Road Cycling

Soldato
Just as a heads up, there's a Le Col sale on bundles at the moment, which brings it down to £200 for a decent pair of bib shorts and jersey, plus a free base layer. And if you do the "Le Col Giro" Strava challenge you can get a further £50 off, which finally brings their stuff down to something like excellent value!

Soldato
Have signed up for that Dynamic Cyclist program.

I know it’s all stuff which can be easily found online, but ~£7 a month to compile it into daily routines works for me.

Hoping it motivates me to do some regular pre-hab type stuff while watching tv at night.

Soldato
Not just a bad day? Too much tweaking without enough riding? You've always got the big miles in mate so quite surprised to see you hit so hard! Not coming down with something or some other reason you've strained your back doing things and the bike just made it worse?! :o
I've got really weird proportions so have always had loads of saddle setback for comfort. It's good for that but crap for power. I've been trying to move it forward this year as it definitely helps with harder intervals. I found after about 5-6 hours it just concentrated everything in my quads and they completely gave up, so I'm going to move backwards again and spread the load more evenly. I find glutes/hamstrings are much slower to fatigue even if you generate a little less power.

I'm also going to move my bars up to save my back even if it makes it look like a shopper bike.

Soldato
My front tyre keeps loosing pressure after that puncture the other day.

So i took it as an excuse to do something I regret doing since I got my new wheels. Treated the bike to new shoes and have bought the GP5000S TR with Tan walls. Hated having pure black wheels on my bike since it originally came with the regular GP5000

Soldato
I'm angry but also aware that you may be right :mad: :D

Though we feel one of the houses may sell this year but judging by the stock levels (and I check often) some of the parts may not even be available this year lol

Associate
How much bottom pain is normal when cycling? I used to get some numbness down below after 2 hours but never really had pain.

Doing longer rides with new saddle (cut out) there is no numbness but I find after 2-3 hours I get pain at the point the sitbones contact the saddle. I thought originally it was just from the contact and I would get used to it/toughen up, but I found it slightly odd that there were times I could ride for 30 minutes seated with no pain at all, then have pain and repeat which made me wonder if it was nerve related (and no ulcers/skin damage) after. Is this normal and settle with time? Would a different saddle change it? It didn’t stop me doing a 7+ hour ride so not critical to spend big money right now, but nice to know if this is expected.

Soldato
I’d generally say some discomfort is normal like it would be sitting anywhere for an extended period of time. I would define bad pain as anything limiting your ability to ride to your full capacity, or preventing you going for a ride the next day.

Associate
I’d generally say some discomfort is normal like it would be sitting anywhere for an extended period of time. I would define bad pain as anything limiting your ability to ride to your full capacity, or preventing you going for a ride the next day.
Yep, apart from moving position and stretching my legs, it doesn’t stop me riding or limit the next day. I’m coming from a hybrid so probably used to a softer ride.

Soldato
I had a close shave yesterday, and it was my own stupid fault.

I have a cold and instead of skipping a weekend ride and resting, I went out for a 40 mile ride to the inlaws and back.

The cold was giving me earache and I felt a bit wobbly on the bike..

On the way home, I decided to finish the remains of the caffeinated sports drink in one of my bottles, but rather than carefully switching bottles to enable be to drink out of the cage that sits diagonally, I began drinking out of the vertical cage which I find hard to get at..

I had to glance down to replace the bottle, I looked back up and instead of riding parallel to a big stone wall, I was angled towards it :(

I didn't have room to change course, so I tensed up my left shoulder and tried to hold the handlebars away from the wall to stop them catching and me falling off the bike.

My left hand got pulled off the handlebars as I connected with the wall, my feet somehow miraculously unclipped and I was left pirouetting on my feet with the bike spinning around me in the air in my right hand!

The wall hurt, my jersey got shredded and I lost a fair bit of skin from my upper left arm, shoulder and fingers.

Thankfully I got home in one piece.

That'll teach me :)

Caporegime
Youtubes news section right now
7iJwztv.jpeg

Police can't even police Illegal electric motor bikes.... never mind something stupid like this.

Amazingly most the comments on the GB news video seem to think its a stupid idea.

Imagine the resources needed to enforce it... how about sort out the violence on the streets, robberies etc, then when we live in a utopia consider bikes needing number plates.

Holy cow the guy on the GB news is an utter idiot...

Cars have to leave 1.5 metrers when passing a bicycle, BUT, bicycles can pass you without leaving that much space....
Maybe because the cyclist can assess his own safety and judge the distance to within less than an inch ?? a person in a metal box doesn't know exactly where the bike is at all times... the person on the bike knows where the bloody car is.... The cyclist isn't risking someone elses life.

also the force off a bike passing won't have any suction effect on the car

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Holy cow the guy on the GB news is an utter idiot...

Cars have to leave 1.5 metrers when passing a bicycle, BUT, bicycles can pass you without leaving that much space....
Maybe because the cyclist can assess his own safety and judge the distance to within less than an inch ?? a person in a metal box doesn't know exactly where the bike is at all times... the person on the bike knows where the bloody car is.... The cyclist isn't risking someone elses life.

also the force off a bike passing won't have any suction effect on the car

The funniest thing about it all is that a lot of drivers genuinely think that they are victimised and punished for bad driving. That if they changed the laws and cyclists were treated the same as drivers if they killed someone that they would do any amount of time in prison. Its a joke the amount of prison time you get for killing people when driving a car and its even more of a joke how little ban they usually get from doing the exact thing that caused the death.

Almost every "strong" argument against cyclists is complete BS as well.

"They don't pay road tax" - No they don't and nor do you. The VED that you are referring to I assume is paid per vehicle based vaguely on emissions and as the vast vast vast majority of cyclists also drive, they do pay that. Its also the stupid idea that you pay to be on the roads and cyclists don't. Cyclists do almost 0 damage to the roads and if you actually think the amount people pay in tax ie. fuel duty, VED has a bearing on who should use the roads, perhaps I should get priority over you if I pay more tax!

"They slow traffic down" - Yes, sometimes, and even for a few minutes sometimes. Do you know what slows people down though? Cars. Other cars, the vast majority of which have a single person in them. Do you know what slows me down when I am cycling? Cars. Do you know how much more cars slow me down at busy times or any other time vs bikes? Its probably about 10/1 cars.

You would think anyone with half a braincell would want as many cyclists as possible on the roads because they take up so little space. Then again, thats clearly giving most drivers too much credit. The number of people who overtake me and break the speed limit when they can see (or at least should notice) that there is a queue of traffic a hundred metres down the road is astonishing.

Caporegime
that is one messed up youtube section. just start searching for hot chicks in lycra. it will sort out that search history in no time.
it was the normal standard news tab,

I don't have suggestions, watch history etc enabled.
I'd rather find my own videos that interest me. than see what gen Z or whatever is watching.
but occasionally I'll click the news tab on the left
xHEndIL.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom