Robert Kubica has suffered "serious injuries"

Man of Honour
Hope it isn't as bad as some news sources are making it out to be.

+1

normal14d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Supposed to be a press statement in an hour or so but it may take a few days before the exact nature and implications are really known. A friend broke her arm some years ago and it took two days before the swelling went down enough to see what the state of play really was.

Caporegime
:( I hope he makes a full recovery.

He's been one of my favourite drivers for some time. I've always thought that if he got a front running car he could be a champion. Let's hope this accident doesn't rob him, and the sport, of that.

smr

smr

Soldato
Really didn't wanna wake up to reading this this morning :(

Tremendously talented guy and a really nice bloke to go with it.

Hope he makes a quick recovery and can drive in Formula 1 again.

It doesn't sound good :(

For me he lives on the edge just as much as any current F1 driver out there, which is why he is so awesome to watch driving.

Man of Honour
That Italian site now reporting he's having surgery to control internal bleeding.

Doesn't surprise me. The shots of him going into the helicopter don't look great - for example the tube to help/control his breathing. Hopefully a precaution, but could also indicate damage to his chest. The stupid thing is, the car doesn't look too bad - it was the guard rail that came into the car that did the damage. Even worse, it has just been reported on BBC news that "he was on his way to the start of the stage when the car left the road at speed." What the?

Soldato
That Italian site now reporting he's having surgery to control internal bleeding.

This is really not good news :(

Hope he gets better soon.

EDIT: The pictures show him being intubated and ventilated, which is what us Emergency docs will do in such a situation. Its not always clear the extent of the injuries at the scene and to transport by helicopter its safest to anaesthetise the patient and take over the work of breathing for them. The pics don't really show the extent of his condition.

Last edited:
Associate
Holy crap! That car looks properly mashed!

BBC are saying that 'there will be doubts about his ability to continue in the sport'. I guess only time will tell. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery!...

Man of Honour
alanbaldwinf1
Hearing from Kubica's hospital that press briefing likely to be around 1600 local now rather than 1400.

I guess they are waiting for more news :(

13:50 KUBICA under the knife
It 'started the surgery to reduce fractures of the pilot Robert Kubica and groped for the reduction of internal bleeding. To perform the surgery on his right hand, Professor Igor Rossello of the regional center of hand surgery.

13:55 Dr. Carrozzino Hospital Santa Corona announced that Kubica has been tested to assess possible damage to internal organs and brain. Asked about the possibility of amputation of hands, Carrozzino replied that no decision has yet been taken. "The decision of amputation can not be taken lightly. I do not deny nor confirm. "

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
So upset to see this when I woke up. My favorite driver by a long shot. Really hope he is alright, let alone any ability to continue racing.

Man of Honour
Kubica will now undergo a delicate operation on his right hand from the primary center of hand surgery Ospedale San Paolo di Savona Igor Rossello. In addition to the hand, doctors have found a vast internal bleeding, as well as a fractured femur, which is why the conditions of the pilot are still considered very serious. also heading to the hospital pietrese imminent arrival of Flavio Briatore, a former team manager of the Renault Formula One team.

http://www.savonanews.it/2011/02/06/leggi-notizia/argomenti/cronaca-2/articolo/pietra-robert-kubica- entra-in-sala-operatoria-gravi-le-sue-condizioni.html

Soldato
Real bad news, always thought Kubica with a top car would be right in a title scrap he's one of the most talented drivers on the grid this looks really bad for his future prospects though :(

You have to wonder how much longer top F1 teams can let their drivers do stuff like this in their spare time, I doubt Wayne Rooney is even allowed a kick about in the park with his mates because of his value to Manchester United yet F1 teams are happy to let their multi million pound asset drivers drive Rally cars in the off season!

Back
Top Bottom