Road Cycling

Associate
Potentially looking at selling my bike. Is £450 reasonable for a White Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra? Purchased in 2015 and only done 600 miles on it. I have someone who is interested.

Soldato
I only just cracked 3k miles this year, pretty poor compared to almost all of you but then I can only ride at the weekends so its not too bad considering. :o
I'm not even going to hit 2000 :o Aim is to finish stronger than last year though to give me momentum into 2018 along with my target of a metric century a month for the year and I should be back to 2016 mileage or hopefully more.

I'm a full convert to running lights all the time on my bike now. Maybe it is all in my head but I'm sure I get passed wider and pulled out on less when I'm running front and rear flashers during the day. To that end I've backed my first ever Kickstarter campaign and gone for a set of the new See Sense lights. My current ones should see me through to next summer and I hope to get them some time in July.

Soldato
Potentially looking at selling my bike. Is £450 reasonable for a White Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra? Purchased in 2015 and only done 600 miles on it. I have someone who is interested.

Depending on the condition you might even be able to get a little more (50-100), that's a pretty well specc'd bike. If you're after a quick sale and have a buyer lined up then it's not a terrible amount to get for it.

Soldato
Felt really slow and lethargic today after not getting a decent amount of sleep the last two nights due to the little one... Maybe 3-4 hours unbroken sleep maximum each night. He's good and 'sleeps' for 4-5 hours at a time but damn is he noisy... Mumbling and random half shouts-half cries scattered throughout the night. The other half seems to sleep through the majority, but they wake me up. He's quite good at waking at 5.15-5:30am, which isn't too bad normally (with my work alarm going off at 6:05) but when it's been broken sleep before then I really don't wake feeling 'rested'! :(

Also really slack tire as I got to work, hopefully just low on air and one of the speed bumps taxed it rather than a slow puncture. Will see at lunchtime! :o

Still planning on Zwifting later, my tuesday night race schedule is the only weekly ride structure I've been able to get into outside of commuting, riding other days has been far more sporadic.

Let's just say there was a little bit of inconsistency in being fair with regard to not taking extra sleep at the expense of other teammates rest ;)
Hahaha brutal! It was 'only' 24h? I'd probably have done the same as you and not slept... Or an hour long cat nap in the middle! You carried them anyway! ;)

I'm jumping the gun really, the technology is still in an embryonic phase for something like cycling. I'm a manufacturing engineer and my old firm made a complete mountain bike frame using the technique out of a Titanium alloy. They actually "printed" it using one of their own machines.

It's probably a few years away yet, but I'm sure it will be used on smaller parts like stems, seat posts and crank arms first.
All good info and really interesting, all of the current 3D printing techniques could all find homes in various bicycle manufacturing techniques, but strangely as an industry much of the innovation in manufacture tends to be done by the smaller ones in the field rather than the larger ones who tend to stick to their tried and tested techniques.

Was cold tonight - brrrrrr
Was colder in the morning! Real windchill making things feel much cooler than ambient suggests. This morning was totally different - wet roads and although the wind was stronger it wasn't anywhere near as cool.

Quality over quantity :cool: (guilty as charged...)
Haha tell me about it! To be fair the racing I'm doing is giving me some needed quality. With training plans I tended to avoid them and just do base riding around really not achieving anything. Riding around smashing people is 'fun' but didn't really do anything! With racing I have found myself riding my commute a little more reserved, without it I was nailing it all the time. Not very productive due to the short length and the lack of warm up/cool down just meaning I was accumulating fatigue rather than really progressing myself.

It's a couple of years old, regardless of the condition the question has to be based on what you paid for it and how much you feel comfortable with it leaving for. There's no point doing the guy a deal if in springtime you want to ride it again and have to buy another one...!

I'm a full convert to running lights all the time on my bike now. Maybe it is all in my head but I'm sure I get passed wider and pulled out on less when I'm running front and rear flashers during the day. To that end I've backed my first ever Kickstarter campaign and gone for a set of the new See Sense lights. My current ones should see me through to next summer and I hope to get them some time in July.
/signed

I run a flashing rear light 99% year round even in bright sunshine. These gloomy days (last month/6 weeks) that's combined with a flashing front too. Exposure Trace & TraceR ftw! 80/100 lumen flash & 10+ day burntime! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I always think a 'flash' catches the eye, especially in daytime and poor light conditions. Although a flash in complete darkness can be distracting as it dazzles and removes much depth perception between the flashes. The 'pulse' my Exposure lights use is much better - the light doesn't go off between flashes so isn't as dazzling and allows drivers to more easily retain distance/depth perception to me.

I usually consider a solid red light drivers are used to following and 'ignoring' from the car infront until it flashes (braking). Probably why my preference is to flash at them (snigger). Although when I run two rear lights I do have one solid and the other flash/pulse...

EDIT: So many Tacx Vortex's sold on the Wiggle ebay page the last couple of weeks... Majority barely used, some bargains at £195 (cheapest) to darn right stupid (£286)! Couple of Neo's sold at £750...

Last edited:
Soldato
Hahaha brutal! It was 'only' 24h? I'd probably have done the same as you and not slept... Or an hour long cat nap in the middle! You carried them anyway! ;)

25h. 2am - 2am was a power hour on a shorter course where each lap counted double. We left that up to the one with racing experience and he got the full 8 laps with the main group.

Though it was really more like 23h due to a crash within the first 20 mins that took out a road.cc reader rider. It was almost 1.5 hours later when they did a restart from the start line again.

Soldato
Why flashing as opposed to solid? I always run a solid rear (snigger) at dawn/dusk this time of year but not in the day.
It is just about firing the receptors in the grey matter of those around you really. A flashing light won't blend into the background as much and be subconsciously filtered out. Same theory is now being used with the random flash sequences you get on many modern lights.

At night I'll use both a flasher and a solid on the rear, solid only up front. Probably overkill but I did have that heart in mouth realisation once that my rear light had switched itself off while riding at night so now I always run two and it makes sense to have one of each for maximum visual impact.

Soldato
EDIT: So many Tacx Vortex's sold on the Wiggle ebay page the last couple of weeks... Majority barely used, some bargains at £195 (cheapest) to darn right stupid (£286)! Couple of Neo's sold at £750...

I got mine for £270 brand spanking from CRC, price dipped to £300 so I pounced but also my daughter has a BC silver membership and race licence so I used a 10% off code.

Soldato
Why flashing as opposed to solid? I always run a solid rear (snigger) at dawn/dusk this time of year but not in the day.

Strobing or flashing lights catch my attention when driving far more regularly than solid or steady pulsing lights.

One cyclist had such a powerful front light the other week I genuinely thought he was a motorcycle :p All the lumens.

Soldato
Hahaha I think it's illegal over X lumens over here, they stopped selling too many on FR/DE sites. I have the Volt 800 though and it's blinding as anything. I will use a flashing rear now mind, thanks for enlightening me. Learnt something today :p

Soldato
Though it was really more like 23h due to a crash within the first 20 mins that took out a road.cc reader rider. It was almost 1.5 hours later when they did a restart from the start line again.
Ah, shame about the crash, at least the power hour kinda makes up for the missed time! :D

This made me lol
“Unfortunately, the race had to be re-started after an incident in the first few laps, and even more unfortunately it was one of our team road.cc riders who had to be carted off to hospital with a broken shoulder and collarbone.

“If you’re reading this, Jim, heal up soon and we’ll send you a bunch of kit to replace the stuff they had to cut off you …”

Dave continued: “The standard of riding was pretty high
'pretty high' except for their poor guy?! Lol ;)

5.5km is quite a short course for '500 riders', I'm surprised there wasn't more incidents! :o

I got mine for £270 brand spanking from CRC, price dipped to £300 so I pounced but also my daughter has a BC silver membership and race licence so I used a 10% off code.
Yeah grabbed mine for a little over £300 in a bit of a rush when I sold my old dumb trainer so wasn't the best of deals. Should probably have gone for the KICKR Snap (better power curve and higher max simulated resistance).

One cyclist had such a powerful front light the other week I genuinely thought he was a motorcycle :p All the lumens.
Haha, badly focused lights really annoy me! Especially from those cheap chinese CREE type torches. Yes they're bright, yes they're cheap, but you can't see more and you just end up blinding everyone coming the other way probably increasing your danger of being mowed (mown?) down by a car rather than decreasing it.

Hahaha I think it's illegal over X lumens over here, they stopped selling too many on FR/DE sites. I have the Volt 800 though and it's blinding as anything. I will use a flashing rear now mind, thanks for enlightening me. Learnt something today :p
I think there are/where German laws determining beam shape, pattern and lumens. Unsure if they are (possibly) now European wide! I always determined lights from Cateye to be the 'best' (being a German company) if the laws where extended... Of course it could just be 'recommended', rather than 'law'.

Cateye Volt 800 front and Cateye rear here, plus an extra clip on rear, all on flash.
Volt 800 is a great light, mine was superb but when the mount clip broke and it went sailing down the road at 25mph I returned it to Wiggle for a full refund. It had been a warranty replacement for a Volt 400 which had stopped charging (which had also been a replacement for a broken clip). I moved away from Cateye after that, but my coffee table still bears the 'scar' of when I left the 800 on decharging at one point (to measure life cycle) and it generated so much heat it actually burnt the table! :o

Replaced it with an Exposure Race. Amazing light, hard to justify the cost but as an 'upgrade' to the Volt 800 it was perfect, almost half the price and might almost be twice the light...!

Slow puncture this morning turned into flat at lunchtime. Tube changed and blackthorn removed in sub 10 minutes! Not quite what I needed... 8 minute lunch & see the girlfriend & junior before heading back to work! :(

Soldato
This made me lol 'pretty high' except for their poor guy?! Lol ;)

5.5km is quite a short course for '500 riders', I'm surprised there wasn't more incidents! :o

From what I heard it wasn't actually his fault. Big group going through a narrow section where really you're lucky to fit two abreast and you need to swing slightly right to avoid bump / hay bales and apparently some guy that didn't have much group riding experience (if any) decided to go straight instead of flick slightly right like most.

Overall the riding standards were less chaotic than I expected. Had to give a few warnings to riders in front a few times if they were over right but most got the hang of it I guess after a few laps. I think the endurance aspect helped with that as after everyone got their first session out the way they didn't see the need to take risks.

I think it was actually 6.7km and 500 or so riders total but only 125 out on the course at one time as it was one person from each team. In the night I think some teams just didn't bother... it seemed a lot quieter.

Back
Top Bottom