road rule changes 2022

Soldato
I gotta tell you I wouldn't have left a main road into a fully separated layby either. That's ditching all momentum and coming to a full stop to reassess the road before rejoining it.

They wouldn't need to stop, merely pull to the left for a few seconds and let the other road users pass, no loss of momentum or inconvenience to anyone but a cyclist doesn't see things that way clearly, they want it all their way with vehicles giving safe space when passing but won't work with other road users.

Depending what the road is, I would be more worried about the rejoining bit. It's quite hard to get a good, proper look at what is actually going on behind. Sure, pull aside, slow down and into the layby... then get hit be the second person coming through as you rejoin the road...

On a country lane where I can get a good look behind, its only a car and I can see nothing else behind is a little different.

Often I prefer to keep as left as I can and just be as steady as I can. As long as I'm not acting unpredictably, not being funny, it is the car behinds problem to deal with. If me trying to deal with it endangers my life, the person behind is in a better position to act.

Soldato
All too many have a screw you I'm entitled to be here attitude without any consideration for faster moving road users.

Thats a bit rich coming from a lorry driver! The screw everyone else, Im entitled to overtake that other lorry doing 0.5mph slower than I am so causing a back up of traffic for several miles, or Im so large I dont care about cutting people up on the middle lane, or tailgating. This is why road users get frustrated and accidents happen.

Soldato
Tractors round here (and there are loads as live 6 miles or so away from a grass processing plant) never really a problem - I can only guess how hard/stressful it is to be the driver of one

What's sometimes very dangerous round here is those oil filling tankers - IMO should only ever be 2 person jobs - as I have seen 2 ridiculous instances - one parked on a country 60mph road in way couldn't see around and the other on a tight 60mph corner - other than waiting for an hour or whatever the only way to get around is to creep round

Why they are not mandated to be one doing the filling one watching traffic I don't know

Often it seems do-able for them to park in people's drives - often seems plenty enough space I only guess would take more time ?

My sister's old house had gas delivered by tanker. Country lane with nowhere for the truck to go as tank was at the far end of her garden away from the house (and driveway). 45-50mins start to finish to resupply her & there was no set schedule as the tank had a "smart ordering" system. Nearest neighbour had mains supply but Transco or whatever it is now wanted near 15k to run a 50yrd pipe to the house.

I gotta tell you I wouldn't have left a main road into a fully separated layby either. That's ditching all momentum and coming to a full stop to reassess the road before rejoining it.

Cyclists are other people trying to get somewhere on their schedule :p

Book a webcam meeting with your local MP and describe why the roads suck for cyclists instead of thinking the roads are fine if only cyclists didn't use them.

If you're coming to a full stop to assess rejoining a road from a layby then you should consider improving your roadcraft.

The poster's point says more about the attitude of a majority of cyclists, those that clamour about other road users being considerate to them when they refuse to show the same consideration. THAT is why so many dislike cyclists, their hypocritical behaviour, demanding everyone c̶u̶r̶t̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ share the road but are unwilling to actual do it themselves. The only time a vast number of cyclist care about the highway code and laws of the road are when they're using them to bash other road users.

Soldato
If you're coming to a full stop to assess rejoining a road from a layby then you should consider improving your roadcraft.

No, I'm good with what I replied to, there are many kinds of laybys and implementations and you're pitching a far more flawed idea which makes me question your roadcraft.

The poster's point says more about the attitude of a majority of cyclists, those that clamour about other road users being considerate to them when they refuse to show the same consideration. THAT is why so many dislike cyclists, their hypocritical behaviour, demanding everyone c̶u̶r̶t̶a̶i̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ share the road but are unwilling to actual do it themselves. The only time a vast number of cyclist care about the highway code and laws of the road are when they're using them to bash other road users.

The consideration in question was telepathically willing the two road users in front to get off the road and out of the way :cry:

Sitting behind another road user isn't any special consideration at all. If it's not safe to overtake it's not safe to overtake.

Soldato
My concern with the change in Junction is unlit roads or some people wearing no hi-vis at all particularly in Winter nights where are conditions are worse. Also parents with children, whereas before we always make sure our children stop, look and listen now a small minority will not do this at junctions and run in front of car at the last minute. It just smells of money making scheme for insurance claims and no win no fee against drivers to increase premiums. I think the main issue with the Junctions is that drivers will now wait for people to cross, but they are waiting for the driver to go. Now cyclist basically get the whole road "even though they don't pay road tax" cause more pollution due to the traffic, more accidents and road rage. Whoever thought these changes are anti car.

Soldato

This is a prime example of the level of intelligence of the average driver. Cyclists moan about other road users being considerate to them because it is the difference between risk to life and safety, your moan is a about small delay in time, THEY ARE NOT IN ANY WAY EQUIVALENT, but thick drivers like to think it is. Its ridiculous that it even needs explaining

As a side note, I always stop and let lorries and busses past when Im cycling up hills as I know what a hassle it is for them to get back up to speed, cars not so much unless its a narrow up hill lane

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had a fun one the other day - was a good thing the road was wide open ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGpR1eYamB0

The car driver never did more than half the speed limit at any point and the cyclist sped up to almost match their speed putting me in a quite bad position as the gap was very slowly widen so I couldn't pull back in without encroaching on the cyclist - possibly should have waited until the car had cleared the cyclist more but I expected them to pull out once the road was clear and get up to the speed limit reasonably quickly not sit out there sub 40 MPH. For clarity here I never broke the speed limit - if it looks like I was going quickly it is because the other road users were going so slow.

If you are going to overtake someone do it quickly, decisively or don't bother.

your moan is a about small delay in time

Often isn't - I've spent a good bit of time crawling behind cyclists for a mile or more before a suitable place to overtake came up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Often isn't - I've spent a good bit of time crawling behind cyclists for a mile or more before a suitable place to overtake came up.

Maybe for you perhaps but I presume thats a pretty rare case across the country. Either way a cyclists life or injury isnt an equivalence to your delay in time in terms of inconvenience which was the point

Soldato
I had a fun one the other day - was a good thing the road was wide open ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGpR1eYamB0

The car driver never did more than half the speed limit at any point and the cyclist sped up to almost match their speed putting me in a quite bad position as the gap was very slowly widen so I couldn't pull back in without encroaching on the cyclist - possibly should have waited until the car had cleared the cyclist more but I expected them to pull out once the road was clear and get up to the speed limit reasonably quickly not sit out there sub 40 MPH. For clarity here I never broke the speed limit - if it looks like I was going quickly it is because the other road users were going so slow.

If you are going to overtake someone do it quickly, decisively or don't bother.

I've been in that situation before. That driver in front was an annoying dawdler, don't understand why they seemed to stop mid overtake.

Man of Honour
I've been in that situation before. That driver in front was an annoying dawdler, don't understand why they seemed to stop mid overtake.

It is an area of the country a lot of people retire to - sadly a lot of 40 MPH everywhere elderly drivers like that one who dawdle and are all over the road, permanent full beams and **** anyone else a night, etc. and also a lot of cyclists around that bit.

When traffic is a bit busier I've been stuck behind a cyclist through the village behind, all along that straight and all the way through to the next town a bit over a mile further on before managing to get past them :(

Soldato
How does the new junction rule apply if it is traffic light controlled so you are turning into a road where people are waiting for the green man to cross? Logic would dictate you don't need to stop in that situation but I can't see where it says that in the new rule

Soldato
How does the new junction rule apply if it is traffic light controlled so you are turning into a road where people are waiting for the green man to cross? Logic would dictate you don't need to stop in that situation but I can't see where it says that in the new rule

My wife mentioned this the other day, we have such a junction right next to our estate. I said if I'm on green I'm going but she thought she would need to stop.

So regardless of the actual rule there is confusion which out on the roads is no good.

Soldato
Under 10mph to pass a horse seems very slow, can't see that many people droping to 8mph on a NSL road to crawl past a horse whilst on the opposite side of the road.

Associate
This was one captured by a colleague a few years ago on his way home from work. Apparently the group of leisure cyclists passed about 3 or 4 suitable places on the left where they could have easily pulled over for 15 seconds to let the queue of vehicles behind them overtake. The road is quite twisty and there are enough oncoming cars to restrict the number of safe opportunities to pass the group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc-BDlz1Fts

His viewpoint was that they had delayed 30+ cars by about 2 minutes each in the space of a mile, so collectively they caused an hour's worth of delay and frustration. 7 cyclists delayed for about 15 seconds would collectively have been about 2 minutes :D

Soldato
I thought you were also supposed to pull over if there are more than something like 6 cars backed up. Police fine tractor drivers for that sometimes as it becomes an obstruction.

But cyclists doing this makes me tempted to fit a train horn lol

Soldato
In the West Country, agricultural vehicles frequently pull over to allow traffic to pass. Everybody gets on that little bit better (except the tourists :p).
Though they're a lot smaller, still, cycling groups could do the same.
But equally, a lot of drivers are incredibly impatient at times.

I don't know what point i'm trying to make. Some people are knobs? *shrugs*.

Soldato
No, I'm good with what I replied to, there are many kinds of laybys and implementations and you're pitching a far more flawed idea which makes me question your roadcraft.

Having taken several theory and practical tests, gaining B, C, C1, D, D1, certified IAM Advanced & currently in training for PCV Instructor, I think my roadcraft is perfectly fine.

This is a prime example of the level of intelligence of the average driver. Cyclists moan about other road users being considerate to them because it is the difference between risk to life and safety, your moan is a about small delay in time, THEY ARE NOT IN ANY WAY EQUIVALENT, but thick drivers like to think it is. Its ridiculous that it even needs explaining

And thick cyclists miss the point of what was being said. A cyclist is a slow moving vehicle. Wilfully holding up a queue of other road users that are capable of greater speeds (within the limits) is massively inconsiderate, pulling in and allowing those road users to pass safely poses no risk to the cyclist, other than a "small delay" to their journey. "It's ridiculous that it even needs explaining"......

Back
Top Bottom