Road Cycling

Soldato
Anyone north london or Essex based who has had or can recommend a bike fitter for a friend?
Ben is the best there is

he's always keen for a chat with person looking for a fit so give him a call

He's in Kent, but people travel to him from allover

Soldato
Shouldn't need to add any maps to the Garmin, i can use Garmin Connect for anywhere when i'm traveling :)

On the subject of Garmin, one thing i hate about my 1030 is that when using Navgigation, it only shows me the current route on the screen as a purple line, but doesn't show the other streets in the area. I'll sometimes miss a turning because it's hard to gauge which one it should be. Whereas if it showed all roads, then i could think "of it's the 3rd left"

Is there anyway to turn that on?
done few cycling trips.
a lot depends on where you going in terms of spares.

usually i put new tyres on for the trip so I dont have to take the spares.
There are always bike shops around unless you go to a remote location.

levers, small pump, gels, food, spare tube . so prettty much what you would take with you on a normal ride

cant help with garmin. on wahoo i make sure ive got map loaded and pre planned routes

Soldato
@fez

So you may have had a point about my botch job. Even though i'm sure i measured the old chain against the new one and got it right. Went out for the first ride on Wednesday evening and there was a pretty grim noise in almost all gears. Then hit one point where i kept losing the cog at the bottom of the rear derailleur and getting stuck in the cage. I had to keep refitting it and in the end i could only ride in the smallest 2 cogs which made for an effortful ride home. Luckily was flat!

As such i'm just gonna buy a new chain but now need to work out how to size it properly!

Soldato
Tip-top (&other) patches -
Anyone believe that these may perish as they age, so could be out of date when you purchase them ?
I've had a number of them that have failed in use, most of my punctures (shwalbe inners) 17mm tyres are within a few mm near the central small molding ridge on the inners,
(which I try to remove a bit using razor blade)
several have detached and you see cracks on the patch when you repair inner again, and scrape away the patch/xylene
I usually repair a number of inners and don't immediately inflate them - maybe it is better if you are using the inner immediately though, since probably applying uniform pressure on the patch as it is still curing,
in the environment it will have to work.

Soldato
Anyone who'd cracked/split (like me) or had a Shimano crank arm de-bond then there is a recall/replacement happening!

There's certain model numbers covered and it has to be manufactured before 2019... Again, hope they don't need too much paperwork, mine was an Ebay purchase (from Wiggle's returns dept!) in March 2019 before it split in May this year...!

What's everyone's favourite portable frame mounted pump at the moment? Anyone got one they really like, or just a case of spending £30 on something I'll use around a handful of times and then skip again in 3-4 years?
Anyone? I'd generally always go with Topeak but last one was pretty gash - Roadie DA. Probably go for the similar priced but better rated Pocket Rocket.

I left it and came home. Had another go with my quick link removers and proceeded to snap them in 2. I then accepted defeat, pulled out another chain link and replaced it with another quick link. I know technically you shouldn't use 2, but screw it!
For your situation then totally allowed, far better than binning an almost-new chain!

Yeah, personally I would have said 2 mins was fair play. As @fez says, it's not uncommon a car pass you, then 10 seconds later you're being held up by them. Quite often, in the more urban areas coming back into Barnet, someone will pass then they have to wait due to a parked car and a car coming the other way, when I could have gone through between the two cars. Instead, you generally have to wait behind them.

So, I've not really posted it here, but I received my new Tarmac SL8 on Monday. I've now had two rides on it and can report that I love it!

5hTV17M.jpg

Krk6qMt.jpg

Aside it just being so nice having a near silent bike, for what feels like the first time in two years, it's super comfortable. This was a concern for me. I did wonder if it might be too aggressive for me, but maybe helped by it only being a 56 frame, which I'm sure many would say is too small for me, maybe means I'm not stretched into too aggressive a position?

To me it feels lighter than the Canyon too (I mean, technically it is, but I didn't think I would notice it) and somehow it does feel easier on the climbs. It came with a 30 on the back, which wasn't too bad, but I've put a 34 on to help get my weight up then climbs!

To top it off, it's clearly not as bright and garish as my flame red Canyon, but the matt blue, with a purple hint really does look amazing 'in the flesh'. Plus, pretty much no cables on view at all is kinda cool.
its-so-beautiful-crying-gif.gif

For those using Garmin's out there. I'll create plenty routes before I head out there; will I need to add EU maps or anything like that to my Garmin for it to work properly?
You used to load the maps you wanted and selected by compexity/detail/area (talkytoaster anyone!?) but unsure now. Worth checking.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus 32mm
Marathon are a PITA to mount on most things, they're super hard and tough though. Pretty uninspiring to ride - sluggish, hard and heavy. What is on there at the moment?

New bike day! I’ll post pictures and some info later this week as I won’t be able to ride until Friday.

Do most people use a chain catcher? Have worries of dropping the chain and scratching the frame.
Pics!

SRAM eTap/AXS? Probably need to... I've a friend who rides his eTap on Zwift weekly TTT and probably 1/10 he drops his chain :D

Shimano here. Only dropped mine probably 3-4 times in 10 years and only damaged frame paintwork with it once so never bothered. Maybe if I spent crazy money on a bike (like an SL8) I would! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Marathon are a PITA to mount on most things, they're super hard and tough though. Pretty uninspiring to ride - sluggish, hard and heavy. What is on there at the moment?
;)

No idea what they are, but cheap ones that came with a cheap bike. Its a heavy steel bike that I rarely use for more then 2 miles at a time so not going to be worried about cycling dynamics, got my Canyon for that. Fitting them might be interesting though, I generally suck at anything that needs hand strength.

Associate
@fez

So you may have had a point about my botch job. Even though i'm sure i measured the old chain against the new one and got it right. Went out for the first ride on Wednesday evening and there was a pretty grim noise in almost all gears. Then hit one point where i kept losing the cog at the bottom of the rear derailleur and getting stuck in the cage. I had to keep refitting it and in the end i could only ride in the smallest 2 cogs which made for an effortful ride home. Luckily was flat!

As such i'm just gonna buy a new chain but now need to work out how to size it properly!
Check you've not ran the chain outside the guard in the top jockey wheel, in your rear derailleur.
It can be hard to see but if you put your ear close to it as you turn the chain, you'll hear if it's coming from there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think at the start of the year I was talking about what targets I could set myself given that mileage wasn't a good one any more. Today I had an idea... climbs! At the start of the year I'd only done 7 of the 'Top 100'. This year I will set myself a target of completing 10 more. I did Box Hill a few weeks ago and I'm hoping to head into Wales tomorrow and tick off a couple more. I have another route planned with two more, but I might leave them to my next visit (I'm at my mum's near Wales for a few days)

Not only does this give me a target, but it will encourage me to travel to ride new places, which I enjoy doing. I want to get to the Surrey hills and also Cheddar Gorge at somet point this year.
I did #83 Kirkstone Pass yesterday, which was harder than I thought it might be, so I thought I'd take stock of my target for the year. I don't think I'm going to make it unless I include Spanish Top 100 climbs too. This year, 5 new in the UK, 3 new in Spain. Annoyingly I had maybe 3 lined up in a trip, but then my freehub fell to bits. I can maybe do that trip again as we head into winter.

Soldato
So I posted in here a week or two ago saying I'd joined a cycling club and I was putting in way more miles etc. etc. This morning on my walk I was thinking to myself 'Do I need to get a winter bike..?' and then I turn up to our club ride this morning (still pretty much dry and sunny) and 3 people are now on winter bikes. I've looked at my bike (Planet X Pro Carbon) an there's no way to mount any mudguards, plus I was thinking it would allow me to protect the groupset (SRAM Rival 22) if I did buy a winter bike... So.. I guess I'll be buying a winter bike, despite saying 18 months ago when I bought my nice.. 'Summer?' bike that I absolutely wouldn't have two bikes.

Just something basic, aluminium with mounting points, wider tyres and disc brakes. Maybe £300-£400 and second hand is fine. Last night I was on youtube and there's a Triban RC120 which ticks all of these boxes for £400, to be honest.

I also thought about maybe having a gravel bike as this second 'winter' bike? So that if in the summer I wanted to cycle off road I could do? What do we think about this?

Soldato
get gravel.

gives you more options for future

can get decent ones of for not much money.

until i got gravel, my main bike was bike for whole year.

Would it be sorta 'usable' for Winter road-riding too? We often only average around 16 mph, but if I were to get one with a single gear at the front, and a big cassette at the back, that would be alright?

Soldato
Would it be sorta 'usable' for Winter road-riding too? We often only average around 16 mph, but if I were to get one with a single gear at the front, and a big cassette at the back, that would be alright?
ofc

i have 1x on mine. used daily for commute, and gravel on weekends

basic versions of gravels will have cheaper groupsets that are 2x

got mudguards as well on it .

Soldato
wiggle has some good deals, although some out of stock so worth keep an eye

Even those are more than I'd be planning to spend. Literally looking at spending maybe £400 max (which would perfectly cover a new Triban RC120 Disc, think their cheapest gravel bike is £500)

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone who'd cracked/split (like me) or had a Shimano crank arm de-bond then there is a recall/replacement happening!

There's certain model numbers covered and it has to be manufactured before 2019... Again, hope they don't need too much paperwork, mine was an Ebay purchase (from Wiggle's returns dept!) in March 2019 before it split in May this year...!

I know of a shimano crank recall from 1996 or 7 that is still being honoured. Last heard of someone getting one replaced last year - that particular one you just need to find a shop that remembers it.

Back in-period I had one and just turning up at my nearest bike shop (not the one i'd got the bike from) and showing them the crank got it replaced, so I'd assume similar will be true of this. Shimano will even credit the shop for labour to change it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom