Road Cycling

Soldato
I’d pay another few quid for them to make the valve cores removable on the rally’s. Easier to add sealant and valve extensions then!

They are as quick to change as a normal clincher really when you get used to it.

Recommend me a cheap training alternative!

Soldato
They are as quick to change as a normal clincher really when you get used to it.

I've been reading up on them a bit out of curiosity. Have some questions for you if you don't mind.:D

Some people suggest if you can get a tub off easily with just your thumbs it was a bad glue job in the first place? How did you remove your tub punctured tub today? What will you do with it now?

Do you carry a spare tub and sealant for every ride? Doesn't that negate any weight savings? If you were going on a 7 day cycling trip abroad what tubular accessories would you bring?

Recommend me a cheap training alternative!

Tubeless!

Soldato
When deflated totally you can push it side to side until you overcome the glue a little bit, I use a thin tyre lever to help out and get under the tyre in one spot.

Then you can just work your way round mostly by hand and take the tyre off.

I carry a spare tubular but no sealant in my pocket.

I currently don’t have any other options as my clincher rims stretch a 23mm tyre too much (measures more than 25mm!) and it can rub the frame on the P3. A 23mm tub measures 23mm so I have no issues.

When doing TT I leave it at the start/finish. The weight loss off the wheel has more of an impact than the weight of the tyre in my pocket.

A fresh glue job from a bare wheel is better imo than reusing glue, but takes a long time to strip back.

Soldato
Fantastic weather this weekend.

Indeed - Saturday afternoon was lovely so I got out for a couple of hours. Chilly if you stopped for too long but great rolling along wrapped up.

First outing for my "finished" new bike as the roads were dry and pretty clean still.

Po4TDnLh.jpg

Actually got it at the end of July, so have been out enjoying it but was waiting to finally get the bling wheels on it. Synapse (58cm) with Ultegra Di2. Have got SPD-SLs for it but swapped back to SPDs so I can use my winter boots.

The ride is so much better than my trusty old Planet-X - you go faster as you're not getting beat up as much on the crap roads.

Stock wheels were Mavic Askium, which with tyres (Schwalbe Lugano), tubes, rotors and cassette weigh in at 3kg. New wheels from DCR (CCR/Venn carbon CTL 50mm rims, DT 350 hubs, CX-Ray spokes, tubeless) are 2.5kg all in which is a nice saving. I was tempted to go with DT 240 hubs but they were £200 more to save another 100g. More than happy to admit it's placebo but they seem to pick up speed a lot quicker and just seem to want to roll along faster. Spot the person who has never had deeper section wheels before...

Roll on next summer!

Soldato
That's another good point - what other LBS regularly price matches / runs similar pricing to Wiggle/CRC? I asked another LBS the other day about a replacement BB. Sigma and Wiggle wanted £13. The other LBS said that's less than they pay for the BB (did make me wonder why they don't just purchase from Wiggle etc?). I don't think they were lying either. I know the guy from a few rides etc and he seemed genuinely surprised Wiggle had it so low.

Though I have heard of Sigma refusing price matches a bit more recently due to the price being below their cost.
My LBS will price match many online places but only on certain brands. When I bought my Zipp Course 30 they where able to match the Wiggle (sale) price of £630 as they had an agreement with Zipp that means Zipp will honour their margin even with the reduced price. Jon commented they have lots of agreements with their partner-suppliers like that, so maybe it's an industry thing? They've certainly done the same with Trek, Giant and Specialized bikes (their margin must have still been pretty good as they gave me a further 2% off when processing my wheels). The same LBS regularly give me 5/10% 'club discount' there on different things depending what it is as I help run the weekend social rides... But then they always get my repeat custom when it comes to things so it works! ;)

Not been on here for yonks, hope everyone's well. Still plugging away, lost about 6kg since May. Probably the best rider I've been at the moment, not that that is saying too much :D

Loving it though and keep stacking the miles up where I can.
Keep at it! That's great loss, keeping the enjoyment going can be hard over the winter months due to the weather, so working on other motivations like feeling good, weightloss and increasing fitness may outweigh the real 'enjoyment' (of riding in freezing, dark & wet conditions)!

I think a lot of people forget what it's all about and get caught up in watts and being vegan.(myself for the watts part a bit)
Jonny the closet vegan ;)

Wondered what a 'drum up spot' is so had to look it up. Result was a bit tame!
Haha same here!

Monday’s legs be like :(:( hope I don’t meet any stairs today.
I felt really slow today, put it down to a busy weekend, not being 100% and dressed in full winter gear. Was bitter cold wind here this morning!

<snip>

Stock wheels were Mavic Askium, which with tyres (Schwalbe Lugano), tubes, rotors and cassette weigh in at 3kg. New wheels from DCR (CCR/Venn carbon CTL 50mm rims, DT 350 hubs, CX-Ray spokes, tubeless) are 2.5kg all in which is a nice saving. I was tempted to go with DT 240 hubs but they were £200 more to save another 100g. More than happy to admit it's placebo but they seem to pick up speed a lot quicker and just seem to want to roll along faster. Spot the person who has never had deeper section wheels before...
Bike is looking superb mate, really clean lines and those wheels make even the Synapse look fast! :D

The 350 hubs are nice, had a play with some in a shop and may still pick up a pair of them to rebuild my old Axis wheels. The smooth endless spin you get from DT hubs is beautiful, not to mention the feeling and noise with the ratchet. The 77/177D hubs on my Zipps feel very similar. Freehub is a bit more clickly and less buzzy, but very similar. The spin forever in the stand, even on the freehub! Cheaper hubs you get 4-5 spins I generally find, on these it's closer to a dozen from a little flick. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Made it out at the weekend for some base miles after a 6 week break from cycling. Being back on the winter bike made me realise I need a new winter bike! I use a Boardman Team Carbon at the moment which is a great bike, but it has long drop rim brakes (to accommodate mud guards). They feel absolutely hopeless after switching from the Bianchi with discs.

I'm determined to cycle through the winter (or at least get on the turbo) this year so that I don't start from scratch in April like I usually do!

Soldato
If you're going to sit the Boardman on the turbo (perfect use for it - no brakes required) and not ride outside, then technically you don't need a winter bike! ;)

Soldato
Cheers all. Would definitely recommend people keep riding through the "off" season. I find if you simply keep the regular training going for long enough, it becomes a habit. You just do it, without having to find a reason to.

I like the analogy of training being like building a house. That extra session is another brick or two laid, when many people are static.

Soldato
what is the concensus on best colour for fluo hi-viz wear ? have ordered a few French standard EN 1150 gilets from Amazon.fr
they all have night/white reflective panels, but I think fluo red/orange is better compromise for both dusk/day and night visibility than yellow ? ... didn't choose the Rapha pink
31022148527_c5fd633e27_o_d.jpg

Soldato
what is the concensus on best colour for fluo hi-viz wear ? have ordered a few French standard EN 1150 gilets from Amazon.fr
they all have night/white reflective panels, but I think fluo red/orange is better compromise for both dusk/day and night visibility than yellow ? ... didn't choose the Rapha pink

Under street/car lights the material colour makes no difference IMO. The reflective strips which are consistent across all are what will be seen and a decent set of lights on the bike itself are what really matter. Material colour is not worthwhile worrying about so just go for the colour you personally like the look of the most.

Soldato
Bike is looking superb mate, really clean lines and those wheels make even the Synapse look fast! :D

The 350 hubs are nice, had a play with some in a shop and may still pick up a pair of them to rebuild my old Axis wheels. The smooth endless spin you get from DT hubs is beautiful, not to mention the feeling and noise with the ratchet. The 77/177D hubs on my Zipps feel very similar. Freehub is a bit more clickly and less buzzy, but very similar. The spin forever in the stand, even on the freehub! Cheaper hubs you get 4-5 spins I generally find, on these it's closer to a dozen from a little flick. :D

Shame the rider isn't very fast!

The freehub on the 350s seemed really quiet when I was out, could detect a nice bit of whoosh from the rims at time but way quieter than my ancient Planet-X wheels.

Nice ride, like the wheels.

Thanks - I do like the stealth look of the rims with no flashy graphics or logos.

Soldato
<snip>I find if you simply keep the regular training going for long enough, it becomes a habit. You just do it, without having to find a reason to.<snip>
This! Particularly commuting, I just get on with it. When I consider my riding and what I want to do I really don't consider skipping/changing my commuting, the only way I consider it alongside other riding is in the accumulation of fatigue.

Even now, not feeling 100% and trying to fight off some illness - I'll just skip my midweek turbo ride, continuing to commute (even when I could take the car). :)

I wouldn't be overly concerned, all of them are eye catching which is what you need during the gloomy dusk/sunrise. Obviously during pitch black the reflective panels are the most important part - the colour doesn't really come into it.

Interestingly, where I work the guys loading lorries (PPE required 24/7) go for orange as they're handing trees/plants in the dusk so say it stands out more against foliage. The rest of the outside nursery wears yellow. Visitors and office staff (including me) have company issued orange.

In the UK we don't see it too uniform but general building sites can have a requirement for different colour between trades, more commonly hard hats but I have experienced it being vests on restricted access sites (military/medical/etc). Think Blue for plumbers/heating, bricklayers/general workers yellow, carpenters/electricians green with management/visitors in orange. Forestry seems to be orange too. White helmets for planners/architects/some managers/medical.

On the road I'd go for orange or yellow, my go to commuting gilet is a Castelli Perfetto in fluo yellow. My high-viz/night jacket is a Proviz 360 which is more of a light grey which reflects pure white (and goes whiter in rain), I used to wear a Hump blue gilet with large reflective areas for my night-time riding but I do less of that now (outside of commuting basically none). These days I tend to have brighter (& more) lights so my protective wear is more for visibility in dawn/dusk - when my lights are less effective.

If I was doing a long ride at night I'd probably opt for the Proviz 360, it is utterly extreme in it's reflectivity and you don't see many of them around, but then that's what you want - to utterly stand out! It almost gets better the darker it gets! Wiggle/DHB do their own range of similarly reflective jackets now, I'd probably opt for one of those as the Proviz isn't great as a 'jacket'. It's not well designed for the riding position, the inner mesh layer moves around/bunches and the rear rides up. The DHB jackets I've had are better designed (the EQ2.5 was an amazing jacket!).

Material colour is not worthwhile worrying about so just go for the colour you personally like the look of the most.
This. As long as it's eye catching. I really have a 'gripe' against all the cycling kit designed for 'winter riding' which is blocks of dark/black colour with little or none reflective. We live in Europe, not on the equator! :rolleyes:

Shame the rider isn't very fast!

The freehub on the 350s seemed really quiet when I was out, could detect a nice bit of whoosh from the rims at time but way quieter than my ancient Planet-X wheels.
You're doing well, saw a couple of your Sufferfest's pop up on my Strava feed the last month or so!

Playing with the 350 I thought it was quite a loud freehub, quite typical of DT Swiss? Not that quiet?! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to say I'm getting more and more into Rapha pink. Got some of the Brevet shorts in Navy/Pink and they're glorious! Subtle but bright. Need to get the matching jersey... :cool:

Annoying thing the 3 times I've tried Rapha gilets I've had no luck with sizing. They're made for lanky bodies, not short torso's like mine!

Soldato
I've just ordered my 1st Roadie clothes (I'm a mtb'er really). Castelli tops and shorts. Their sizing is crazy. I'm normally a medium, but the top is XXL and the shorts are L. Lovely gear though, the wind proof top is amazing, I feel quicker just wearing that! no more baggy floppy tops! :D (yes, I had shorts on too)

Back
Top Bottom