Road Cycling

Soldato
Random thought. My dad has a very old Focus hybrid bike. It's got V-brakes, a 3x8 Tiagra groupset and is generally in a terrible state.

Is there a world where there's any point to tidying it up, replacing the groupset (presumably more modern rim brakes would fit), changing tyres etc. I'm not really sure what i'd use it for. The rim brakes/frame limit tyre size to be able to turn it into a decent gravel bike. I've then already got a decent Hardtail mtb so no point of trying it for off road.

All i could think would be a comfortable bike for trips to the pub with the wife. An mid ground where i can use flat pedals without changing things over, but also without having 60mm MTB tyres and suspension which make everything harder! I then think that if i wanted to go that route i could probably buy a better frame for €100 and end up with something better anyway.

Just seems a shame to just throw it away, but in current condition i'm not sure anyone wants it.

Soldato
The biggest part that scares me when I watch people build bikes (love TraceVelo building cheap AliExpress bikes) is cutting the steerer tube. I'd 10000% measure once, cut once and cry :(

This is so far away into the future that really I shouldn't be paying it any attention but I do love window shopping lol.

I wussed out on that part and just use loads of spacers both above and below!

I enjoy Trace Velos content, but his personality/expressions annoy me so i very rarely watch a full video!

Caporegime
you could just get a shop to cut the tube for you.

do you not have any like community workshops via a bike charity near you or something?
They probably aren't used to seeing expensive bikes but still..

Free workspace, free tools, a cafe and advice on tap, donate some old bike bits and I'm sure they're happy with you building a bike there.

assuming something like that exists near you.

Last edited:
Soldato
He definitely strikes me as the type of person to describe himself as a 'random personality'. Quirky for sure. I just enjoying seeing someone make pretty cool looking bikes for a fraction of a cost. I get bored of feeling poor when I watch GCN bits and they're talking about £10-£15k superbikes.

More I think about it, I only really watch Cade Media, TraceVelo and Safa Brian these days.

Soldato
I had done general bike maintenance before but never a full build. I wouldn't say it was particularly difficult. Simpler in many ways than trying to diagnose an issue with your bike.
Definately more stragiht forward. Lots of instructions and videos/guidance etc! Much easier than 'WTF happened here' or 'why is that doing that' :D

Any good helmet recommendations? I have the cheapest that was available at Halfords during lockdown so looking to upgrade. It looks like MIPs is quite common, though see lots of Kask helmets aswell. Is there any real difference or is it just choose a style and price point? Also, which colour makes me faster?
Try some in a shop, especially if you're not 'normal'. I've got a large head and even some L brands don't go big enough. Even then found Kask the wrong shape. Specialized and Giro fit me well, happy to recommend either of them as have had multiples of.

And red. Always red to go faster. :D

Does anyone else think the MIPS thing is a bit of a con? I believe it's about the helmet having some movement when you crash... how tight do they think people have their helmets on!?
Maybe. I get the concept and it's a neat, applicable and accurate development of helmet evolution. So I get why helmets are getting designed with it in. I don't get why it means they cost £150 more than the same version without. If they're better, just make it the norm.

I do think I need to grab some carbon paste though as it has shifted a little bit. It didn’t come with torque settings but I went to just under 6 and it seems ok
Torque it up more. Play the guessing game. If it breaks get another one! I mean that's why you bought a cheap knockoff isn't it? To buy more of them when they break? Or was it for the excitement and extra risk of just not knowing! :D ;)

Pray for me, gents. Going to attempt Ven-Top. If I quit I quit, just wanna give it half an attempt at least
Well done, such a brute of a climb. I'm still planning on a vcingles at some point. 3 Ascents in 1 activity!

Got numerous and tbh as long as it fits your head and you like the look of it, wouldn't worry too much.
This!

They were half-price on Sigma, down to £200, so they're not super light or anything, but in some ways I just wanted some spare wheels and, lower profile for the windy days, so these seemed to fit the bill for now. I might splash out on some decent light, low profile, assuming I can swap them between 11-speed Shimano and 12-speed Shimano?
Linky? as your creak gone with them?

Need to get some cheapy rim brake wheels soon for the other halfs commuter. She's killed the brake track on the 3rd set and I've got none of my old ones left! :rolleyes:

I'm tasked with fixing one of my sons bikes.

He fell off and somehow smashed his rear derailleur up some months ago.
JlGhjgF.jpeg

It's just some Sora crap I picked up a new chain and Derailleur from helllfords and ordered a new hanger from ebay.

I've never done more than index gears , and adjust limit screws. on my own bikes.

Can I align it properly by eye? since it's a brand new hanger, I don't need one of those hanger alignment tools for straightening it?
Try bending it back by hand - what's the worst which can happen when you've a new one and a new RD! Spares! I've have got them somewhere cheaper than halfrauds.

Should be able to get it straight enough by eye to get 8 speed Sora working. RD does look like it's probably ok too, likely just the hanger would snap before damaging the RD.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I thought I was just getting back in to cycling with just some indoor Zwift training to get my fitness up, but after having my bike serviced back to full health, I've really got the itch to go back out on to the roads again.

My Triban 540 was still in fantastic condition, other than needing a new chain, and not a mark on it still so although it's a bit of a step down from what I was riding before I stopped, I know it's still a lot of fun to ride given I did nearly 3k miles on it before I upgraded. Got a Elemnt Bolt v2 coming tomorrow, found all my Rapha gear under the bed that I thought I'd thrown away (might be a bit more snug fitting these days :D ) so I'm good to go, excited to get back to it

What lights do people recommend these days? Not after anything fancy as I'll not be riding in the pitch black, just good enough to be seen clearly

EDIT - Just seen the thread a couple down from this, will get a set of those

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe Exposure lights are the flavour of choice in here but they're not cheap.
I use a Canyon light up front and a garmin one on the back

I'm still a few weeks/months away from venturing outside yet. Totally a fair weather guy.

Last edited:
Associate
Fitted the new saddle and it looks nice, and only ridden an hour on the turbo but feels better being slightly narrower. Im a fair weather guy after having an off in the wet and fracturing my hip. Curently Lezyne zecto drive lights as i needed something quick and its all i could find in halfords, id like something brighter so once these are done exposure are at the top of my list as they seem to get really good reviews and from reading they seem to look after you.

IMG-7989-Copy.jpg

Caporegime
Try bending it back by hand - what's the worst which can happen when you've a new one and a new RD! Spares! I've have got them somewhere cheaper than halfrauds.

Should be able to get it straight enough by eye to get 8 speed Sora working. RD does look like it's probably ok too, likely just the hanger would snap before damaging the RD.
I already replaced it in the last hour.

the hardest part was cleaning the bike, with my own 105 drive train it seems finicky as hell to get it indexed and setup correctly.... arent the higher end ones supposed to have less slop and higher tolerances....

Are we literally spending money for the quieter shifting only

Last edited:
Soldato
Fitted the new saddle and it looks nice, and only ridden an hour on the turbo but feels better being slightly narrower. Im a fair weather guy after having an off in the wet and fracturing my hip. Curently Lezyne zecto drive lights as i needed something quick and its all i could find in halfords, id like something brighter so once these are done exposure are at the top of my list as they seem to get really good reviews and from reading they seem to look after you.

IMG-7989-Copy.jpg
Got the link to the one you bought? Wonder how much narrower it is than mine

Though I quite like mine so maybe I should just leave it be haha.

Associate
@Junglist This was the one i got the RYET Carbon 3D Printed Bike Saddle Ultralight Road i've put both the uk and spanish aliexpress links as on the spanish one its cheaper £37.15 instead of £41.23 UK Version Spanish version Only one thing to note which i didnt notice when i first ordered it is the rails are 7x9mm so i had to get a different clamp for my Trek as it came with a 7x7mm clamp. I measuered mine and it matches the spec 144mm wide and 255mm long, weight wise my scales says 157g but they say 156g +/- 10g

Soldato
Ah it is actually a similar size then! The cut out is different in the middle compared to mine.

Really impressed with it though. that 3 hours I did on Saturday wasn't even uncomfortable on my bum. I know it sounds painfully obvious but I didn't realise how stiff carbon saddles are. Instantly noticeable. Will be interesting to see what they're like out on the roads.

Soldato
Worth pointing out that if there's a saving, then a LBS/mechanic is likely only going to cost £100 to build it up for you if you wanted a blend between buying parts but not building it yourself.
Wow £100 seems cheap, or is that just me?! Last time I asked my LBS quoted 150-175 for a bare frame road bike build 'depending on parts' for generally 'at least 2-3 hours workshop time' if all parts supplied by me (and that's me likely getting a deal). Various talks around if they supplied the frame and groupset and suddenly that cost becoming zero. But they are a chain of stores generally building & shifting a lot of bikes so might be priced up for 'hassle factor' of stuff they're not supplying and using all the time.

They still have a 2+ week waiting list for service but have dropped a couple of sales staff as they're not shifting bikes. Meanwhile 2 other LBS have gone out of business/finished up in the last year or two - one of them (Veloshop) was a very popular one for high end road bikes!

Random thought. My dad has a very old Focus hybrid bike. It's got V-brakes, a 3x8 Tiagra groupset and is generally in a terrible state.

Is there a world where there's any point to tidying it up,
Yes. Pub/cafe bike! Even better if you don't replace the groupset and get it rideable - less appealing to thieves! But again as you're no spanner monkey to tinker and make that affordable, flog it as is with nothing done to it, should get 150-200 for it.

Ooh turbo bike is a great shout. Especially as a future turbo bike would likely include the Zwift hub so no need to worry about groupsets/gear shifter issues.
Zwift hub is no longer available. Zwift have discontinued them and pretty much exited the hardware trainer market with their 'Cog' designed to go onto the Wahoo KICKR Core as their only 'trainer' product left.

Well I thought I was just getting back in to cycling with just some indoor Zwift training to get my fitness up, but after having my bike serviced back to full health, I've really got the itch to go back out on to the roads again.
Do it! And good to have you back!

Alternative to Lezyne is Cateye - good budget friendly and reliable. Let us know if you need any particular pointers. But for probably £50-60 you should be able to get ok quality basic front and rear 'be seen' lights. Nothing amazing for riding in the dark with, but more than enough for you to ride with when things are getting gloomy to make yourself clearly visible.

IMG-7989-Copy.jpg
I'm getting more and more tempted as that does look AWESOME... Got a direct link to yours @Junglist ? I'm firmly in the 'going to try it and see' compared to my genuine couple of Specialized Powers I'm riding, but I fancy the mirror seeing if it allows me some relief for over 2+ hours on the turbo without selling a kidney for the genuine one to find it makes no difference - or is even worse! ;)

I already replaced it in the last hour.

the hardest part was cleaning the bike, with my own 105 drive train it seems finicky as hell to get it indexed and setup correctly.... arent the higher end ones supposed to have less slop and higher tolerances....

Are we literally spending money for the quieter shifting only
No spending money for lots of other reasons... I wouldn't say the higher ones have 'less slop' (as they're all good and down to how well adjusted you have them indexed) but certainly the less cogs on your cassette the wider the tolerances are and the 'easier' things get as there's just more physical room for indexing to be 'ok but not perfect'. The more gears you have the tighter things have to be...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom