Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
Never read books. The two people I know who have think this show is an abomination.

It looks quite good when watching- costumes, scenery etc. I think it is generally poorly acted and a bit dull. The writing of the show isn’t good.

I think the creators and funders of this show have really missed a trick. It’s a great world and seems to have potential for a great story. It’s let down by poor writing and fairly wooden acting.

it’s one of those shows that you watch because you need an hour off.

Soldato
It looks quite good when watching- costumes, scenery etc. I think it is generally poorly acted and a bit dull. The writing of the show isn’t good.

I think the creators and funders of this show have really missed a trick. It’s a great world and seems to have potential for a great story. It’s let down by poor writing and fairly wooden acting.

it’s one of those shows that you watch because you need an hour off.
All they had to do was follow the story laid out in the books, it's no surprise that one of the most successful shows of the past decade owed it's success to the screenwriters following what was already laid out and only fell apart when they had to go it themselves and didn't have that source material (GoT). WoT didn't learn this lesson and instead has a screenwriter that's ignoring what's already there for him and making his own version up. If the spoilers I've seen for ep 8 are true then this is even more of a **** show than I 1st thought.

It's so annoying that we'll never see the story from the books done properly.

Soldato
All they had to do was follow the story laid out in the books, it's no surprise that one of the most successful shows of the past decade owed it's success to the screenwriters following what was already laid out and only fell apart when they had to go it themselves and didn't have that source material (GoT). WoT didn't learn this lesson and instead has a screenwriter that's ignoring what's already there for him and making his own version up. If the spoilers I've seen for ep 8 are true then this is even more of a **** show than I 1st thought.

It's so annoying that we'll never see the story from the books done properly.

i am enjoying this show but i haven’t read the books. I have read the a few witcher books including the one this season was supposed to be based on. What you wrote about WoT not following the books fan be said the same for the witcher. Its such a shame that these hollywood hacks change the story usually for the worse.

Soldato
i am enjoying this show but i haven’t read the books. I have read the a few witcher books including the one this season was supposed to be based on. What you wrote about WoT not following the books fan be said the same for the witcher. Its such a shame that these hollywood hacks change the story usually for the worse.
I've never read the Witcher series of books, only played the 3 games I'm afraid. But yeah, I've seen the same compliant from lovers of the books in various Witcher threads. To be fair I'm enjoying S2 of Witcher when it's Geralt focused, Cavill does an excellent.job imo.

Soldato
Huge fan of the books, have read them through many times (and even enjoyed the 'struggle' through books 5-10! Too much time in the menagerie tho) so thought i'd give the show a try. managed 4 episodes before giving up. @C Kent is spot on - I dont mind stuff being shortened, abridged, even outright changed for tv, but whoever did the screenplay and script for this has made a right hash of it, so it's gone on the garbage pile. Big shame.

Associate
Did not enjoy episode 8 at all, what a massive anti-climax. Probably my least favourite of the season, disliked almost everything about it. 3/10.

I'm normally accepting of the changes they make, but everything they did here I disagree with with the exceptions of:

Neatly setting up the start of the great hunt by having Fain steal the horn already.

Skipping non-Ishamael forsaken as they always feel a bit pointless in the book here.

Skipping Someshta because it's just a bit of world building that's never revisited. I think he's quite interesting but I can see that there's little point having him in the show for his one scene.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Men are too weak to wield the power of magic and all go insane....

still comes across like some feminist plot...... I didn't find ep 8 soo bad though, I just wish the channeling crap wasn't like a 1980s vfx hand drawn frame by frame on a film strip.

I guess it's how women are though, if you want something doing you either nag your wife or just get up and do it your self because it's quicker. :D (ahh the joys of sexism, see it works both ways love)

Man of Honour
I find it OK as a distraction - as a stand-alone show it would be passable - but given what they are working with it is disappointing even as someone who isn't invested in the source material.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Was
Moraine stilled/shielded
As I can see from other comments that
loial was stabbed with the dagger from shadar logoth

It was presented as being stilled. Why they did this, **** knows, Rafe is just making this up as he goes. I guess we need to see Moraine cry again.

Yep Loial was stabbed by Fain, because that totally makes sense...

Show is a mess.

Soldato
It was presented as being stilled. Why they did this, **** knows, Rafe is just making this up as he goes. I guess we need to see Moraine cry again.

Yep Loial was stabbed by Fain, because that totally makes sense...

Show is a mess.
A snippet of my post from the 6th September from this thread

If the showrunners can't adhere to the little things then what's to stop them from changing major plot points

Wish I could do that with lottery numbers :(

Associate
Men are too weak to wield the power of magic and all go insane....

That's not how it is at all, but if the show hasn't managed to get across to viewers the situation then...

The VFX stuff is true also but apparently covid has royally ****** the VFX world so I can cut them some slack here. Someone in this thread who works in the industry was confident that was the case anyway. I can't imagine Amazon cheaping out here.

Was
Moraine stilled/shielded
As I can see from other comments that
loial was stabbed with the dagger from shadar logoth

I think she was shielded but semi permanently, like what Lanfear does to Asmodean. I *think* they had her try to lie and she couldn't which is why I believe she's shielded vs stilled. But then that doesn't explain why she can't unmask the bond to Lan so who knows. And also if the bond was broken Lan would've assumed she was dead/gone nuts. All around mess right there.

They've nerfed the dagger, no one was dying a horrible death after getting stabbed by it. Loial was still moving in the last shot of him so I think he'll survive.

Perrin was beyond useless in this episode. Lan did nothing at all.

How tf did Moiraine and Rand make it through the blight without Lan. Terrible change, out of character (for Moiraine to leave Lan) and completely against the setting of the blight established in the book.

You can't burn someone out in a circle, what were they thinking with this. For me personally the changes that upset me the most (/at all) are when they randomly change the set in stone rules of the world and then don't even do anything impressive with it!

I can't understand the thinking behind the entire 'battle' at tarwins gap. It's like they just wanted to give Nynaeve and Egwene 'something' to do. But in the process they've messed up Rand's epic moment.

Egwene healing Nynaeve from what I'm pretty sure was death. Just no.

They are going full cyclical, Latra Posae (sp) called LTT 'Dragon Reborn' which wasn't the case at all. Dragon was just a title given to him, it's not necessarily the one used in all turnings of the wheel. Minor point but stuff like that annoys me because it contradicts the lore for no reason. Also she, not he, was the leader it seemed.

Seanchan looked somewhat cool, interesting costuming. Why did they destroy a whole lot of nothing with a massive tsunami though.

Not sure what to think about the eye being a seal to the prison. Could work. I'm interested to know if there are others scattered through the world and where they are.

The 'fight' with Ishamael was just meh, anti climax. The actor did a good job though, I hope he returns.

Moiraine is sort of ignorant compared to the books. IIRC she never thought they were going to defeat the DO at the eye of the world, only that a lot of signs pointed to something happening there? Up until Rand did whatever he did to Ishamael it seems like she genuinely thought they were going to seal up the DO at the eye.

As I said before, Fain getting the horn at this point is actually a clever change. Sets the storyline up well. If only they'd given some more exposition on what the horn actually is beyond a couple of sentences. The actor for Fain is great.

I think what they plan to do next season is run books 2 & 3 concurrently and have Perrin/? (Loial?) chasing down Fain and Rand heading off to Tear, maybe against his will. In theory I don't hate it, it could work but after the ending of this season faith is rapidly running out.

One thing that is abundantly clear is that they may well have this super fan who has read the series 25 times consulting, but they aren't particularly listening to her. Whether that's the fault of Rafe or random execs at Amazon interfering who knows. But if they're going to salvage this going forward they need to start listening, fast.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's not how it is at all, but if the show hasn't managed to get across to viewers the situation then...
It's been said multiple times the dragon will go insane cos it's a man and men can't handle magic?
didn't he want to stay behind in this latest ep or whatever because he would go insane? I'm pretty sure that was literally said

I don't know anything about the source material at all and to me the show seems quite decent, even good at times.
the budget for CGI etc or anything big is kinda holding it back too though.

the world even feels really tiny and empty like a small island that has a population of about 50 total.

maybe thats why GOT seemed to great because there were so many different locations, so many different characters, so many different plots.

there's is like a series on rails like a corridor shooter fps or something.

Maybe S2 feels better and bigger.

Look at other fairly recent series
Shadow and Bone feels way better when you look back at the quality of the visuals, the cast and pacing etc compared to nearly every other covid era show.

so covid can't be an excuse surely?

Last edited:
Associate
It's been said multiple times the dragon will go insane cos it's a man and men can't handle magic?
didn't he want to stay behind in this latest ep or whatever because he would go insane? I'm pretty sure that was literally said

It's not because men can't handle magic or any feminist stuff. It's because the male half of the power was tainted by the dark one when LTT (the guy from the prologue of ep 8) sealed him back in his prison. Basically the female aes sedai wanted to try a different plan so refused to help, and the result was an imperfect prison and the male half of the power being corrupted. Which lead to the breaking of the world which lead eventually to the present day where civilization is about 1000 years regressed from it's peak and the dark one is close to breaking free.

Caporegime
ahh okay I get it now,
maybe it was explained and I didn;t pay enough attention.

I guess it makes sense as well if the dark one is getting inside your head and telling you all kinds of crap anyway regardless.

but IDK why I got the impression it's just men can't handle magic because they are to weak minded and the women of the tower want to hunt and find them before they go insane and start killing everyone....

surely I'm not the only one?

Associate
ahh okay I get it now,
but IDK why I got the impression it's just men can't handle magic because they are to weak minded and the women of the tower want to hunt and find them before they go insane and start killing everyone....

surely I'm not the only one?

This bit I think is actually something the show is doing quite well: Unreliable narration. Everything you hear from an aes sedai about men that can channel is going to be skewed because they've spent thousands of years trying to clean up the damage from the breaking.

Back
Top Bottom