Road Cycling

Soldato
I've decided I may well just stick with Teal anyway... I quite like it.

What are thoughts on wheels? https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-disc-teal-pro/build/

I was wondering about Zipp 303 S Wheelset for £350 more, but there's an almost 2 month wait on them

Mavic Cosmic SLR 45 Disc Wheelset HG at £800?

Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon TL Disc Wheelset HG at £900?

The 303 Firecrest do look to be about £1,500, so I couldn't do it cheaper buying them separately.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have the firecrests and think they are great but like so many things, I have no real reference point and I'm not a professional. All the reviews from them are universally glowing though so they must be doing something right.

Associate
Starting to see some good deals on bikes/parts coming through (example, Sora Synapse for £550). Are we starting to see a return to the supply/demand side we had pre covid?

Soldato
I know Tredz used to but don't now, as if maybe some rules got applied, but it clearly states on the Ribble site -

Can I top up the voucher?​

Yes, orders containing over the value of Cycle to Work scheme voucher can be paid for by Card, PayPal or with gift vouchers through the checkout process.
Looking on another site it does clearly state that in 2019 the rules were changed and you were not allowed to Top Up, so I went back to the Ribble site to check. Despite the above being clearly shown on a modal on the Ribble site, if you find the actual Cycle 2 Work page, it says you can't top up. I've emailed for confirmation, but I suspect someone just didn't update part of the site with the new info.

Back to square one then! I do still quite like the Ribble option, I get the exact spec I want. On the downside though, there's a 6-12 week delay on them, depending on the spec.

Having said that, in my LBS earlier asking them about new bikes. They suggested I buy a frame and let them build one to it to my spec, which actually sounds like a good idea. If I buy a frame for £2.5k, I can C2W it and then they bolt on the exact build I want. Anyone see some good offers on frames?

Are we starting to see a return to the supply/demand side we had pre covid?
I'm hearing there are some good deals about because many places are actually now overstocked (hence things like the Moore's whoever closure/auction)

Soldato
Looking on another site it does clearly state that in 2019 the rules were changed and you were not allowed to Top Up, so I went back to the Ribble site to check. Despite the above being clearly shown on a modal on the Ribble site, if you find the actual Cycle 2 Work page, it says you can't top up. I've emailed for confirmation, but I suspect someone just didn't update part of the site with the new info.

Back to square one then! I do still quite like the Ribble option, I get the exact spec I want. On the downside though, there's a 6-12 week delay on them, depending on the spec.

Having said that, in my LBS earlier asking them about new bikes. They suggested I buy a frame and let them build one to it to my spec, which actually sounds like a good idea. If I buy a frame for £2.5k, I can C2W it and then they bolt on the exact build I want. Anyone see some good offers on frames?

I'm hearing there are some good deals about because many places are actually now overstocked (hence things like the Moore's whoever closure/auction)

Obviously it’s not guaranteed but some bike shops will “bend” the rules.

I used my voucher at a place which allowed me to buy upfront as I waited for the voucher to be processed then refunded me and put it through the voucher. Although other shops wouldn’t let me.

So some places definitely flex the rules.

Maybe Ribble would let you buy the frame/wheels with the voucher and then buy the other components separately.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Hope all of you lot managed to get out on the road over this weekend. Went for a nice 40km route in the lovely Kent countryside. There are few things better in life than spending a few hours in nature going fast(ish). My poor legs are not thanking me right now however. Nearly 900m of climbing on a 42km route.

Soldato
I did 80 miles on Friday, with 5,000ft of climbing, including some silly 14%+ in the Chiltern Hills. I've only ever had a Strava Relative Effort over 400 five times. Friday was a 513... :eek:

Today was a nice casual 45ish miles at a steady pace. I was hoping to get a lot more miles in over the long weekend but Friday ruined me for Saturday and tomorrow looks a bit too wet :(

Reactions: fez
Soldato
I'm aching all over after 65 miles on Friday through Good and High Easter and then spending pretty much the rest of the weekend doing gardening (new grass seed sewn, ready for a week of rain). Got nearly an hour in today when visiting the parents, I almost took the car for this journey but the nice weather and the fact bank holiday traffic meant it was a obvious choice to cycle.

My road bike is now off the road as I'm not able to use all the gears on the rear derailleur, I assume as the cable has slipped. I think I need 3 hands to fix this - one on the derailleur to move it into position, one on the cable and one on the screw that holds it in place. If it isn't that, I think I'll take it to the bike shop for a new gear cable.

fez

fez

Caporegime
My road bike is now off the road as I'm not able to use all the gears on the rear derailleur, I assume as the cable has slipped. I think I need 3 hands to fix this - one on the derailleur to move it into position, one on the cable and one on the screw that holds it in place. If it isn't that, I think I'll take it to the bike shop for a new gear cable.

Should be able to get away with just two. As long as you tighten the barrel adjuster on the rear mech where the cable goes in and then loosen it a turn or so you can get the cable in the right ball park and then use that to fine tune it. Pair of pliers to hold the cable end and pull some tension which should allow you to move the cage to where it needs to be laterally and then use the other hand to nip up the bolt.

Soldato
I did try but couldn't get enough cable out. I expect one of my cycling mates will be over before the next group ride and the weather looks rubbish for the week anyway.

Soldato
Today was a bad day. Got a mile away before realising I’d not refitted the battery for the rear derailleur. So a cycle home to get it before Another puncture for me. Annoyingly this time was 7 miles away from home. Same cheap Chinese TPU tube. Sorry @AndyCr15 still no spares. Which means no riding tomorrow. It lost pressure on a biggish decent and I hoped to ride it out before I saw a cyclist with a pump. However I hit some bumpy tarmac and it just went.

Although I have now ordered 5 on Amazon to arrive Tuesday. Sadly this stupid religious country means nowhere open today/tomorrow. Saddle bag is also now fitted with tyre levers and mini pump!

Have also got some 40mm Carbon wheels on the way. The price was good so current wheels will get switched to backups with 45mm trail tyres and I have a great 2 in 1 bike.

Ran 2 miles to the other side of a village to meet my wife carrying/pushing the bike and then cooled down with a swim in the pool. Could almost have been a mini triathlon!

• Haha
Soldato
Hmm, looking again and I think I have the gear cable in the right spot as I can go from 4th largest to 3rd smallest cog. The limit screws don't appear to do anything as I have taken them from minimum to maximum and it doesn't change anything. Also interestingly, it shifts nicely into each gear.

Soldato
I had one for a couple of years prior to covid then stopped for a couple of years to save some money, continued training with what id learnt but got another last year as felt I'd stalled a little. Mainly got mine for cx, and use a local coach who helps more with the skills side than the pure power.

Soldato
I think he said something like the end caps were loose. Basically all the pavels had fallen into the freehub body, so he would put them back in place.

I'm sure you're right and I should try and learn how it works... but I can't overstate how bad I am with mechanical things. In the past I have surprised people with how well I can mess something very simple up...
Ah yeah, that'll do it. Need the pawls in place otherwise you'll be doing quite a lot of spinning without going anywhere! :D

Totally down to you about learning, as it's bikes you'll likely learn it easier and enjoy 'learning' more than other things which you are likely less interested in... I just don't like the idea of just paying through the nose every time for everything! I've got friends who do so don't feel like I'm singling you out... You know the best way to learn things - by breaking them first! But would say you can save a bunch of money doing your own maintenance, plus have a huge amount more 'freedom' and flexibility by just knowing how parts of it work. A part of that is so you can judge how important things are to sort - or not! ;)

I threw my summer wheels back on over the weekend. Nearly totally failed to get out as did a bunch of other maintenance and typical the other half had booked something for the best weather (Saturday). Grr!

Did take my freehub apart as it was a bit stiff so stripped it, cleaned it and reassembled. Now it's flies and puuuuurrrrrrs. Grabbed some pictures & happy to share them! :)

I've decided I may well just stick with Teal anyway... I quite like it.

What are thoughts on wheels? https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-disc-teal-pro/build/

I was wondering about Zipp 303 S Wheelset for £350 more, but there's an almost 2 month wait on them

Mavic Cosmic SLR 45 Disc Wheelset HG at £800?

Zipp 303 Firecrest Carbon TL Disc Wheelset HG at £900?

The 303 Firecrest do look to be about £1,500, so I couldn't do it cheaper buying them separately.
Looks a very glossy paint job on the site? But hopefully a bit tamer in reality. Still looks nice build for the money... But now for the Roady gripe/moan (I've reached that age when it takes a lot for me to be non-critical)! I've not been a fan of the way Ribble do their rear stays the last couple of frame designs. They look awkward and not very robust!? Everything else is super smooth lines, like any modern frame they just flow... Then there's a pointy elbow stuck out on the arse end! :cry: :confused:

Zipp 303 S are incredible wheels for the money. I love mine! Certainly worth it for that upgrade price over their own stock wheels. The Firecrest 303 also a great price, especially as only £600 more than the 303 S at that point. Wouldn't touch the Mavic's. Really surprised Mavic not gone bust as it's been talked about for many years.

Starting to see some good deals on bikes/parts coming through (example, Sora Synapse for £550). Are we starting to see a return to the supply/demand side we had pre covid?
I hope so, but still a bunch of build/wait times on stuff which makes me thinks some things still on back order/hard to get supply of. I'm crossing fingers it's all groupset based so we'll see some great slashed prices on bare frames this year...

The JohnPye Auction for stuff from Moore Large was mostly a waste of time. I did watch a couple of things (mostly kids bikes) and the ones I had my eye on sold for a bit more than I was willing to pay for mostly unknown bikes. So much stuff on there which was just complete unknowns so I picked 2 different kids bikes and then 3-4 auctions for each a few mins apart. Came close one of them. Seeing some others of the same bikes went for less money so I'd just picked the wrong auctions. But also looking at complete unknown bikes to me, with no details, pictures or specifics... The ones I looked at where this bike - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barracuda-Draco-Wheel-Suspension-Mountain/dp/B0758B9XZ3 which RRP at £280. Most of them went for around £100, although a couple as low as 68/74.

These was lots of e-bikes but more city hybrid ones, 'Vitesse' branded. Lots of city bikes on there from them and Barracuda, all the same. There's another lot up now.

I've got one of these which is fiddly to use well, but also really useful when I get it right - for that job of holding the cable, adding tension to it while I'm adjusting gears/running drivechain with the other hand. Will even lock out in position and providing you balance the thing well on the derailleur can also run through complete gear changes before tightening the bolt. But it is fiddly and there must be different ways/tools of doing it. I've tried various before and just persevere with this tool now I have it. Infuriating at times, but perseverance with it generally rewarded.

Hmm, looking again and I think I have the gear cable in the right spot as I can go from 4th largest to 3rd smallest cog. The limit screws don't appear to do anything as I have taken them from minimum to maximum and it doesn't change anything. Also interestingly, it shifts nicely into each gear.
Limit screws are only for the extremes of your Derailleur movement. For the maximum top and lowest bottom 'limit' of it's movement, they're not for cable adjustment or for indexing. If the derailleur is not at it's maximum or minimum the limit screws won't have anything to limit. Just consider them there to 'stop' the derailleur from throwing your chain off the inside or outside of the cassette and you are spot on what their job is.

All of the indexing, plus the 'movement' itself of the derailleur is done by the cable. If the cable has slipped (or stretched) then you would find it happy to change up (so top end of the cassette available) and just be missing the top end. As cable tension on the rear derailleur 'changes down'.

Ran 2 miles to the other side of a village to meet my wife carrying/pushing the bike and then cooled down with a swim in the pool. Could almost have been a mini triathlon!
Haha, this made me chuckle! Although with that much going wrong sounds more like you needed the willpower of an IM!

Why so hard to buy tubes? You're near one of the most popular places in Europe to ride a bike so must be a bunch of shops there! I get why you're using TPU but have to consider unlikely many of the traditional/small bike shops will carry any of them, or limited choice. Also many cheap TPU are heavier than better branded latex and butyl tubes... So just buy quality tubes - Continental Race 28 or Schwalbe SV15/20. Likely the ones you'll find in bike shops too. But also quite key to this - be changing your own and carrying your own pump! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Limit screws are only for the extremes of your Derailleur movement. For the maximum top and lowest bottom 'limit' of it's movement, they're not for cable adjustment or for indexing. If the derailleur is not at it's maximum or minimum the limit screws won't have anything to limit. Just consider them there to 'stop' the derailleur from throwing your chain off the inside or outside of the cassette and you are spot on what their job is.

All of the indexing, plus the 'movement' itself of the derailleur is done by the cable. If the cable has slipped (or stretched) then you would find it happy to change up (so top end of the cassette available) and just be missing the top end. As cable tension on the rear derailleur 'changes down'.

Thanks for the explanation, I think I'll call the bike shop for a new cable then.

Back
Top Bottom