Road Cycling

Soldato
Third night in a row, headwind out and not much of a tailwind back for some reason!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1761300058

Hard with heavy legs but kept in it even after winding myself holding the wheel of a previous 50 TT champion as he decided to set a silly speed. Nobody would come through until he finally dropped one or two mph!

Bit of drama as we left Fenwick as a van decided to turn right across us as myself and the guy in front of me had a drink of water. Left hand only on the bars so a lock of the back wheel and a wee slide whilst holding the bottle in the right hand. Mad skillz bruh.

Soldato
Rwgps free? I only have the app and can’t see how to set up routes
Do you have to use a pc for that?
Yeah I'm afraid so, their app is view only. Although I've done it before on mobile that might just have been in 'desktop mode' through Chrome (remember it being a right faff).

To be honest rapha core bibs are great. I've got all 3 and the classics are my least favourite.

My cores are about 10 times more comfortable than my castellis.

The one pair of assos shorts I have are still going strong after 6 years so you won't be disappointed if you go down that route.
Which 3 Raphas? I've got 3 sets of Core and previously tried the Pro Team & Pro Lightweight. Really considering trying some Classic but only if the fit/pad is more similar to the Core than the Pro...

It looks like I'll be needing a new bike to go with the new saddle. The kink on the downtube finally gave way today, 4 months after the incident.:( Clearly too much power... :D

9Ww8f8F.jpg
Ah, shame. But not totally unexpected! Glad it split graciously and didn't dump you on the floor - hadn't realised you'd continued riding it! Is that the older Experience? Really like the look of the Vigorelli.

Left hand only on the bars so a lock of the back wheel and a wee slide whilst holding the bottle in the right hand. Mad skillz bruh.
Luck>Skill!

Is that a carbon frame?
Carbon wouldn't split like that through fatigue (after damage), the area would be more broken up with visible layers coming apart with fractures spreading. I that's alu? As alu is more brittle than steel so the break looks like a 'tear' whereas steel would have just buckled/bent and collapsed rather than split?

Soldato
Which 3 Raphas? I've got 3 sets of Core and previously tried the Pro Team & Pro Lightweight. Really considering trying some Classic but only if the fit/pad is more similar to the Core than the Pro...

Pro Team 1 and 2 , Core and Classic 2.

Just got the Pro Team 2, but been running 1 for years and find them great. Core are exceptionally comfy and I would buy more as a more go to day to day bib short. Classic 2 are my least favourite, although I also have the winter classics and find them bloody comfy, so not sure why, just don't seem to sit quite the same. Only ones I haven't tried are the brevet but think they are very similar to the classic.

If anyone wants to buy some Castelli Free Aero Race or Endurance X2 in Medium they shall be going for sale shortly.

Soldato
Pro Team 1 and 2 , Core and Classic 2.

Just got the Pro Team 2, but been running 1 for years and find them great. Core are exceptionally comfy and I would buy more as a more go to day to day bib short. Classic 2 are my least favourite, although I also have the winter classics and find them bloody comfy, so not sure why, just don't seem to sit quite the same. Only ones I haven't tried are the brevet but think they are very similar to the classic.

If anyone wants to buy some Castelli Free Aero Race or Endurance X2 in Medium they shall be going for sale shortly.
Good info, thanks. I had originally looked at the Brevet but think they have windproof panels in them (like the jerseys) so being more of a cool weather short which I'm sorted for (Sportful Fiandre). I've got 3 pairs of Core, two I got new for £75 and £62, the third I got S/H for £40. Have been unable to track many more S/H down for less than £60/70 but if I do then I'll really start to use them as 'premium' commuting shorts (good weather & rides where my sit bones need recovery). Ideally I'll fully switch over to them if I can get 5 or 6 pairs paying ~£50 per pair S/H. Wearing second hand shorts for commuting really doesn't bother me, paying equal to Rapha sale price prices (£60/70+) for used shorts does!

Like you I've various Castelli shorts and if I can replace them I'll sell them on. Flogged 5 pairs of Evoluzione shorts the last 6 months! They sell well on fb marketplace. I've got some Endurance X2 as well, for one of the top of the line Castelli the pad in them seems to be extremely poor - for me they compress too easily and quite an abrasive surface!? Barely better than KISS pads which are 1/3 the price! :o

It's the Cinelli Experience 2013 frameset. Alloy.

Options are replace just the frame and swap parts over (cheap) or build a new bike with hydraulic discs, mudguard eyelets, wide tyre clearance and tubeless rims (expensive). Hmmmm.
Maybe a frameset like the Kinesis Racelight 4S Disc? It has mount points for rim brakes so you could swap over, yet also upgrade to disc in future :)

I'm sure there's other frames available the same! :cool:

Associate
Am I right in thinking the only way to get a proper heart rate reading in Strava is to use a proper hr sensor?
I have an Apple watch and although it records hr and shows the readings I dont get anything in the heart rate zone analysis

Associate
Yes I have average max max there but the next screen is unused ie no data
I have summit (started last week but only have training. Would that be the reason?

Soldato
I've not played with Komoot yet, have not really needed to. Does the import also generate the TBT for the ELEMNT?
Yup, in fact that is why I started using it to get my old routes off Garmin Connect on to the Wahoo with TBT.

Hmmm... just read Jobe's comment. Maybe that is just via the app as I certainly got TBT on my Wahoo from the GC route I uploaded to it.

Associate
Hmmm... just read Jobe's comment. Maybe that is just via the app as I certainly got TBT on my Wahoo from the GC route I uploaded to it.
Hmm. Certainly says during setup tbt was only available if you have the route area open ie paid for
Maybe it’s a glitch and it works anyway

Soldato
I paid for the full Komoot so I could use it on my Bolt. From what I can gather, you get a free area when you register, so you can download your home area to plan rides using the TBT nav. All you need to do is to connect your phone app to the Bolt and it syncs your routes. I have all my routes in my Bolt ready for my rides.

Komoot seems to be pretty good, as it seems to pick decent route without sending you onto motorways or super busy roads

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the one route local I planned was good.
Have done a local route with rwgps to try tomorrow to make sure it works. Seems their free version is anywhere plus has an easier way of downloading to elemnt.

Soldato
I'd say a first-gen Virb is a pretty good bet. I used mine for a good few years and found it pretty handy. Battery life it just about manages 2h45m which covers most of my rides in one battery. I've got a YI 4k now too but I'm not getting on quite so well with that (though video quality is better).

Other option is probably a fly12? I've seen them pop up for £115 or so.

Soldato
I commute with a Fly12 Gen 1. Quality is decent enough with good battery life and built-in light. I suppose it's a bit bulky and heavy but it doesn't slow me down. I've already used footage to report a driver to the Met for jumping a red.

Here's some example footage although Youtube seems to have lost some of the quality from the original.

Soldato
Thanks both.

I'd say a first-gen Virb is a pretty good bet. I used mine for a good few years and found it pretty handy. Battery life it just about manages 2h45m which covers most of my rides in one battery. I've got a YI 4k now too but I'm not getting on quite so well with that (though video quality is better).

Other option is probably a fly12? I've seen them pop up for £115 or so.

What do you dislike on the YI vs the Virb?

The Fly12 looks good but pretty expensive.

Soldato
What do you dislike on the YI vs the Virb?

Shorter battery life - more like 1h45m at 1080p60, terrible audio in housing (it must move a little in there and in any case it's not going to be great audio in a watertight box), inaudible tones and an on/off button that isn't very positive. The Virb has a slide button to turn it on. The YI is just a button underneath (it's mounted upside down on an out-front mount) and you can't see the light while riding so I've often thought I'm recording when I'm not and you don't realise when battery runs out.

The YI does look better mounted though as it fits on an out-front mount without issues. The Virb is a bit clumsy for that. I prefer using the YI for group rides mounted to the back of my saddle for the quality.

Back
Top Bottom