Road Cycling

Man of Honour
OP
So, it's over a month since Bikmo paid out my insurance. They did say they'd arrange to collect the parts and so I kept hold of them for a while... but eventually decided it had been long enough and chucked most of it.

They've now got in touch to arrange collection of the parts. Any idea how they'll react when I'll tell them they took too long?

Soldato
So, it's over a month since Bikmo paid out my insurance. They did say they'd arrange to collect the parts and so I kept hold of them for a while... but eventually decided it had been long enough and chucked most of it.

They've now got in touch to arrange collection of the parts. Any idea how they'll react when I'll tell them they took too long?

They could be alright, but it seems a bit stupid throwing it away, or did you chase them and have no response?

Got some self righteous cycling abuse tonight when I pulled out "in front" of a fiesta on a huge 3 lane motorway roundabout who was about 150 yards away and no other cars on the roundabout at the time. After I got some abuse from the driver the cyclist confirmed I did pull out on her.... I'm so naughty.

Soldato

Would've checked before chucking them tbh. They took 25% off my claim as I opted to keep my damaged kit, some of it was still serviceable just cosmetically damaged, so I guess worst case scenario they'll want 25% back. I'm fairly confident they will let it slide given the time taken though.

Man of Honour
OP
I actually kept most of it tbh and luckily they've only asked for the stuff I kept. However, theyve asked for stuff to be picked up on Fri when I'm in work...and also I have no time or ability with a dodgy arm to disassemble the bike for the bits they want (frame, which has tons of stuff on it I didn't claim for).

Soldato
I actually kept most of it tbh and luckily they've only asked for the stuff I kept. However, theyve asked for stuff to be picked up on Fri when I'm in work...and also I have no time or ability with a dodgy arm to disassemble the bike for the bits they want (frame, which has tons of stuff on it I didn't claim for).

Just keep being unavailable, cancelling last minute etc and generally avoiding them until they either give up or refuse your renewal :p

Soldato
Did the short FTP test last night on Zwift, seemed to hover around 220W (zpower) for most of the 20 minutes, but had started at around 230W before backing off as felt like I couldn't sustain, went a bit choppy at one point, then getting towards the end I realised I had more in the tank... Rightly or wrongly I decided to stand and power through the last 3 minutes to push the average up to 228W. My pacing was rubbish but I'm blaming lack of time on the turbo as I've not done much over 45 minute sessions yet this autumn.

FTP in Zwift updated to 237 which I'm a little sceptical about, reasoning my previous FTP was 247 (from last autumn). Although almost certain the tyre is not engaged the same tightness & pressure. I'm at least the same power as back then, in theory more! I know this from riding with the club guys! :rolleyes: :eek:

Again inconsistent turbo results, probably from wheel:turbo tightness. With no obvious way to calibrate the trainer, is there really anything I can do? I hear of 'rolldown tests' being performed but how do I perform one? (My KK InRide is even calibrated with one, just not on the Android app, only the iOS one!) :rolleyes:
Unfortunately I can imagine that Hereford will suffer quite significantly due to Brexit - although it has been on a downward spiral for decades now!

At least there is decent cycling to be had :p
Haha, now that I don't doubt! Although to be honest - I can see the nation eating more UK grown potatoes, chicken and drinking cider so we might be ok! ;)

Semi related: I'm earning quite a bit more here in a mixed inhouse general IT & Stock Control role (with only a small part of it actual hardware support) compared to my previous onsite pure IT support role (mostly hardware based in a much more rural area - Mid-Wales). I probably should've moved East and looked for a more IT hardware/networking specific job but it was off the back of 12 years with a company (which fell apart) and I struggled to find work for 3 years. I wanted job stability at that time & still value it very highly over a larger wage packet. To be honest I'm earning above the 'average' here, as much of the average jobs here are either self employed contractors, factory workers and small companies. Company I work for is one of the largest employers in the county, but there's certainly not much money in horticulture. Similar to agriculture (my families background). Just more than the area I came from.
They could be alright, but it seems a bit stupid throwing it away, or did you chase them and have no response?

Got some self righteous cycling abuse tonight when I pulled out "in front" of a fiesta on a huge 3 lane motorway roundabout who was about 150 yards away and no other cars on the roundabout at the time. After I got some abuse from the driver the cyclist confirmed I did pull out on her.... I'm so naughty.
Lol, gangster! I'd have gesteculated (sp?) my arms around to indicate all the wasted road space they could've been using, not to mention the more than adequate distance away they were...
I'd be honest with them, explain with your broken shoulder from the accident that you're going to struggle to remove things from the frame (make a point in saying you're not claiming for these items!) and need more time for a friend to come and help. Pretty sure they'll be understanding, even just delaying it until next week? Do you have anyone who could help you over the weekend to strip it?

You could also arrange the pickup from work? Pretty sure they don't mind where it's picked up from!
Fun one for you - had problems with the replacement InRide (remember they've sent me a replacment InRide, a magnet & gromet for free already) and they're sending me another. For free. I'll then have 3 of the things! :eek::rolleyes::D

Module might be poorly designed and badly supported by the software, but the support I've had from Kinetic and their UK partner (2pure) has been exceptional!

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not uncommon to have a variance between road & turbo FTP's. About 10% here.

Gauging your power, in relation to last year, based on other club members performance is completely flawed, unless you know with absolute certainty their figures for all of your rides.

Soldato
Fun one for you - had problems with the replacement InRide (remember they've sent me a replacment InRide, a magnet & gromet for free already) and they're sending me another. For free. I'll then have 3 of the things! :eek::rolleyes::D

Module might be poorly designed and badly supported by the software, but the support I've had from Kinetic and their UK partner (2pure) has been exceptional!

Want to send me one? :D

Soldato
Well my road bike thats about 3-4 months old is messed up due to this incident > http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18754838

Now i am debating whether to commute to work via cycling now.

I enjoyed it before yesterdays incident Because it gave me freedom and independence to leave whenever i want and not rely on public transport which is a hit and miss in london.

Also it only took me 25mins to reach work vs 45min on the bus! I liked it also because i felt it was keep me fit stamina wise and now i will have to try and fit in some cadio for my daily drive.

Soldato
Did the short FTP test last night on Zwift, seemed to hover around 220W (zpower) for most of the 20 minutes, but had started at around 230W before backing off as felt like I couldn't sustain, went a bit choppy at one point, then getting towards the end I realised I had more in the tank... Rightly or wrongly I decided to stand and power through the last 3 minutes to push the average up to 228W. My pacing was rubbish but I'm blaming lack of time on the turbo as I've not done much over 45 minute sessions yet this autumn.

FTP in Zwift updated to 237 which I'm a little sceptical about, reasoning my previous FTP was 247 (from last autumn). Although almost certain the tyre is not engaged the same tightness & pressure. I'm at least the same power as back then, in theory more! I know this from riding with the club guys! :rolleyes: :eek:

Again inconsistent turbo results, probably from wheel:turbo tightness. With no obvious way to calibrate the trainer, is there really anything I can do? I hear of 'rolldown tests' being performed but how do I perform one? (My KK InRide is even calibrated with one, just not on the Android app, only the iOS one!) :rolleyes:
Haha, now that I don't doubt! Although to be honest - I can see the nation eating more UK grown potatoes, chicken and drinking cider so we might be ok! ;)

It's probably just your legs. Sometimes I feel I have a decent session but readings are crap compared to a well fueled and rested ride.
I had Zwift put my FTP up to 297w after one ride, where I was clearly nicely rested and fueled. Yet, realistically, I perform at about 260-270w most the time, or less!

Soldato
North Yorkshire. It's ace.

need to find out where IT jobs are.. both me and my gf are in IT :o

I'm sorry you were biffed off your bike by a moron and hope you get it sorted out, and yourself soon... and they get beasted off to prison.

But I'd advise getting back on as soon as you can.

agreed, get back on the bike asap and continue doing it :)

poo happens, it might never happen again it might happen the next day you never know, one of those things.

Soldato
Well my road bike thats about 3-4 months old is messed up due to this incident > http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18754838

I enjoyed it before yesterdays incident Because it gave me freedom and independence to leave whenever i want and not rely on public transport which is a hit and miss in london.

Also it only took me 25mins to reach work vs 45min on the bus! I liked it also because i felt it was keep me fit stamina wise and now i will have to try and fit in some cadio for my daily drive.

Hang them out to dry if you can. Get yourself a banging road bike on it and put it down to a crap experience. It's way better riding.

Soldato

Only you know if you will ever be ready to get back on the metaphorical horse.

I was chomping at the bit after my self-induced RTA (unable to stop when I realised refuse lorry ~10m in front of me was stationary, messy, won't bore you with details), but at the same time I was semi-terrified and doctors advised me not to ride until ~3 months afterwards.

The first few rides home (going in to work early in the morning I barely encounter any vehicles) mid afternoon were scary, my eyes were on giant stalks, anticipating vehicles pulling on from junctions or turning right across my path etc.

Over time my cycling confidence has come back over almost three years now, not sure if I'll ever choose to ride drop bar bikes again (especially rim braked ones), but I now enjoy pushing myself on my fatbike on Strava. :)

Soldato
Bored so I just ambled into Halfords at lunchtime - after nothing in particular but I happened to look in the bargain basket and there was a Moon Comet 30 lumen rear light in there - got a £10 sticker on it! :D

Caporegime
Am I ? front wheel picks up the water -> sprays on the shoe -> soaks through/runs down the leg -> wet shoes/socks.

I have no issues with cold, keeping water out is impossible.

Well if you don't have mudguards on your commuter in England, you deserve all the drowning you get :p.

Back
Top Bottom