Road Cycling

Associate
Used cycleplan in the past and currently with wiggle, just renewed as they didn't increase the price even though i added a new wheelset as well. Both of them wanted a gold standard lock used and proof that its attached to an imoveable object when its stored.

Soldato
Boy thats a lot of money for bike insurance
but insurance to cover crash damage is rather expensive on a £5k bike.
Maybe your second point covers the first? :p (And one of the bikes is more than £5k too)

I'm not as worried about it being stolen from home, but there are rare occasions it might be left out of sight. Normally I will know this could happen and will take the lock with me.

Both of them wanted a gold standard lock used and proof that its attached to an imoveable object when its stored.
That's interesting. How about when you're out and about? I wonder how you would prove it had the lock on or they would prove it didn't?

Soldato
ijoRDgY.jpg

Hit a pot hole on the way in this morning and cracked my carbon rim... Typical the only day I can't get a lift home, going to see if I can pack it with something and put a tube in to get home. We're getting our drive repaired at work and contractor dug out more than when I left yesterday, while also not putting cones around half of the damn holes... Lots of rain this morning so everything full of water... Usual place there is a puddle but no hole, there is a crevasse. BANG! That'll teach me! :rolleyes:

But company covering it as bunch of people complained about hitting them in their cars too! But wow these wheels are now £450, I'm sure I only paid around 320 for it 2 years ago but it was on a cracking(!) deal. Now they're all sold out for anything much below 450.

Anyone spots a Zipp 303 S rear in stock (doesn't matter about freehub) for less than £450 let me know. Can only see them on Tweeks & Fawkes at the moment.

Found wahoo support amazing, either i am unlucky and am getting bad items that just managed to squeeze though their QA, or they need some more real world testing. i brought a kickr core refurb and had two different issues which they replaced the devices and were happy to cross ship the replacement. After the 3rd issue the replacement was a factory new one. My tickr i sent back after 18 months as it wouldn't power on at all even after trying 2 brand new replacement bateries. The replacement device has been fine so far but strap failed after a month one of the connectors popped out of the plastic housing, instead of sending a replacement strap they have just sent a whole new tickr
Yeah, absolutely amazing. 20 month old device, emailed with a response in 17 hours, 3 emails within 24 hours and my replacement arrived the next day. So within 3 days of contacting them I had my replacement which I didn't even expect to get!

I'd be tempted to start from fresh and give the tyres and rims a good cleanup.

If you do just top up then get some Stans sealing in a 2oz bottle. The end of the bottle can go into the valve core hole without you needing a syringe. You will also need a valve core remover too ofc.
Good pointer about buying the bottles to size if you're not doing this very frequently - it's a pain/fiddle to measure out without syringes and such. But it is an expensive way to buy sealant if you intend to continue doing it yourself worth investing in the tools & knowledge to do it - while also able to then buy sealant in bigger quantities to save some money (but lets be honest, apart from air, sealant is one of the cheapest regaular maintanance things we're buying!)

I got my bike through cycle to work last year its this : https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/contend-ar-1-2021
I know my local shop will let us use vouchers for upgrades or other 'stuff' they sell if we want to
Is there anything on the bike linked that is kinda sub standard?
It's a quality alloy frame. I got a rim brake one as a warranty replacement for a Defy 1 2015 2 winters ago. Although mine was a bare frame, there's nothing 'bad' about that specification and setup. Although I can't comment on the Giant wheels it came with, the lower end ones like it from Giant have never been that good. The 'PR2' on my 2015 rim brake got replaced within 3 years. Some cheap £120 wheels where miles ahead in quality and robustness than them. So I'd probably point you there as the best upgrade alongside maybe the saddle.

Turns out i've missed some of the routing after the top cog of the rear derailleur and fed it through after a metal bar so it catches.
Take a look at the RD where the metal tag is - if it's the one on a 'side plate' you may find that unscrews (with an allen) to take the pulley & guide wheels off the derailleur. Although generally one of those side plates is fixed to the derailleur, the other isn't, so if that one has the tag on it, undoing the hexes on 1 or both pulleys will mean the plate can be moved enough to fish the chain to the right side of it without re-breaking the chain/link. YMMV & make note of roughly how tight the hex's are, the routing of the chain and the direction of them. Some are direction specific.

Good day chasing the Tour of Britain from Southend today. Never done so few miles in such a long time with ll the waiting around 39 miles in 5 hours but got to see them go past 4 times.
Awesome! Hope you got loads of pics! Typical we went away for the weekend - from Hereford to near Ipswitch on the Friday afternoon, so opposite way to catch anything! Saw a couple of vehicles with bikes on the roof going the opposite way on the A14... My social club rode out on the saturday to see the start in Tewkesbury & enjoyed themselves!

Route literally goes a mile past my house. We’re heading over to Tewkesbury to catch the start and maybe the return.

I’m hoping my KOMs along the route still stand after tomorrow!! :p
Would doubt most 'normal' peoples KOM's where safe - but know yours would be pretty good ones! How many did you lose and how do you measure up to the Pro peloton?! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Take a look at the RD where the metal tag is - if it's the one on a 'side plate' you may find that unscrews (with an allen) to take the pulley & guide wheels off the derailleur. Although generally one of those side plates is fixed to the derailleur, the other isn't, so if that one has the tag on it, undoing the hexes on 1 or both pulleys will mean the plate can be moved enough to fish the chain to the right side of it without re-breaking the chain/link. YMMV & make note of roughly how tight the hex's are, the routing of the chain and the direction of them. Some are direction specific.

Cheers, however after breaking 2 pieces of wire/string trying that tactic, i ordered this, seemed handle enough to have some tyre levers and means i can stick some quick links in the saddle bag and hoepfully be safe to reattach a chain in the future

Soldato
Back from the London to Paris ride and it went surprisingly well considering the state of my colleagues on Day 1! We managed to do around 100km per day over the 3 days and mostly stuck to the Avenue Verte which was a very nice route (until it gets to Paris and then goes a bit weird)

The only mechanical mishap we had across 4 bikes was a slow puncture on my front wheel on the last day as we were riding into Paris which is pretty incredible!

Soldato
Felt pretty good when i first saw it but then I started to notice a few things like their heart rates and the fact when I watched them go by they were basically just chilling :cry:
Haha yeah, but that is also the power and speed of the draft in a massive peloton! Fair play for still being up there in 4th though mate! :D

Cheers, however after breaking 2 pieces of wire/string trying that tactic, i ordered this, seemed handle enough to have some tyre levers and means i can stick some quick links in the saddle bag and hoepfully be safe to reattach a chain in the future

Seems an expensive way of buying a better quality set of tyre levers (seriously I love these and really rate them, have only broken 1 in 10 years) and a tool... But neat idea. Can't say I've had to use a chain pliers when out, few times it was a broken quick link I used my usual chain tool to break it (as I would any broken chain) to then fit another link. But considering the cost of the links themselves if you're buying them not too bad... Do a test run before you need to use them outside in the wet/wind/cold/mud!

Associate
Haha yeah, but that is also the power and speed of the draft in a massive peloton! Fair play for still being up there in 4th though mate! :D
thanks mate, its a very busy bit of road so not many are willing to ride down it. It's flat as pancakes round this way so it also gets ridden by all the TT riders so that's just a screen from the year not all time.

I am going after it but I will need the wind in my favour, hurricane type wind :D

Soldato
Only lost two KOMs on the route around Bishops Cleeve.
They absolutely smashed the locals KOMs up Cleeve and Sudeley hills. We have no chance of getting anywhere near that again, and they went in the other direction a few years ago. So Cleeve hill is a pro only hill now lol.

An 8 min segment I had (on my TT bike in fairness), they took a minute out of. Went from 1st to 67th :(

Soldato
Wheel bodged enough to ride home. Rolled up bit of plastic against the rim wall and a tube in at around 30 PSI. Found out the old floor pump I stashed at work is dead/useless (leaking air from the body) and the little portable I've been using the last few years (loose sense 'using' as have hardly needed it) seems to be gummed up. Neat idea but bad design.

What's everyone's favourite portable frame mounted pump at the moment? Anyone got one they really like, or just a case of spending £30 on something I'll use around a handful of times and then skip again in 3-4 years?

Don’t forget when measuring up against the old chain it would have stretched depending on use it had had.
Yes, but also that can be a really filthy job - with your new clean chain usually lay alongside it on a dirty dusty floor.

Almost better to 'count the links' in some cases. Most of us can competently count to <118.

Ended up with this on the back tire, went out and could feel the road more than usual.... sealant was up the back of the bike. Got a new tire fitted at the shop so they sorted the sealant as part of that. £8 i didn't think was to bad for labour and £49 for the tire, £4 for the sealant.
Tyre was likely overpriced, but £12 doesn't sound too bad for the mess/hassle of someone else doing it!

On my spare/commuter at the moment. I can't remember if I posted, but in investigating the creak, LBS found my carbon frame is damaged on the chainstay. Apparently not uncommon, the chain jumps off inside and gets jammed up there, taking some carbon off. I've probably not done that for 5 to 10 months, but they said they wouldn't advise riding it like it is.
Oh crikey! Well within a carbon repair (@SoliD)- especially as it's obviously strong as you've been riding it like that unaware and a chainstay is a high stress place. Especially as you say insurance won't cover it.

With a carbon repair from a reputable place they'll be able to warranty it. Could give you your winter bike you've been talking about (or did you sort?). Or at the very least, keep the frame unrepaired for turbo use. Bit of a pain if it does break, but not going to be life threatening with it stationary.

So I'm more off an aspiring runner rather than cyclist but do enjoy a good ride out on the bike from time to time. I find that my legs on steep hills seem to loose power really quick, so i can be in maybe hardest hear on the back cog and within a short distance end up on the easiest. What's the quickest way to build muscle up to make it easier? Putting more and more miles in or something exercise i can do at home?
As mentioned - technique. Spin away easy and pace it, you'll gradually get stronger but it's not really muscle. More technique and 'conditioning' as the muscles used in a certain way which is quite different to running/other things.

A good think to practice for steeper stuff is to get used to being out of the saddle. You don't really have to pedal 'harder' when doing it, but with the lower cadence and weight over the front wheel at those slow speeds you will feel more stable. There's some of the steep things I ride where I physically can't hold the low cadence required seated and keep the front wheel down. I have to stand for the weight distribution, if anything pacing my 'stood time' just as much as the sustained power in that position. Usually (also why I'm riding a very low setup by choice) so I can ride a really low cadence at lower effort. Winching myself up things!

Lycra lads and ladies, what's the general consensus on how to ride in a group?

I always thought it was meant to be two abreast, gap behind for two cars, two abreads, gap etc... or is that wrong? Some right plonkers around today riding in a chain of 4 on narrow roads for mile after mile with no awareness of the giant queue forming behind.
Meant to, yes. The highway code kinda says in groups to do it or when with less experienced riders to 'shield' them, but moving to single file to allow cars to overtake when safe to do so. But in practice with a small group of 4 riders - which should be easy to pass even 'riding in a chain', quite unusual for cars to get stuck behind them for any long period. Probably get more abuse for riding 2 abreast like that to be honest. Bigger groups it seems more understood.

The fact they where in a chain of 4, by the highway code they deemed it safe for cars to overtake them, where not riding to prevent overtaking. How would you advise the plonkers to ride to make it easier to overtake safely?

Interested in peoples views on current levels of road rage, anti cyclist sentiment and aggressive driving.
Actual driving doesn't seem overly 'worse', number of close passes I'd consider close (so probably less than 50% of the 'letter of the law' close passes) around the same as the last decade. But more abuse on the roads definitely, far more horns and shouting for no apparent extra reasons. Tends to mostly be on the weekends on busier A roads in lower speed situations (village/towns) than on the open road.

So, current home insurance won't cover the new bike, so I'd better get specific bike insurance. Go Compare is recommending 'Cycle Eversure' and 'Cycleplan'. Does anyone have any experience of these two? Or, any specific recommendations?
Ask your home provider what additional covers they would do to bolt the bike alongside your home stuffs. Might be surprised - but also expect you to have asked them already :)

I'm far more likely to write off the bike actually riding it and in that case it will either be the drivers fault or far less likely my own but insurance to cover crash damage is rather expensive on a £5k bike.
Also my thinking and why I'm (probably) currently under valuing mine without too much concern. Depreciation and actual cost savings from years of commuting far out balances the premiums required to totally replace/cover.

To be fair, if I crash it and it's my fault (like me wrecking a £400 wheel earlier, when I could be riding a £150 wheel) is all part of it. The insurance in my mind is more to cover some scroat nicking it.

I am going after it but I will need the wind in my favour, hurricane type wind :D
Recommended. To be fair my local commute KOM only comes from a GPS 'burp' where my head unit flagged and shot me through the segment catching up with itself! ;)

Associate
That's interesting. How about when you're out and about? I wonder how you would prove it had the lock on or they would prove it didn't?
Its weird if your doing a triathlon and your bike is in the tranisation zone, its fine to be unsupervised and not secured to anything. If you leave it in the car they expect it to be attached to it in some way. I have a couple of those zip locks where im stopping at the cafe or shop, i mean im sure a resonable cable cutter would get though them in a few seconds, but if there was a choice of a bike balancing on the rack at the cafe stop with one of these and one without they would go for the one without.

Soldato
CT scan today for pelvis and leg length to look for differences in how the hip may operate, impingement, retroversion, lld femur/tibia etc. Hardly any difference in any of it and surprisingly healthy looking. Will await blown up images with more accurate mm measurements. Minor pelvic tilt likely from muscle imbalance.

The biggest conclusion I can so far draw from asymmetry on the bike is therefore down to a minor foot size difference between left and right and the default angle that the feet want to rest in as per walking not being symmetrical. It would appear that setting your cleats in your natural foot resting position is terrible advice found common in the cycling community. The major caveat to this is of course if your feet rest in that position as a result of injury, hip joint function such as impingement (any type) or other structural reason. Mine would appear to be partly muscle related and for balance reasons on the smaller foot which is irrelevant on the bike in terms of toe in/out. People possibly give this advice in case of a structural issue, but without knowing this through scans it would appear terrible advice. In opening up the hip angle of one side more than the other you will create imbalance through your entire body which is likely what has happened to myself. The list of the imbalances this creates is almost endless if your talking about structure and muscle. In my case, it would also appear to create a functional lld. The other interesting thing about foot position on the pedal that I hardly see any mention of is the foot position in the shoe itself. This will also effect hip position and imbalance if you have two slightly different sized feet which is common as a result of the feet not being quite in the same place in the shoe even if the cleats are setup identically and your shoes are in exactly the same place on the pedals. Sadly the systems we have in place now to look at all of this are incredibly crude if you're seeking being as close as possible to symmetrical. Some full body x-ray type scan whilst in motion on the bike with a healthy dose of ai in the future will no doubt address this. It's also a complete can of worms in that all the setup ignores brain function, natural likely pattern of right hip drop from imperceivable to savage from what is only partially understood/guesswork and this is without going into lungs, upper body weighting asymmetry etc.

TDLR version: It's incredibly difficult to walk, jog, run, cycle or do just about any physical motion perfectly symmetrically and if you do it for long enough not close to perfectly and outside of an acceptable range (quite small), you will get injury or problems through imbalance.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm not the 'original owner' so don't have a receipt! Seller on the 'bay which was a bike shop but no real receipt for it for them to work warranty through (which they are picky about - been through it before with my other wheelset)...

Anyone else see that Mantel don't ship any orders to the UK over £135 'due to the Brexit'?!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ask your home provider what additional covers they would do to bolt the bike alongside your home stuffs. Might be surprised - but also expect you to have asked them already :)
Quite honestly the lady I was speaking to was an idiot. Sounds harsh, but she was so confusing, kept changing her answers etc.

Just a quick example -

Her: "You're individually priced items can't be more than a third of the total insured contents cover" (This in itself took about 10 minutes for her to tell me why it kept failing to offer me a price)
Me: "Okay, let's up the total contents cover to £35k to see what the quote is"
Her: "Have you got 35k of items in your home?"
Me: "What?"
Her: "You can't lie on the form..."
Me: "..."

There was lots more. I ended up just asking her to set my policy to not renew...

Soldato
I'm not the 'original owner' so don't have a receipt! Seller on the 'bay which was a bike shop but no real receipt for it for them to work warranty through (which they are picky about - been through it before with my other wheelset)...

Anyone else see that Mantel don't ship any orders to the UK over £135 'due to the Brexit'?!

Are there any other owners of these wheels on here that would help a brother out?

Worth trying with Zipp anyway as well, you dont ask you dont get!

Back
Top Bottom