Road to recovery

Soldato
OP
Training went really well today. Couldn't go yesterday because it was a bank holiday though.

That odd sensation in my lower back disappeared after my warmup and some back extensions.

All weights and resistences have been increase for this week. :D

Crosstrainer 10 minutes
Incline 10, resistence 8 now

Back extensions
BW x10

Chest press
80kg x10
100kg x10
120kg x5
130kg x10 2 sets
140kg x10 3 sets :D

Chest cable flys
Width 10, depth 9 settings

10kg x10
15kg x10
15kg x5
12.5kg x10
12.5kg x10
12.5kg x10

Barbell bicep curls
Wide grip

20kg x10 3 sets
15kg x10 2 sets

Narrow grip
20kg x3 FAIL :(
15kg x5 5 sets

Farmers walk
15kg per hand
12 lengths of gym
3 sets of 4 lengths

Back extensions
+6gk x10 5 sets

Hanging knee raises.
(slow and controlled)
12 x10 5 sets

Stretches

Quite happy with all the increases, pity about failing on narrow grip 20kgs though. Arms were just too tired then from the rest it seems.

Forgot how tough cable flys can be, that 15kg was super tough, my biceps started being engaged so I dropped the weight rather than doing cheat sets/reps.

Seems my body has finally started to adapt to me cutting out some carbs, and Scivation Xtend really helps. Specially since my training is about 2 hours long. All those sets and reps are such a big change from my old powerlifting of 5 reps and 3 sets.

Still happy with my progress so far.

Legs tomorrow

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Good work buddy :)
I can't help but think the chest press machine is a bit naff if you can rep 140kg lol. I supposed it's a bit like a leg press, you see people doing 300kg+ on that, but they can only squat 80-100kg.

Soldato
OP
Yup, that's what it feels like alright. It maxes at 170kg ( same as leg press :( ), that's also one of the reasons I went for more reps.

I still do everything controlled, and with full ROM.

I do miss free weights, but those are still very far away at the moment :mad:

Soldato
OP
I tried the bench and even with 40kg I could feel discomfort in my lowerback.
Plus I have a lot of trouble getting off the bech, I can't really do a basic situp. So I'm like a turtle on my back haha.

Once all the discomfort goes away from my training and stretching I'll start from scratch on those freeweights.

I'd rather take it very slow and stick to the machines, than suffer another relapse.

Caporegime
If you don't mind me asking if your doing 140kg on a chest press what would be the issue with doing 60kg on a bench and working up from there?

As Nightmares already said, you'll be surprised at how much your lower back gets affected during the Bench :) With the machine it's more isolated

Soldato
OP
Can you not even bench with a flat back?

Tried that and still was uncomfortable and a tad sore.

Haven't done that in ages.

I might try if I had someone else to help, but I can't lift and walk with the bar, and it'll probably still hurt my back like the normal bench.

I usually go to the gym when there's no one there, since the college exams are on.

I might try at somestage though, but for now I'd rather stick with the physio gave me. I might be overly cautious, but it's far better than having another relapse.

Soldato
Subbing to this thread.

Welcome back buddy - You can only come back stronger. Pound for pound, you're one of the strongest we have here, so lets see your march back :D

A couple of things - What are your goals at the moment? And what's with the overpriced supps? Good grief, put that money towards food!

I recommend you subscribe to this dude - Hopefully you'll find something of benefit on route to recovery! http://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfit?ob=0

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A couple of things - What are your goals at the moment? And what's with the overpriced supps? Good grief, put that money towards food!

Goals, get back into shape, general health, getting stronger and probably add some mass for once :)

The Supps are only really over priced in retail, I ordered the 1.1kg tup which is nearly 3times the amount of the small one for €50 with postage.

Much cheaper, and it actually helps a lot.
My average training day with weights involved is usually 1.7-2 hours long.

Also my food is not being skimped on :D
Can't have that happen at all.

Also thanks for that link, the guy has some very interesting stuff. A lot of it reminds me of Icecold's thread.

Back
Top Bottom