to put your money?

Unless you're getting it for free, I guess...
Basically just because, I like how it looks,
I like the fact that a 200g decrease in weight should put me at about 6.8kg on a Alu frame.

Because it's sexy.
Also stiff crank bro?

Plus its like 150 quid all in, I would then have the best bits of red (the brakes and the crank (i have force everything else).

I can sell my Force crank for like 60 quid so it's like a 150 quid change

Yup :(

To be honest if you're planning on the insurance route I'd probably go and get it checked properly straight away. Or at least as properly as possible given the carbon.

To be honest the hole doesn't look that bad to me - as in, a cut hole with paint over it rather than a bit of carbon that has broken off/cracked.

Yeah. Not sure where to get it checked exactly for a proper inspection. Might try Sigma Sport or Pearson cycles as they're fairly close and reputable round here.

Oh, totally agree on that! However, I imagine insurance should take into account cosmetic damage as well. I just want to get back riding again as soon as possible but my only spare bike is a hybrid :(

Why would you do that to yourself! I have three bikes and three sets of wheels between the two geared bikes! I'm not taking any chances.

Why would you do that to yourself! I have three bikes and three sets of wheels between the two geared bikes! I'm not taking any chances.

Ha. I literally only started road riding in July.. well unless you count the 3-4 months of hybrid on road :D I have a spare set of wheels (Zondas) however no spare bike. I've been meaning to sort out a cheaper commuter for a while so might end up having to do that pronto!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom