Road Cycling

Soldato
Take this to the indoor riding thread ;)

Edit: Quiet in here today... :D

Had some good fun with a lorry this morning, coming out of the junction from home he was slow so after a brief tow before, I leapfrogged him at it and got in front. He didn't catch me and the couple of cyclepath joins/leaves he'd only just started to reel me in. Must have been travelling at a steady 23/24mph. I gave way to him (sat up & waited) at the roundabout and sat in for a tow, got nicely upto 32mph but he continued to increase speed so I dropped off. Shame. Gusty winds around so as soon as I was even slightly detached I was into a block headwind so soft pedalled towards work. I always find it good fun to stretch the legs with a sprint after a previous nights Zwifting, really helps to stretch things out a bit before then sitting nearly all day at a desk. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Not even sure which mine are. Middle of the range from 5 years back.

They say Arctic and are a pull lace fasten, w/carbon reinforced sole and are high vis yellow/green with a goretex upper. I think at the time the GTX model came with Boas but were only in black and I wasn’t so fussed about spending £50 more.

Just wearing summer socks and these boots my feet were as warm as wearing two pairs of socks, road shoes and overshoes. They really do work.

Winter bike riding great, my noise from the last ride was chainring bolts. I didn’t check them when I assembled and they weren’t all torqued equally or at all from factory. No noises at all today, no rattling guards, spot on.

Gave it a quick wash after riding to help prolong the rim and brake pads and a quick once over to check all the bolts.

Soldato
-5 witnessed this morning. My 3 season old Giro's that do not velcro any more coupled with my overshoes that are holey are not cutting it.

Also no water available after 5 miles as I cannot be bothered licking my water for hydration. Bit of a faff.

Soldato
It’s a Northwave winter boot type day tomorrow! 2-3c overnight & no frost but a bitter wind predicted!

Not worn these for a good 3-4 years!
Really must dig mine out... Saturdays club ride (my first for months!) was a wet, cold and windy affair... I've not had soaked through feet like that for about a year.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2931933642

Still have a worn pair of the Sidi Hydro for sale I've been trying to move on for a couple of seasons, the Northwave Fahrenheit I replaced them with are quite a bit better fit on me (Sidi's crushed the outside nerve and top of my foot due to design). Mine are the black ones, @Berger yours are probably these yellow ones? https://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-fahrenheit-gtx-gore-tex-winter-road-shoes/

Winter bike riding great, my noise from the last ride was chainring bolts. I didn’t check them when I assembled and they weren’t all torqued equally or at all from factory. No noises at all today, no rattling guards, spot on.

Gave it a quick wash after riding to help prolong the rim and brake pads and a quick once over to check all the bolts.
Good call, well worth checking them all if you found chainrings not well tightened! The issues I had early on with my Giants chainring bolts and even rear mech hanger causing all sorts of noises took ages to narrow down and resolve. Think in the end I changed the bolts so they had a hex both sides rather than that annoying shimano peg spanner. Couldn't torque them enough using it.

-5 witnessed this morning. My 3 season old Giro's that do not velcro any more coupled with my overshoes that are holey are not cutting it.

Also no water available after 5 miles as I cannot be bothered licking my water for hydration. Bit of a faff.
Bit nippy! Miserable not having hydration but when things are that cold sometimes the last thing you want is a freezing cold drink sapping away your body heat! :o

My giro's are around 3-4 years old and starting to die as well. Using the Treble II. Fantastic shoe for the money I paid, how I've treated them and what they've been through. Will certainly be considering Giro's for their replacement - the next 'everyday' commuting & general riding shoe! :)

Shop guy on our saturday ride was wearing the early version of the Spatz overshoes. 3 others of us had wet & miserable feet using standard shoes & overshoes. He had 90% dry & warm feet and that wasn't just saying so, he proved it afterwards stripping them off and we could see his socks where mostly dry! We where really impressed but feeling the fabric and discussing with a few of the guys who use them, they're more of a wet weekend/club ride type overshoe than an everyday commuting overshoe, at least the Pro's like he was wearing. The material is a little fragile and if caught/snagged will tear easily... The Roadman version are the toughest/warmest ones and I'm really tempted...

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady - I have had the Roadman 2's for a fortnight now.
They are awesome! I didn't wear them this morning due to rushing as they take a wee bitty longer to put on.
My mate Chris who won the Pan Celtic ultra thing has got them also and lets say he puts them through much more stress than most and even he thinks they are the best overshoe money can buy.

I just got some Shimano RC901's in blue also but only worn them a few times on turbo. Not wearing them in the grim Highlands until June probably!

Soldato
It’s a Northwave winter boot type day tomorrow! 2-3c overnight & no frost but a bitter wind predicted!

Not worn these for a good 3-4 years!

Easily the best shoes I've bought for winter, would never bother with overshoes again. 3 hours in the peeing rain on Friday night, feet were still warm and dry.

They get a bad rap but Velotoze are great for milder, wet days over regular shoes. I've no idea how people destroy them so easily.

Soldato
@Roady - I have had the Roadman 2's for a fortnight now.
They are awesome! I didn't wear them this morning due to rushing as they take a wee bitty longer to put on.
My mate Chris who won the Pan Celtic ultra thing has got them also and lets say he puts them through much more stress than most and even he thinks they are the best overshoe money can buy.

I just got some Shimano RC901's in blue also but only worn them a few times on turbo. Not wearing them in the grim Highlands until June probably!
Good call, how is the material on the Roadman compared to the standard Neopreyne you get on DHB/Sealskinz etc? The ones Jon was wearing on saturday it felt quite thin, much more rubbery than the more fabric feel of typical overshoes. It did feel like it would rip easily if snagged, but equally his where the version 1, which I think are more the ones branded 'Pro' now and not the Roadman.

Nice shoes, but really not for winter! Although saying that, when Jon took his Spatz off on Saturday, he was wearing plain white S-works shoes and they where still pristine... So the Spatz certainly seemed to kept the dirt away too! Although he's shop staff, single and serious so probably gets new shoes every 3 months! ;)

Easily the best shoes I've bought for winter, would never bother with overshoes again. 3 hours in the peeing rain on Friday night, feet were still warm and dry.

They get a bad rap but Velotoze are great for milder, wet days over regular shoes. I've no idea how people destroy them so easily.
I found with my Sidi's in prolonged rain/spray/wet they still needed something to keep dry, but standard overshoes where more than enough for them and easy to fit as they're not chunky boots, nor are the Northwave.

I've got velotoze too and can see how people destroy them easily wearing them. Especially if you wore them regularly...! My feet got so humid in them I've not worn them more than a couple of times, but that was in the warm weather, need to try them in the cold... But then I generally want more insulation as I'm soft. :o

Soldato
Good call, how is the material on the Roadman compared to the standard Neopreyne you get on DHB/Sealskinz etc? The ones Jon was wearing on saturday it felt quite thin, much more rubbery than the more fabric feel of typical overshoes. It did feel like it would rip easily if snagged, but equally his where the version 1, which I think are more the ones branded 'Pro' now and not the Roadman.

Nice shoes, but really not for winter! Although saying that, when Jon took his Spatz off on Saturday, he was wearing plain white S-works shoes and they where still pristine... So the Spatz certainly seemed to kept the dirt away too! Although he's shop staff, single and serious so probably gets new shoes every 3 months! ;)

Roadman2 are like a wetsuit. Definitely not thin and will not rip unless you take a saw to them.
Think they are kevlar lined on the more exposed parts that may rub/scrape ground when walking etc.

They are mega, seriously thick and like a wetsuit type material/thickness is best I could describe them as.

Soldato
What other neopreyne overshoes have you tried/have you got and can you compare the thickness/feel of the material to them? Just to give me an idea... Annoying none of the shops stock them here, NFTO did before they closed (Spatzwear founder and partner are ex team managers) but at that point I couldn't fathom spending £30+ on a set of overshoes! :o

Soldato
What other neopreyne overshoes have you tried/have you got and can you compare the thickness/feel of the material to them? Just to give me an idea... Annoying none of the shops stock them here, NFTO did before they closed (Spatzwear founder and partner are ex team managers) but at that point I couldn't fathom spending £30+ on a set of overshoes! :o

I have had Cube thermal ones, Velotoze and Castelli Pioggia 3 (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-pioggia-3-overshoes-2/?sku=5360771788)

They are a good bit thicker than even the Cube thermal ones I have. The toe protection and protection round the shoe side cover parts is A LOT more re-enforced.

My Cube ones are intact. 4 years old and still do their job well. No rips or tears at all and these Spatz are thicker/warmer than them.

They are more a rubbery type wetsuit kind of material compared the fabricy feeling thick material of the Cube thermal ones.

The castelli one's are like a shiney leathery type material. Not thermal ones at all. More so wet weather overshoes and for autumn kind of days.

Soldato
That's great thanks, especially the feedback about the toe/shoe sides proection against what is probably the same neropreyne on the Cube I'm on about from the DHB/Sealskinz.

Hey, if they're good enough for this rider & these conditions what am I worrying about! - https://twitter.com/spatzwear/status/1088771245922050049 :cool:

Now all I need is the purchasing department to clear it... Might have to wait until after the festive period unless they're on a deal better than the usual £85...

Soldato
Oh was definitely an undeclared purchase in the dictatorship I live in!

I seen these Belgies wearing them and it is what sold them to me to be honest.
I've never. EVER had warm feet through our winters up here. I will pay £100 to have warm feet and so far at £85 these are proving their worth.

Soldato
Oh was definitely an undeclared purchase in the dictatorship I live in!

I seen these Belgies wearing them and it is what sold them to me to be honest.
I've never. EVER had warm feet through our winters up here. I will pay £100 to have warm feet and so far at £85 these are proving their worth.
Haha know that feeling. Do you do the same as me - have to avoid using cashback sites for the purchases you wish to 'not declare'? I even have to use a non-AMEX card on my Paypal. Missing out on Nectar points is a small sacrifice! ;)

I've never really suffered too much with cold feet in the winter, thankfully. But the handful of times a year they get soaked through and cold it really is miserable. For me it's always those club rides where I know it's going to happen so having something different to wear to circumvent it would be good... But I really think it's got to be a 'bought these with my christmas money' kinda purchase.

Damn, just seem Cyclepowermeters have the Assiomo Duo for £585 which is a good price for a UK source.

https://www.cyclepowermeters.com/assioma-duo.html
Good price, the Powertap P2 can be had for only a little more too. I actually just came across several sets of P1 refirbished on Ebay from Evans'. They could be worth a punt, CPM do service them if you wanted peace of mind and I recall it's not that expensive.

My C1 died out of warranty and they diagnosed it and replaced with new for £155. I was originally quoted £240 from Paligap the previous UK Powertap repair centre just to calibrate and service it...

They featured that on CyclingTips at the weekend - I watched the film of it. Looked like a mega ride, but pretty brutal weather! Can't believe a 14 year old lad did it!
Linky?

Last edited:
Soldato
They featured that on CyclingTips at the weekend - I watched the film of it. Looked like a mega ride, but pretty brutal weather! Can't believe a 14 year old lad did it!

I've not watched the film yet because I am still in the huff with him.
Sat up until 3am watching bloody dots on a GPS tracker all week. Thinking he's about to miss a ferry and going to get caught whilst he is uploading instagram stories of the scenery and calling me names in the videos.
He had to abandon the trans pyrenees and I could not have been happier as I cannot deal with the stress.
These people who do these things are completely and utterly insane.

@Roady - https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/the...eltic-race-across-scotland-ireland-and-wales/

Soldato
Haha know that feeling. Do you do the same as me - have avoid using cashback sites for the purchases you wish to 'not declare'? I even have to use a non-AMEX card on my Paypal. Missing out on Nectar points is a small sacrifice! ;)

I've never really suffered too much with cold feet in the winter, thankfully. But the handful of times a year they get soaked through and cold it really is miserable. For me it's always those club rides where I know it's going to happen so having something different to wear to circumvent it would be good... But I really think it's got to be a 'bought these with my christmas money' kinda purchase.

I just get delivered to work and sneak it home on days I have the car to work and when I know she won't get home from work until after me. I can sneak it out the car and in the garage that way without being spotted and/or stabbed.

Woolie Boolies, shoes, velotoze toe covers, thermal overshoes.... I will still get numb toes within the hour if it's around 0 or below with all that on.
With the Roadman's I done 2.5 hours the other weekend in -1 and my toes only started feeling cold after 2 hours. They never went completely numb.... so as daft as it sounds, that's quality progress for me!

Back
Top Bottom