Road Cycling

fez

fez

Caporegime
Total price so far is £1436 - that is 2 Di2 builds with quite a mixture of new and used parts.

I think this is my issue. Buying a second hand di2 disc brake setup seems to cost the best part of £800 for second hand stuff and you have all the associated risks, battery degradation and wear and tear on various parts and you only save yourself £600 over brand new ultegra di2 where I also get to pick the front chain ring and rear cassette and install etc is much easier along with the various improvements. It takes a degree to work out what parts you actually need for the damn setup you want as well. Will the cables be long enough? What do you need for bluetooth connection etc.

Sounds like some of the stuff you are using is 2 generations old as well. Its good news for those selling their old di2 stuff but I just can't see the value in the second hand market right now.

Associate
Tried the wheels on... I'm going to keep it.

Fully swapped over.

Bottom bracket was a faf to work out. Ended up getting an 'as new' hambini bb which feels great. pf30a 24 with a road width, which I think is 91mm, otherwise the Shimano cranks won't fit.

The handlebars could meet the risers better, so it might be something I swap out in the future.

Bike feels great. Not sure I could say I've noticed a difference but it certainly looks fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are loads of people who continue to improve well into their 60s. The only issue is how good you were at each age. If you were elite at age 30 you aren't going to be improving in your 50s. If you were a decent cyclist in your 30s you could 100% be improving in your 60s. You would just need to be far more careful and targeted in your training.

Plenty of old boys out there who retire from working and have plenty of time to get out and ride all of a sudden.

The 10 mile TT record for an over-70 is a short 20

Soldato
Sounds like some of the stuff you are using is 2 generations old as well. Its good news for those selling their old di2 stuff but I just can't see the value in the second hand market right now.
Both my batteries are new. I've not included chainrings and cassettes into my pricing. Can you get a complete Ultegra hydraulic di2 setup for £1400? Only ones I can see seem to be the new 105 - but prices do seem really good on it! R7150 here for £1050 sounds like an amazing deal? This one on CRC sounds almost too good to be true?! Am I reading it right? £440 for an entire groupset?! That sounds an absolute steal! (all I can spot 'wrong' so far is it being 53/46 chainrings, 30t maximum cassette so is short cage and very high geared with 170mm cranks).

But for Ultegra you need to be looking at £1600-1800 and some don't include cranks or batteries. But you're correct I'm using quite a mixture of old (2 generations? No, some of mine is 3 gen and older non-series - barely above the 6770 10 speed!) and new kit across multiple series/generations, the new 12 speed 105 might have been a better option and possibly comparable to the Ultegra I'm running. I chose 11 speed mixture of non-series and Ultegra to made it more cost effective for me - plus there was no 12 speed or hydraulic di2 105 groupset at the time! ;)

The 6870 derailleur is pretty old, but it sits on my Zwift setup. With it costing me £50 easy to scrap it and buy a replacement when needed, but it's almost immaculate, but I did pick through lots to find a tidy one (hint, look for underside pictures as you can tell how grotty the springs get and the corrosion for how much 'weather' they've had). I figured why spend on the indoor setup as at the time had the R8050 already, so just got the cheapest RD I could to get it running so could use the 8050 for my other build (I had 2 of them at one point but when I figured I could sell one for a profit before I'd used either, I did). Beauty of Di2 is it just all plugging together and working regardless of series. When I got 1 new 8050 RD for £135 - current pricing is around £180-220 for them, or £200-300 for a 12 speed. It's massive economy of scale. I sold one R8050 for £240 during lockdown (the first one I'd got & paid £180 for that I had regretted after I picked the other one up, so was happy to!). People got so desperate! :rolleyes:

Once you get your head around di2 cables you'll realise you can save a bunch of money on some components, they're very simple. Literally a 2 core cable. There's nothing to wear out (even on junction boxes) as there's no moving parts. Most are fitted and never unplugged so the ends and connections don't wear or get loose. 'It just works'. Easy to buy S/H for £10-16 a cable, rather then £25-30 for new. I've bought 20 cables now and only a couple of them new (Merlin takeover sale), so it has been easy to save a bunch of money doing it. I've only got 1 scrappy looking one, but it still works (so it's on the FD of the Zwift setup if it ever causes a problem). :cry:

If I only bought new now, I may have a 12 speed di2 setup for the same price, but at the time I started out I really wouldn't have been able to justify the price (I've put the components on an 8-9 year old bike) unless I bought a new bike with it on. Which I may still do this year! I also wouldn't then have 2 setups where I can quite easily swap any components around to troubleshoot/test - as that's why I did it. The Zwift bike mechanical 11 speed groupset went onto my other half's commuter - which needed an almost complete replacement (old 8 speed). So for me my spread of purchasing, 'doing it myself' and figuring it all out putting it together made it affordable, gave me understanding of how it all works, but also enabled me to sort another issue (for the better half) and give me 2 setups. I've now also got 'everything' on 11 speed - making things far simpler maintenance and parts wise!

@Roady

It's that light yes, but the saddle rail mount. I have the saddle post mount like the first one pictured in your link. The other one clamps upper and lower saddle rails and the one I need.
Ahh ok, sorry don't have that mount with mine only the one pictured like you already have.

The connector is very similar to Cateye - unsure if I've tried mine on a Cateye mount to see if it fits but could be worth trying? I imagine a Cateye saddle rail mount is much cheaper and easier to find!

Looks an absolute speed weapon! Nice! :cool:

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
Bit the bullet and got ultegra di2 12 speed. 52/36 and 11-34. Total was £1424. Was £1374 yesterday but I dithered.

Was spending far too much time umming and ahhhing about it and I am sick of messing with gears. Will probably have in all installed in a few weeks as I don't think I have a few things I need to replace/re-install my bb and I might need an adaptor for the battery in the seatpost. Outside of that it should be quite an easy install.

Soldato
Plenty of old boys out there who retire from working and have plenty of time to get out and ride all of a sudden.

The 10 mile TT record for an over-70 is a short 20
I guess this is my point though. At over 70 they're definitely coming down the other side of that bell curve of age/performance, but they could be just starting up their curve of training gains due to new to cycling.

In fact, does the training gains curve start coming down as you start wearing your body out? I know a 62 year old guy that's crazy fast. He's only been cycling for about 7 years. Is he benefitting having not been training hard for 40 years? What will happen to the likes of Evenapol, Van Art, Pogacer as they get into their mid 30's? By all accounts they train very differently to even Geraint T used to... Is it sustainable?

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I guess this is my point though. At over 70 they're definitely coming down the other side of that bell curve of age/performance, but they could be just starting up their curve of training gains due to new to cycling.

The mistake most people make is to think of themselves as good athletes when they were younger. Lets say as a massively oversimplified metric, your w/kg is 3.5 at 30. Thats a decent level of fitness that most cyclists probably never achieve much more than. That person at 60 could easily get a 4w/kg with training. Gains don't come as easily and you have to be more careful with recovery, training load etc but ultimately the average person gets worse as they age because they do less exercise or their general health drops away.

Soldato
What I've noticed from those around me, it is very easy to lose strength or performance through illness or injury and it is very difficult to get it back.

Soldato
but ultimately the average person gets worse as they age because they do less exercise or their general health drops away.
Well, that and ageing means changes in your body. I'm just reading The Midlife Cyclist which goes into good detail (far more than I can fully understand)

He does talk about how he knows many great older cyclists and how cycling is one of the few sports you can extend into later life.

To your point about w/kg, that's kind of my whole point in the first place. I started about 4 years ago and in the first year was about 2.4 w/kg. I've trained (not massively, but some structure and loads of miles) and have got myself to about 3.2-3.4 w/kg. How long can that keep going up before ageing surpasses training (of the level I can commit to) and it starts coming down and would take HARDER training to maintain? Does that make sense? If training remains the same, at the moment my FTP is going up... when will it plateau?

What I've noticed from those around me, it is very easy to lose strength or performance through illness or injury and it is very difficult to get it back.
That's true. Recovery on the whole generally takes longer as you get older... I've felt that playing other sports.

Soldato
Oh random one. Was it you @Lethal` where we talked about Cassette packaging?

Ordered an 11-34 from Condor last week. HG700 (so 105) and it didn't come with any 'retail' type packaging. Plain cassette with a plastic inner holding it together, wrapped in brown paper in a Condor box. It's not even wrapped in plastic! :o
Yes - Shimano have changed their packaging to pure cardboard and generally more beige. Doesn't sound quite like what you got. Mine was in a plastic bag with a cable tie through the middle of the cassette... it did still have the plastic retainer that all the sprockets sit on too. Perhaps Shimano are supplying them OEM like this? Still, I wish websites would make it clear that's what I'm ordering.

Soldato
but that can be overcome quite easily for most people just by actually taking their sport a little more seriously.
Yes... and my point was 'what if you're already taking it as seriously as you can'. As I said, if things remain the same, currently it's still gains, when does age take over and overall performance begins to degrade.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
So you think they'll burn out quicker than the previous generation who are still going in their mid 30's?
More than likely, they'll probably have a similar length career at the top but as they started earlier at that level they'll finish earlier, but part of that will be desire as they'll have achieved much more much sooner.

Associate
Thanks for the luck. I love that video, the swim will be the scary part of it.
I know we are a bit off topic with this but I remember doing my first sprint triathlon and it was the swim that freaked me out the most.. If you get winged with a foot or an elbow just take a breath and try and relax.

i took one right to the nose on my first one so just sat behind last, got out of the water last then did my work on the bike and legs. I hope you enjoy it they are brilliant.

Associate
Labby summer solstice attempt 2 (my boys birthday is tomorrow so i either have to attempt it the day before or the day after). Managed to get up before dawn this year and got in 400km....

I am going to send a detailed diagram of how my rear end is tomorrow morning but ill try and link it, I just did loops again this year.

ffs too tired to figure out how to link it but my strava is martin riggs, picture involves a madone having a pint in a pub garden :cry:

I AM BROKEN..

Associate
Labby summer solstice attempt 2 (my boys birthday is tomorrow so i either have to attempt it the day before or the day after). Managed to get up before dawn this year and got in 400km....

I am going to send a detailed diagram of how my rear end is tomorrow morning but ill try and link it, I just did loops again this year.

ffs too tired to figure out how to link it but my strava is martin riggs, picture involves a madone having a pint in a pub garden :cry:

I AM BROKEN..
Amazing achievement! I am scared about doing metric and imperial centuries, to cover that distance is absolutely epic! Well done!

I have tried to put a link for others, but I do find it sometimes doesn’t work for me.

Back
Top Bottom