Road Cycling

Soldato
@Roady phenomenal effort there. Saw yourself and a couple of other guys hit the 100 in the last week or so. Certainly inspiring to see that sort of effort going on :cool:
100 in a week is fairly easy for me as my commuting gets me near to 50 in a week! 100 a week is a goal I've set on Strava, did hit it most of last year but really struggling to this year due to the little one! :(

dXxQXhI.png

I came across a guy on my ride on Sunday who was spending the first day of his holiday in the Alps trying to find a bike shop to unlock his disc brakes which had shut while traveling in his bike case. It’s already enough of a PITA having to travel with tools for a regular bike without adding more complication!
Eeek! always a consideration with hydraulics but have to admit I've not really experienced it that bad (yet). Couple of times with front wheel removed and bike in the boot I caught the lever and moved pads in, but never that far I couldn't easily get a tyre lever between them to tweak them out.

He should have put a spacer in!
Yup, but really don't see many of them around... Had one with my bike from new, they should include them with rotors/wheels and maybe we'd all get some spares! Not many people need to change calipers and think I've only seen them come with them?

Soldato
I'm debating whether to sign up for the C2C in a day ride for 2019. I signed up a few years ago but ended up giving my place to someone as I was woefully ill prepared. I'm feeling pretty strong this year, but every winter I end up basically not riding between Nov - Feb and lose a ton of fitness. I've never really been one for indoor training but maybe having an event would motivate me to just HTFU and get out there in Winter.

Soldato
Eeek! always a consideration with hydraulics but have to admit I've not really experienced it that bad (yet). Couple of times with front wheel removed and bike in the boot I caught the lever and moved pads in, but never that far I couldn't easily get a tyre lever between them to tweak them out.

I think someone (possibly Park?) sell a reasonably small pad spreader tool for just this kind of situation. I'll certainly be sticking one in the suitcase when I go travelling abroad with the bike just in case.

Soldato
100 in a week is fairly easy for me as my commuting gets me near to 50 in a week! 100 a week is a goal I've set on Strava, did hit it most of last year but really struggling to this year due to the little one! :(

dXxQXhI.png

I think you've misunderstood. It was a couple of folk in my feed had cycled 100 miles in one sitting, like yourself in the past week :p

Soldato
Yup, but really don't see many of them around... Had one with my bike from new, they should include them with rotors/wheels and maybe we'd all get some spares! Not many people need to change calipers and think I've only seen them come with them?

I got some with my Canyon, Cannondale and my Scott. But yes all manufacturers should chuck them in the bag as they are a life saver.

Soldato
Need some advice please!

New bike seatpost is side clamp type, so I've had to order oversized ear clamps to get my carbon railed seatpost onto the new bike. The ears I've ordered are 7 x 9.5, but I've just found out the rails of my saddle are 7 x 9.0.

Will it matter?!

Soldato
It's 'Prime' day on Amazon so a few deals. Not had much time to check other than a few from DCR's page.

Anyone after a HRM then Wahoo TICKR for £40 is ok, most of the cycling websites have them the same price but I've noticed a few of them out of stock recently.
Amazon US selling the GoPro Session cheaper than UK at £115, as are other Amazon EU sites. £50-70 cheaper. Quite tempted myself...
Loads more deals on fitness trackers and watches etc, lots of info and links on DCR's page - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/amazon-prime-days-sports-tech-deals-us-and-europe.html

I think someone (possibly Park?) sell a reasonably small pad spreader tool for just this kind of situation. I'll certainly be sticking one in the suitcase when I go travelling abroad with the bike just in case.
Yup. Although one of the few tools I've never picked up as they seem really over priced! I use one of my usual park tyre levers when pushing calipers, not broken one doing it yet! :D

I think you've misunderstood. It was a couple of folk in my feed had cycled 100 miles in one sitting, like yourself in the past week :p
Ahh yeah, sorry. Although wouldn't recommend it without more training than what I did lol ;)

Although legs where 'average' yesterday (pretty much as expected) they're actually feeling pretty good today. Even feeling up to some sprints on my commute! I normally find I struggle 2 days after a long or hard ride, so fully expecting them to complain tomorrow instead! :rolleyes:

Need some advice please!

New bike seatpost is side clamp type, so I've had to order oversized ear clamps to get my carbon railed seatpost onto the new bike. The ears I've ordered are 7 x 9.5, but I've just found out the rails of my saddle are 7 x 9.0.

Will it matter?!
Don't quote me 100% on this but I'm fairly sure the ears should match the saddle as accurately as possible. I'd go even as far as saying to check for a list of compatible clamps from the saddle manufacturer to be 100% sure. With carbon rails obviously they can be easily crushed by something like a clamp, so I'd guess the opposite would be true - your larger clamp not hold them in the correct place, crushing the outside while the centre is loose.

The carbon rails may not even be circular! So shape/pitch of clamp enters into things, rather than size!? Although various forums say top & bottom clamps are generally ok, side clamps less so... :o

@Saytan and @Jonny ///M will have far more experience & knowledge than me!

Last edited:
Soldato
The carbon rails are 7mm wide 9mm high which give it the strength they need to be clamped from top to bottom. Don't clamp from the side...

Using my standard Giant top and bottom seat clamp without issue on a Fizik R1.

Soldato
It's the final day of the latest Halfords "flash sale" (typically their last until after the end of the kids summer break) with 10% discount applied at basket contents, plus if you reserve to collect, you can then use your British Cycling membership card for another 10% discount on cycling goods (if you're lucky you may get it on everything). Pretty good for Continental "premium" tyres at just over £50 a pair with both discounts.

Soldato
My calf’s swollen up like a massive sausage/balloon/kebab-elephant leg after I got bitten by a horse fly at the weekend. Spread all through the muscle it seems, just like an egg with a bite, a red circle and then a large pink area.

Not sure I’ll get my aero socks back off my leg later....

Soldato
Not 'bad' wheels, certainly see lots of Cosmics around and have done for a long time, it's hard to tell which are Exalith (newest!)...

Although the generic Cosmic have been around a while, they have always been quite heavy for what they are and there are plenty of reasons why some people stay away from Mavic (twitchy in crosswinds, water/dust seals are not great, expensive bearings & specific tools required for maintenance etc).

Around that price point look at the - hunt-3650 carbon & easton EA90SL

;)

Hmmm I'm kinda put off by them then! Yeah I have seen plenty about, never really looked into them until recently.
I like the Hunts but they won't be ready before I need them ( and getting a bit pricey)
The F4r look nice but a) I want carbon rims not the aluminium ones and b) the only full carbon ones I can find at a decent price have a Campy freewheel.

Revolver Kronostok wheels look decent too, but again, getting a bit much, maybe I ought to look 2nd hand.

Have you considered Chinese carbon clinchers?

I thought they were pretty much a no-go?

Soldato
Novatecs, powerways and bitex are all good enough. Will the bearings last quite as long as a DT Swiss or hope? Probably not. But the front end price difference buys a lot of bearings

Associate
Gonna have to have a serious look at some better shorts or a new saddle, the ones i'm using (DHB Aeron & Fizik Arione) are good for around 2.5 - 3 hours, but then it starts to get uncomfortable.
Went for a ride over to the Trough of Bowland on the weekend, felt great all the way there and some of the way back, but the last hour felt like I was sat on broken glass, and now I have a nice big bruise on each cheek lol. Gutted really as its the first time i've really ventured away from my usual boring route and it kinda ruined the ride a bit.

Soldato
I thought they were pretty much a no-go?

I've been riding on a set of 60mm carbon clinchers with Novatec hubs from Carbonspeedcycle, as recommended by @SoliD. Long rides, commutes, several crits and so far I've not died! Honestly, can't tell the difference compared to my Zipp 808s.

For your budget you can probably afford a super deep set for triathlon and a shallower set for general use. Unless you are really after a certain aesthetic or bling-factor that branded factory wheels offer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom