Road Cycling

Soldato
Yeah, your assuming I have some legs already

No, I'm not. :)

It will take a few weeks to even think about putting in targets of 200w ftp etc

Why would you put in 200 if you're not at that level? If you're only at 140, you put in 140? This is what I don't get. Why would you think you need to be at a 'good' level to start training? But, I don't know what I'm talking about, so maybe others can correct me :) Just seems odd to me...

When you done your 4DP test was it straight after no activity for many months or were you already comfortable riding at reasonable pace for twenty to thirty miles?

I was at a pretty good level, but I wish I'd known about structured training and how well it works when I wasn't, I think I'd have gotten into shape a lot quicker!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
All I'm mentioning is from experience trying to go straight to FTP testing and 4DP when you have not been on the bike for ages is not a good idea. As you have shared, you went onto that test with good foundations in place. Im not at that point yet and with reality factored in yes setting a goal of a figure with 140 ftp would be about right - but im not committing to something like Sufferfest just yet. I would rather get the legs unrusted and embark on that idea a few weeks down the line. :)

Soldato
I'll say no more as it would only be what I already said and by the sounds of it, you're not getting the point I was trying to make, so lets just move on :) It's not that I think your way is 'wrong' so all is good :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'll say no more as it would only be what I already said and by the sounds of it, you're not getting the point I was trying to make, so lets just move on :) It's not that I think your way is 'wrong' so all is good :)

I understand, your saying just follow the plan and crank it up from there. I was originally asking for what apps/tools people use in their setups in case I was unaware of more handy items.

Associate
Depends how much time you have now. I think if you can do 30 mins to and hour 3 or 4 times a week just the odd indoor ride, and occasional group ride by the end of the month you should be able to start an 8 to 12 week training session.

I understand what Andy is saying, if your FTP was say '300' at peak fitness but now it is only half of that, your training will only be based on what it currently is. And will build you up to where you used to be or want to be.

I have some training sessions on Zwift and if I'm not feeling great or tired, I really struggle so I turn the bias down a bit, but other days I've found it too easy so turned it up.

Soldato
Warmth is slowly getting there.
All I'm mentioning is from experience trying to go straight to FTP testing and 4DP when you have not been on the bike for ages is not a good idea. As you have shared, you went onto that test with good foundations in place. Im not at that point yet and with reality factored in yes setting a goal of a figure with 140 ftp would be about right - but im not committing to something like Sufferfest just yet. I would rather get the legs unrusted and embark on that idea a few weeks down the line. :)

Well not really, you start lower and work at the level you're at, so if you're at 140w for 20mins your zones are based on that, if they used to be 200w you'll notice you ramp up quickly. But there is definitely no harm going straight in and doing intervals based around a 140w ftp from the off.

Warmth is slowly getting there. Wind was a killer today but I was sweating like a mofo when I stopped/went uphill, popped to see my mum mid ride and missus came and dropped off card, by time I went to leave had a puncture. Pain as I couldn't be arsed to replace it and just jumped in the car, but got a good ride in up to that point.

Soldato
Likely more of a GPS/phone bug. I don't think many of us in here actually use the Strava app.

Anyway, it will exclude sections without movement from moving time when it processes the file on their site I think. At least it does for third party device files.

Soldato
Haha, saw a mate the other day who said he'd got one recently. I asked him what groupset, "mechanical dura ace, I don't get on with electrics, and it's got a lovely threaded bottom bracket" :D

Bloody old timers with all their money.

Caporegime
Likely more of a GPS/phone bug. I don't think many of us in here actually use the Strava app.

Anyway, it will exclude sections without movement from moving time when it processes the file on their site I think. At least it does for third party device files.
Thanks. It's strange, almost as if it uncalibrates itself over time needing an uninstall and reinstall to get it to stop.

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations for bike fitting around Worcester way?

Honestly, if you're an experienced rider, I wouldn't bother unless you want a specific optimal setup for a certain ride you want to do. You will already know what your body can and can't manage in terms of reach and stack and to an extent saddle height and this also varies slightly depending on ride type, hours training etc. Had a retul fit, spoken to others that have had them, had saddle fit etc. They can be great for a specific targeted ride and a beginner, not so much for someone more experienced with mixed hours and training.

It's also not uncommon to see people online mention saddle heights being too high from fitters. I would tend to agree and my own was the same, although to be fair, some of this comes down to an increase in hours spent cycling as people progress, and generally in turn, if the hours are noticeably higher, a slightly lower saddle being better.

Soldato
My Edge 810 has been having some issues over past week. Tends to go through these periods now and again. First off I couldn't sync a ride, so I had to repair bluetooth etc. Next day I couldn't sync route from Strava and realised 10 mins into ride so I sat around re-pairing etc until it proceeded to download every single route again. Then I couldn't sync that ride so used computer. Since I couldn't even boot the thing. It would just load maps and then shut off with a long beep. Faffed around deleting part downloaded NewFiles to no avail. Pulled the SD card and it booted! I don't actually use the SD card for recording but it does store the map files as they're quite big. I guess I'll have to dig out another old SD card.

I should probably just get a Wahoo...

I kinda wish someone made a more open bike computer. Would be nice if I could dev little addons/automations into it. Hammerhead's offering looks a little more open but quite expensive.

Soldato
Looks like it might be TT season, got a Dura-ace chain to go on, need to clean it and wax it up this week, weather improving too.

Also got some muc off chamois cream to try, merlin didn’t have assos but they do in store for some reason :o anyway the muc off stuff comes in a tub twice as big as normal so see if it’s any good!

Soldato
Honestly couldn't care less about getting to normal PSI on a mini pump. Happy to ride home at 50-60psi. 100psi does not sound fun. I can get 80psi out of mine if I try but it takes a while...

Soldato
I lost my mini pump on the Rapha Hell of the north ride 2018 and can count on one hand how many flats I have had since!

I take my chances with a couple of co2s!

Back
Top Bottom