Road Cycling

Soldato
Still they’re perhaps worse straight ahead barely perceived at 90 degrees. Have to change bearings & see. Only thing it could be besides damage I can’t see or worn bearings worn at the straight ahead.

Edit: thinking about this is unlikely unless the whole cage is worn as I’ve had the bearings out so they wouldn’t have gone back the same way.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was in Cambridge on Saturday, so took the bike and did 50+ (flat!) miles there. Really didn't feel good, but then I remember last year after the Alps it took two weeks to get my legs back, so wasn't overly surprised. Then went out yesterday with my club and smashed some PR's and 2nd bests up small climbs that I've literally done 60 or 70 times, so that's interesting.

Is anyone else going for the Le Col climbers jersey? I really like the design this year (I think I'm a sucker for white/light jerseys). It's annoying though, last year the Alps tipped into the challenge so I completed it easily. This year, I've just finished a week of 19k+ feet climbing AND THEN the challenge starts... just when I want to take it easy for a while! I might have a play on the new Zwift climbing portal. I assume those would count?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Went out yesterday and finally did a bit of a longer ride compared to normal and I regretted it at times. Only 62km and 1000m of climbing but I keep underestimating how much fitness I have lost and how sleep deprived I am at the moment. Had to stop a few times and take a few minutes break to recover. Legs were cramping at times in the last 5-10km.

I need to make sure I stop to refill my water bottles as well as that probably didn't help. I went through 2 750ml bottles and had to ration the last one over the last 15km. Not a super hot day but quite muggy and a bit of dehydration probably didn't help matters.

Soldato
To join in with the tired legs theme. I think i overdid it last week in general, which culminated in going paddle boarding on Saturday. Since i sold my board i was borrowing a mates, and since i didn't have to carry anything, i figured i'd ride to his house which is about 15 miles away. Let him chauffeur me to the canal with all the hassle of loading boards on the roof and then i'd paddle and then ride home.

Woke up around 6am and got to his house. My legs already felt weak on that ride. There were a few hills which were getting up to 13% which i struggled on. Then with 3 hours on a paddleboard, they were shot for the return journey, which started with about 400ft of ascent over the first 1.5 miles.
Luckily i missed a turning and actually ended up on a slightly flatter route.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Do you guys warm up before your rides? My legs usually feel like lead for a while at the start of the ride and because I live in a valley there is no route out of it that doesn't involved a fair bit of climbing early on in the ride.

Soldato
Do you guys warm up before your rides? My legs usually feel like lead for a while at the start of the ride and because I live in a valley there is no route out of it that doesn't involved a fair bit of climbing early on in the ride.

I'm similar. I have a choice of 3 directions from my house.

1 goes up ~500ft over 3 miles as a fairly steady incline
1 goes straight up a pretty steep hill right at the start ~10% for quarter of a mile then levels off
1 is flat for around a mile or so before it starts getting lumpy

I try and choose route 3 :p

Associate
@AndyCr15 I am doing the Le Col 8848 challenge as i'm not really a climber and am hoping it might make me reconsider that. Zwift rides count i tried the Col du Tourmalet on the climb portal i found it hard but im hoping i can have another crack towards the end of the month an have some signs of progress.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a real warm up in any measurable sense (ok that's a lie) but the first few miles of my ride I try and keep my power in Z2 with a few sprinting spikes

Soldato
Is anyone else going for the Le Col climbers jersey? I really like the design this year (I think I'm a sucker for white/light jerseys). It's annoying though, last year the Alps tipped into the challenge so I completed it easily. This year, I've just finished a week of 19k+ feet climbing AND THEN the challenge starts... just when I want to take it easy for a while! I might have a play on the new Zwift climbing portal. I assume those would count?

It's a shame they put 8848m on it as the rest of the design looks really good to me, all my jerseys are dark so it would make a nice change. I'm tentatively working towards it with Zwift as there aren't enough decent climbs to make an interesting route cycling outside locally.

Soldato
Still they’re perhaps worse straight ahead barely perceived at 90 degrees. Have to change bearings & see. Only thing it could be besides damage I can’t see or worn bearings worn at the straight ahead.

Edit: thinking about this is unlikely unless the whole cage is worn as I’ve had the bearings out so they wouldn’t have gone back the same way.
New bearings and quickly assembled with the dust cap off so I could see that the compression split ring was working correctly and look for bearing play in the frame.

No play that I could tell, I didn’t attach the front brake but did wobble the fork or try to by hand.

Need to spend longer than 2 minutes but seems it may be issue solved, couldn’t tell anything wrong with the old bearings however, but they are 18 months or more old.

Used Kinetic bearings. Ordered yday arrived today.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this new wheel time? :(

KKj9Gtb.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: fez
Soldato
Personally probably not, it doesn’t look deep at all? What kind of impact did it have or is it just a kerb at a bad angle?

I’d very lightly sand the sharp edges and seal with some superglue.

If the brake pads aren’t contacting it then I think you’d be fine. Higher up on the wheel is largely superficial and can be very thin carbon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally probably not, it doesn’t look deep at all? What kind of impact did it have or is it just a kerb at a bad angle?

I’d very lightly sand the sharp edges and seal with some superglue.

If the brake pads aren’t contacting it then I think you’d be fine. Higher up on the wheel is largely superficial and can be very thin carbon.

I slipped on some gravel going round a corner and kissed a kerb. I don't have any concerns over the vertical scratches, but the lacquer just above the brake track and to the left has a chip in it and can feel a little bit of soft carbon. Just outside the brake pad zone.

Soldato
There's a few companies who do carbon repairs etc, they'd be able to tell you for sure. My gut feeling is that it may need a dab of resin at most but it's probably fine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom