Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Soldato
only just got round to finishing this. quite enjoyed it, though the Hogwarts teen angst guff with Egwene in the tower was starting to give me the trots. give me more of Rand, Moraine and the other grown ups rather than the kiddy boppers. perrin is also a bit of a meh character & matt was decent in s1 but s2 actor just doesn't cut it for me.
over all though it was decent enough and kept me watching......for the most part :p

Caporegime
Oh no, these last three episodes are the best ones! So close to the end, don't give up now. :D
I did get to the end eventually and yes it was much better but we wouldn't come back for another series. I just didn't stay engaged while watching it. I ended up picking up a device and getting distracted. That to me is a good indicator I need to find another show :)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I didn't fully understand how off the show has portrayed Rann, Perrin and Mat were until I started reading the books. That's a massive understatement.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The the TV show is more about the woman rather than the blokes. Where the books was a even spread. The TV show has not touched on the male side of things at all really.

It's dare I say it a bit woke.

Soldato
The the TV show is more about the woman rather than the blokes. Where the books was a even spread. The TV show has not touched on the male side of things at all really.

It's dare I say it a bit woke.
Ah ok. In fairness there were a few ‘hmmm’ moments but for the most part it seemed fine to me.
I like me some magic and fantasy and this does it reasonably well so I can’t knock it too much.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Not read the books myself yet but without massive spoilers in case I do can you expand?

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the show and that's what drew me into the books in the first place.

Then I realised the folk who told me that the show was nothing like the books were spot on. The story itself revolves around Rann, Perrin and Mat a lot more. Also some of other character roles are completely changed and nothing like how it is portrayed in the books.

The show also minimises their involvement and puts the female characters in the forefront which changes the plot. The show does sprinkle ideas from the book but does so in a much more watered down way and doesn't cover the depth, the detail or the lore of the WoT universe.

Last edited:
Soldato
In one respect by girl boss-ing some of the female characters it ruins their character development. In season 2 (book 2) Egwene and Nynaeve has series defining events that utterly humble them and change their World outlooks entirely, or at least in the books they do. In the TV series they both just girl boss their way out and central character defining development is wasted. Honestly seasons 2 was strange, the book had a fairly solid plot and character development for all the characters and the writers said "Nah! We know better"

Season 2 was much much better than season 1 but they change stuff that doesn't need changing then write new additional stuff we never needed, Moiraine and Lan I'm looking at you. The books needed pruning for TV, big time, but the choices of how to prune are sometimes baffling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom