Road Cycling

Soldato
All good for me - first one so wasn't 100% sure what to expect. But went well, had some bad stomach cramps around mile 80 so had to take a more lengthy break - but finished in reasonable time. Lots of weather warnings, but turned out to be nice on the day! Still a little sore today, but mainly shoulders/arms.
What time did you start? I left home at about 5am and it was bucketing it down until at least 6.30/7!

Associate
Nice, yeah i was in the early blue wave. It was chucking it down.

I got a chip time of 5 hours 10 but I was stuck in a rolling road block due to an accident for about 15 mins. It's got me motived to try a sub 5 next year. I decided not to drive down from Suffolk on the same day so I booked a travel lodge in Bromley (Lewisham side). It was so noisy and the bed was shocking so i slept for a full 3 hours on the floor lol.

Cant get over how many people were having punctures.

Did anyone see the guy on the Boris bike with his road bike tide round his back ? :cry:

Soldato
Nice, yeah i was in the early blue wave. It was chucking it down.

I got a chip time of 5 hours 10 but I was stuck in a rolling road block due to an accident for about 15 mins. It's got me motived to try a sub 5 next year. I decided not to drive down from Suffolk on the same day so I booked a travel lodge in Bromley (Lewisham side). It was so noisy and the bed was shocking so i slept for a full 3 hours on the floor lol.

Cant get over how many people were having punctures.

Did anyone see the guy on the Boris bike with his road bike tide round his back ? :cry:
Impressive!

Yeah I've never seen so many punctures, including a few unfortunate people about 500m from the end!

Missed the guy on the Boris bike, but saw a few people absolutely flying along on tandems.

Associate
Impressive!

Yeah I've never seen so many punctures, including a few unfortunate people about 500m from the end!

Missed the guy on the Boris bike, but saw a few people absolutely flying along on tandems.
Thanks. I really went for it, i've been really ill the last few days though.

I saw some poor bloke towards the end walking his bike while carrying his rear derailleur in his hand.

Some mates i know that went off in a later wave than me saw something interesting. A bloke chasing some of the cyclists down a road with a road cone, he then threw the road cone at them.

Soldato
Impressive!

I saw someone who got a double puncture before we'd even started :eek:

ah I wish i had that, mine was 0515 - 0630

Did you have to wait at all on the 7am wave ?

Not really - brief stop, then all rolled through the starting line pretty well. I think everyone had got into a good rhythm by then.

Associate
ive not got the link yet but apparently it's on the facebook group for it. I'll try and get my mate to send me the link but this is the screen shot.
Q1O7hig.jpeg

ah it looks like its from reddit, ill see if i can find the link later.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime

In theory, an aero tandem would be super quick. Essentially the second person would be in the ultimate draft position and you get the benefit of two sets of legs and probably only about 1.2-1.5x the downsides of a single person on a normal bike.

Associate
In theory, an aero tandem would be super quick. Essentially the second person would be in the ultimate draft position and you get the benefit of two sets of legs and probably only about 1.2-1.5x the downsides of a single person on a normal bike.

I bet it must be F scary with that amount of other bikes about though.

Soldato
I paid about £2400 for the frameset so I assume I would get that back. I was considering buying the same frameset ie. last get at a good discount but it seems hard to find any in stock let alone at decent discounts. I like that paint job for the '25 version they are offering me and lets be honest, any top end frameset these days is almost guaranteed to be internal so going down a different path on frameset doesn't avoid that issue.

I'm not 100% wed to the TCR even though I really like them. What framsets did specialized have on offer?
Check their page and shops like sigma and certini
Aethos frames were for 3.5 k for example

fez

fez

Caporegime
Have been toying with getting the Assioma duo shi power meter pedals for ages now but could never quite justify the cost along with worrying about the extra q factor and the fact I have some nice dura ace pedals already. Found some guy selling a 4iiii left hand PM crank on facebook for £230 and we are swapping crank arms. He gets my non PM one and I get the PM one.

Looking forward to no longer getting home after a ride and arguing with Strava about my average power!

Soldato
Have been toying with getting the Assioma duo shi power meter pedals for ages now but could never quite justify the cost along with worrying about the extra q factor and the fact I have some nice dura ace pedals already. Found some guy selling a 4iiii left hand PM crank on facebook for £230 and we are swapping crank arms. He gets my non PM one and I get the PM one.

Looking forward to no longer getting home after a ride and arguing with Strava about my average power!
assiomas are good, so are new wahoo power pedals, but crank is as good if you intend to use on one bike...i miss my PM...

Soldato
I have the Keo version of the Assiomas and I like them. Took a while to get used to how quickly they spin compared to my ultegra pedals but other than that, zero issues with them
Though I have zero frame of reference :cry:

Still cycling in my shed as I need to replace my tyres. Though I've not actually been on the bike since Saturday. Little one has been a menace the last few nights so when my alarm goes off at 5:45 to get on the bike I turn it off and roll over. :o

Soldato
Annoying ride.

1 - It was roasting
2 - I got 5 minutes in and realised i wasn't wearing my helmet!
3 - MY HR strap kept disconnecting and then reading bizarre things like 130bpm after absolutely killing myself on an interval

Legs felt good though and because i only did a shorter ride i decided to throw in some random sprints. Hit 706w as a 15 second average which is about 50w most than my previous attempt.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Annoying ride.

1 - It was roasting
2 - I got 5 minutes in and realised i wasn't wearing my helmet!
3 - MY HR strap kept disconnecting and then reading bizarre things like 130bpm after absolutely killing myself on an interval

Legs felt good though and because i only did a shorter ride i decided to throw in some random sprints. Hit 706w as a 15 second average which is about 50w most than my previous attempt.

I've forgotten my helmet a few times. Luckily I notice within about 30s usually but still a faff to go back, get the key out, go back in etc.

Back
Top Bottom