Road Cycling

Soldato
How old is the cable? You would naturally reindex on a periodic basis anyway as the cable stretches.

5 years. 3,463 miles according to Strava, but I expect it has had a few unrecorded outings too. I've booked it in for a new cable. I frayed the end anyway in my troubleshooting so would like a new cable now.

Soldato
Haha, this made me chuckle! Although with that much going wrong sounds more like you needed the willpower of an IM!

Why so hard to buy tubes? You're near one of the most popular places in Europe to ride a bike so must be a bunch of shops there! I get why you're using TPU but have to consider unlikely many of the traditional/small bike shops will carry any of them, or limited choice. Also many cheap TPU are heavier than better branded latex and butyl tubes... So just buy quality tubes - Continental Race 28 or Schwalbe SV15/20. Likely the ones you'll find in bike shops too. But also quite key to this - be changing your own and carrying your own pump! ;)

Was purely down to the Easter weekend and everything being shut on the Sunday/Monday. Even a lot of the "cycling cafes" which sometimes stock spares closed for the weekend for family time. It's a weird one. On one hand i really like that everything shuts on a Sunday as it forces you to do quality things instead of "lets nip to the shops". However, when you need something it's a real pain in the ass!

I've ordered 4x Continental Race tubes which i'll keep as spares, at <£4 each it made sense to order a few. Having gone to order some more TPU tubes, i saw some instructions which suggested there was more to fitting them than regular tubes and there's a real risk of overinflating them initially and also them not seating properly ahead of being properly inflated.

I'm going to order a few more and have another go with them, but at least i'll have plenty butyl ones too! The plus side was it made me go for a run/hike in the mountains yesterday instead of out on the bike. If you check the running thread you'll see what i encountered which i certainly wouldn't have done on the road!

Soldato
Very annoying. Got my new wheels delivered yesterday. However in true cheap style, i ended up with a set which used Shimano hubs because they were a clearance item and it worked out cheaper to buy them and then get a Sram XD hub separately.

Wheels are here via DPD, however the Nova tech hub was being delivered by local post. I've had tracking update to say the delivered was attempted but failed. No card or anything left and no update on the tracking to say where it's been taken. I'm going to have to head to the local post office and hope i can cobble enough Spanish together to explain. Am hoping the combination of passport and tracking details/invoice will be enough given i don't have any ID linked to this address.

EDIT - Really baffled me why the brand of hub was being censored, then i remembered there's a PC place with the same name!

Last edited:
Associate
@AndyCr15 I upgraded to the 303's in the new year and there night an day over the dt swiss lun wheels that came with my Canyon. They shaved off some about 650g over the previous wheels and found instant speed improvments on the flats and hills.

Soldato
Hope all of you lot managed to get out on the road over this weekend. Went for a nice 40km route in the lovely Kent countryside. There are few things better in life than spending a few hours in nature going fast(ish). My poor legs are not thanking me right now however. Nearly 900m of climbing on a 42km route.
I miss Kent lanes...all my Kent mates moved out or stopped cycling...hard to go out there alone from london...

Associate
God dammit. My bike tool kit has 2 spanners which range from 13/14/15/16. II need 2 17mm spanners to change this freehub.

Now to debate whether i'm better taking it to a bike shop to replace, or go to a shop and buy 2 spanners.
didn’t need this many tools with the paddleboard!! :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
I miss Kent lanes...all my Kent mates moved out or stopped cycling...hard to go out there alone from london...

I would offer to meet up if it were not for the fact I have just had twins and probably won’t be able to get out for much more than an hour or two a week for a good while and it will be a last minute thing no doubt.

Associate
@AndyCr15 I upgraded to the 303's in the new year and there night an day over the dt swiss lun wheels that came with my Canyon. They shaved off some about 650g over the previous wheels and found instant speed improvments on the flats and hills.
Zipp wheels look really good, I’d probably see a huge difference between the fulcrum cheapo ones I have.

Soldato
Am I right to be slightly annoyed?

Ordered this from Amazon from Go Cycle Shop/Chicken Cycle Kit supplier. As I understand it they're a UK distributor (although maybe not for Shimano). Cassette has turned up in a plain plastic bag and it's zip tied together. It has the usual plastic white insert but where's all the usual Shimano packaging? Makes me a little suspect - not sure how to verify if it's original.

Soldato
It's kind of annoying everything has gone 12 speed now. I really wanted bikes I can just swap things between or have the same spares for. Swap wheels, spare chains, pads and cassettes etc.
Haha totally get that! Over Easter I finally 'upgraded' the other half to my 105 11-speed mechanical from my Turbo bike (I switched to Di2 in the Autumn). So finally got 'everything' (only 3 bikes) onto 11 speed after years of saying I'll do it! :cry:

Tour of Flanders... completed it :D

SJE7Hugl.png.jpg

Toughest, most brutal and epic ride I've ever done.

I cleaned every climb without stopping, even the Koppenberg which was stupidly greasy (ha - take that Pog!). I hate to think what the Paris - Roubaix sportive would be like, my shoulders were still sore on Monday afternoon.
Awesome ride mate and seriously well done! Massive one to cross off and you definitely chose the best of the 2. Although you've now done the 1 so...! ;)

Does anyone find their gravel bike isn’t as planted at speed around corners? Perhaps the shoulders of the tyre I’m using? (Gravel Kings)
Yes, probably tyres but also the position can make quite a difference as the geometry on some is more upright, while others have a longer wheelbase for traction so can be a bit 'boat-y' steering (a bit like some CX frames), while others are shorter and more like a road bike.

God dammit. My bike tool kit has 2 spanners which range from 13/14/15/16. II need 2 17mm spanners to change this freehub.

Now to debate whether i'm better taking it to a bike shop to replace, or go to a shop and buy 2 spanners.
You probably have this resolved by now, but worth getting yourself a pair of 'cone' spanners when next ordering stuff from somewhere. Wiggle/CRC (Lifeline brand) always been cheap for them.

Depending on the hub setup can determine if you can use a normal 17m spanner or not, or just 1 of, but otherwise I'd just get 2 (they're really narrow compared to a normal spanner).

I would offer to meet up if it were not for the fact I have just had twins and probably won’t be able to get out for much more than an hour or two a week for a good while and it will be a last minute thing no doubt.
Congratulations & good luck! You're going to need it! One of our neighbours has a boy similar age to mine (in school together so growing up together) so they thought 'just 1 more'... And ended up with twin girls! :cry:

Zipp wheels look really good, I’d probably see a huge difference between the fulcrum cheapo ones I have.
You'd notice a difference even staying with Fulcrum.

There's a difference between the £180 Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset (I have) and the £500-600 Racing 3 (a friend has). Although both box profile alu rims, same width and generally similar weights (<100g difference) he generally loves his and they seem quick, whereas I found the 7's slow and heavy (compared to my similar priced alu Zipp 30 Course wheels to his Racing 3).

But the money probably better spent going for something like Hunts 30 Carbon Aero or Allroad (£699 / £799) as only bit more than the Racing 3, shave off a few more grams, carbon, wider and far more tyre compatibility. But then the Zipp 303 S is only a bit more than that again... But getting towards £1000 - plenty of other superb wheels around that price point - it's a slippery slope! ;)

Reactions: fez
Soldato
Congrats dude!

a year in (6th April) and still not finding as much time to ride as I'd like. I've also been dead lazy the last few weeks as been getting broken sleep and hard to motivate myself.

Need to spend more time in this thread again to pick up the motivation

Soldato
Out of interest, if we arranged a group ride in the summer, I guess somewhere reasonably central (or do we go somewhere less convenient but 'nice' like Wales or Surrey Hills), would enough people be prepared to travel to meet up to make it worthwhile?

Back
Top Bottom