Road Cycling

Soldato
Urgh. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but when my favourite crappy customer service bike company and my favourite scab to pick, Brexit, collide, what's a man to do...

Planet X offering €/£ parity for any one able to (marginally) capitalise...

Soldato
At least Shimano moved away from the pin for 11 speed but it isn't the reusable type.

giphy.gif

Soldato
Had a good 100km Zwift ride yesterday morning, felt strong on even quite an undulating tricky course requiring lots of efforts to keep the group together on the climb and rollers. Thankfully had some good lead and helpers without too many keeping efforts required. I actually nearly missed the start and was eating cereal for the first 20 minutes! Really would not recommended crunchy museli when doing this! Bedded in nicely and with measured efforts over the rollers/climb to close gaps and get riders back on I was feeling good. Paced it well on the flats, usually z2-3 and was even able to dip down into z1 a few times. With a tidy group the last lap I put a few long pulls in to try and drop the ride time down as we where +14 minutes over expected ETA at one point on lap 3. Several of us working had got that down to around +11/12 mins by the end. I even managed a sprint at the finish! So continuing my fitness/form well, with my legs felt pretty good all day afterwards. These 2-3 hours Zwift rides are fatiguing me less, even keeping I'm able to finish at a 2.5w/kg average feeling like I could ride more/again. Sit bones a bit tender still this morning but no sores and legs still good. :cool:

But on saturday my lack of experience with BB's came to a bit of a climax. Went to fit my Wheelsmfg PF30 BB Outboard and found it's the wrong ID size... Anyone need one for standard PF30? I got it for a great price (also with cashback) so can do you a deal! :D ;)

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracke...om-bracket-for-24mm-cranks-shimano-black.html

Reading around all the info I could online for my Diverge (Specialized have NO info online regarding BB compatibility for many frames, including mine I could find), the one I ordered should fit my Specialized OSBB frame according to my reading on Wheelsmfg and various other sources. My misunderstanding may not have helped me here - I've a carbon frame which has an alloy shell 'glued'/epoxied into it. The carbon frames are listed most places as 61mm wide which requires two 3.5mm spacers to make it 68mm wide. I ordered them (took 2 weeks to arrive) yet when I took my old Praxis M30 BB out I measured the shell at 68mm wide... Uh-ho, well thought just don't need the spacers, little annoyed but there we go. Went to fit it and the PF30 ID is too wide, being around 46mm, with my frame being 42mm. ARGH! FFS! :(

So now I'm a bit stuck. Wheelsmfg measurements for 'Specialized OSBB Alloy' appear correct - 42mm ID & 68mm shell width. Their compatible listed BB is standard BB30 which is just the bearings?! I don't have grooves for retaining clips in my bare frame/alloy sleeve. But I figure these bearings would fit my existing Praxis BB (has a clip the NDS, but is PF the DS). But part of this exercise is to move away from that BB due to the water/dirt ingress between it's cups and the frame! Argh!

Anyone with any tips? In theory it's the same BB as the 2015 and onwards Tarmac/Venge with the Specalized Carbon FACT cranks @Jonny ///M @Saytan ? I'm looking at C-Bear now

Also, just to share, as I wont lie I'm rather proud of myself, tomorrow will be my 5 month cycling anniversary and the scales told me this morning I'd just broken the '5 stone lost' barrier! :)
Welcome to the 'nothing fits in my wardrobe' club.

That's mega loss, well done! You'll soon find it tapers off, I actually found my weight started to increase (muscle), while body size still decreased. I've still got people who don't recognise me and friends who comment every time I see them 'have you lost weight?'. Actually the last 2 years I'm generally heavier (76-78kg) than I was (73-75kg). Started back at around 95-98kg in 2012.

Use a SRAM chain and although the link isn’t officially reusable I have never had an issue splitting and joining it with the proper pliers.
Yup same, generally only changing the QL when it feels loose and 'easy' to rejoin. I really rate the SRAM PC1130 11 speed chains, unsure if the 10 speed are as reliable. But I get around 30% more mileage over the slightly more expensive KMC chains. But we all know I get through chains more than anyone else...! ;)

Will be interesting to see how speeds increase when I finally move onto a road bike!
You do know this is the Rad Cycling thread don't you? ;) :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading around all the info I could online for my Diverge (Specialized have NO info online regarding BB compatibility for many frames, including mine I could find), the one I ordered should fit my Specialized OSBB frame according to my reading on Wheelsmfg and various other sources. My misunderstanding may not have helped me here - I've a carbon frame which has an alloy shell 'glued'/epoxied into it. The carbon frames are listed most places as 61mm wide which requires two 3.5mm spacers to make it 68mm wide. I ordered them (took 2 weeks to arrive) yet when I took my old Praxis M30 BB out I measured the shell at 68mm wide... Uh-ho, well thought just don't need the spacers, little annoyed but there we go. Went to fit it and the PF30 ID is too wide, being around 46mm, with my frame being 42mm. ARGH! FFS! :(

So now I'm a bit stuck. Wheelsmfg measurements for 'Specialized OSBB Alloy' appear correct - 42mm ID & 68mm shell width. Their compatible listed BB is standard BB30 which is just the bearings?! I don't have grooves for retaining clips in my bare frame/alloy sleeve. But I figure these bearings would fit my existing Praxis BB (has a clip the NDS, but is PF the DS). But part of this exercise is to move away from that BB due to the water/dirt ingress between it's cups and the frame! Argh!

Anyone with any tips? In theory it's the same BB as the 2015 and onwards Tarmac/Venge with the Specalized Carbon FACT cranks @Jonny ///M @Saytan ? I'm looking at C-Bear now

Personally, no idea. i'd suggest talking to the mechanics at a big spesh dealer, they probably go through this all the time. Take biscuits.

this time 20 years ago everything was BSA threaded and we got on with riding our bikes instead of spending hours finding bottom brackets.

Soldato
But on saturday my lack of experience with BB's came to a bit of a climax. Went to fit my Wheelsmfg PF30 BB Outboard and found it's the wrong ID size... Anyone need one for standard PF30? I got it for a great price (also with cashback) so can do you a deal! :D ;)

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-bracke...om-bracket-for-24mm-cranks-shimano-black.html

;) :D

Got a photo of that BB? There must be a grove in there as it's sounding like BB30 to me.

What cranks are you fitting the Praxis ones?

Soldato
Soldato
A picture of which? Googled but the Wheelsmfg I bought is the one I linked. The Praxis I'm replacing is this one. The Praxis has a 30mm ID bearing the DS and a 28mm ID the NDS so only compatible with the Praxis turn zayante m30 cranks.

I'm also moving away from these Praxis M30 cranks to Shimano R8000. I want to go to a standard for all of these compatibility reasons lol

I meant the shell, sorry.

Get one of these

Job done, sleep easy.

Soldato
I meant the shell, sorry.

Get one of these

Job done, sleep easy.
That's what I've got and it doesn't fit my frame FFS! :D :p

That's the one I've been looking for and turned a blank ffs lol

I wasn't aware there was so much difference between PF30 & BB30 (4mm difference ID in this instance!?)

https://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/PF30-OUT-SHIMANO-INSTRUCTIONS-WEB.pdf
https://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/BB30-OUT-SHIMANO-INSTRUCTIONS-WEB.pdf

Less agro just to buy a new bike Roady ;) :D
I wish! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom