• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rocket lake leaks

Soldato
So this "ultimate gaming CPU" didn't take back the gaming crown as you promised? Overclocked north of 5ghz? Hope you've got some serious cooling!

It doesn't look like even the i9 will best AMDs mid range chip, whilst being priced at over a 5900X.

Did you tell us porkies Dave?
According to the pic he posted of his supposed to be motherboard hes got a noctua air cooler

Associate
Just confirms what many of us have been saying; one small retailer's statistics (Mind Factory) being used by those financially/emotionally invested in AMD to represent their fantasy world market share data, has no bearing on the real life market conditions.

I'd have expected AMD to have claimed much more market share, considering how competitive Zen 3 is.

You're comparing different markets, Intel will continue to have the bulk of sales despite their newest product being inferior (in most ways we care about) to their older products and their competitors.

Associate
It is a shame that Intel could not come up with something decent this generation as competition is good. Looks like this new gen will struggle to keep up with the old while running like a furnace and drawing crazy power. Pricing is just ridiculous £500+ for an 8 core CPU is ludicrous especially when the next Gen is due in a few months. People will obviously buy what they want to buy and good for them but honestly i do not see any point at all in upgrading to Rocket Lake and the pure rubbish that some of the Intel die hards are spouting (well one in particular) is full on dillusional. I am a fan of tech i do not care who makes it as long as i is good, Alder Lake may make me think but i suspect AMD will retain the crown for a few more years yet

Soldato
It is a shame that Intel could not come up with something decent this generation as competition is good. Looks like this new gen will struggle to keep up with the old while running like a furnace and drawing crazy power. Pricing is just ridiculous £500+ for an 8 core CPU is ludicrous especially when the next Gen is due in a few months. People will obviously buy what they want to buy and good for them but honestly i do not see any point at all in upgrading to Rocket Lake and the pure rubbish that some of the Intel die hards are spouting (well one in particular) is full on dillusional. I am a fan of tech i do not care who makes it as long as i is good, Alder Lake may make me think but i suspect AMD will retain the crown for a few more years yet
This is spot on if the product is good doesnt matter who makes it

Soldato
Why is the 11900K, which is the same CPU as the 11700K + 100Mhz $200 more? Intel are desperate to hold on to that "Premium Brand" mind share they haven't had for about 2 years.

they saw the premium that the binning stores were making and thought they could get in on the action.

Soldato
Why is the 11900K, which is the same CPU as the 11700K + 100Mhz $200 more? Intel are desperate to hold on to that "Premium Brand" mind share they haven't had for about 2 years.

I think that is part of the reason they have auto GEAR2 the 11700 and GEAR1 the 11900 so when tested at default, it will make the 11900 look better by nerfing their own product, most reviewers have already stated they will set gear1, so they'll not allow the 11900 a false advantage in reviews.
V poor from INTEL, but frankly what do we expect?

Caporegime
I think that is part of the reason they have auto GEAR2 the 11700 and GEAR1 the 11900 so when tested at default, it will make the 11900 look better by nerfing their own product, most reviewers have already stated they will set gear1, so they'll not allow the 11900 a false advantage in reviews.
V poor from INTEL, but frankly what do we expect?

Yeah i saw that video from Steve Burke, it does feel like Intel deliberately gimping the IMC on the 10700K, or trying to.

Associate
Yeah i saw that video from Steve Burke, it does feel like Intel deliberately gimping the IMC on the 10700K, or trying to.

Looking at Steve's numbers, the difference between gear 1 & 2 mode is so insignificant I don't think even that will save the 11900k. The 10850k at its current price makes rocket lake completely redundant unless you really need PCIE4 in which case Ryzen is the way to go imo. I don't understand intel's strategy with this launch at all.

Associate
Looking at Steve's numbers, the difference between gear 1 & 2 mode is so insignificant I don't think even that will save the 11900k. The 10850k at its current price makes rocket lake completely redundant unless you really need PCIE4 in which case Ryzen is the way to go imo. I don't understand intel's strategy with this launch at all.

Steve missed the point of Gear 2 completely. It's to allow memory to scale up in frequency at the expensive of latency.

Him *never* mentioning this tells me he doesn't get why it exists.

The real question for any oc enthusiasts is, what are the ceilings for 1:1 and 1:2 and then look at the performance gap between the two.

Associate
I kept half an eye on RL because I was planning to do a fresh install of Windows on a new boot SSD, so wondered if it was worth changing platform at the same time.
This on a 3 year old Z370/i5-8400.
As a DAW user Intel were the clear leader 3 years ago and AMD had no APUs beyond 4C.
Zen 3 should be the clear leader now for DAW performance; there are a few compatibility issues still, no big deal for most.
But still no Ryzen APUs beyond 4C at retail so I decided to stick with the Z370.
I picked up a new i9-9900 for £165 and to go beyond that is unnecessary and would be too much of a hassle and poor value.
But if I upgrade in another 3 years I still expect AMD to be ahead.
Just hope they have decent retail APUs by then.

Soldato
Steve missed the point of Gear 2 completely. It's to allow memory to scale up in frequency at the expensive of latency.
Him *never* mentioning this tells me he doesn't get why it exists.
The real question for any oc enthusiasts is, what are the ceilings for 1:1 and 1:2 and then look at the performance gap between the two.

It isn't really, not when INTEL doesn't assign it as so, their expected behaviour, is gear 1 up to 2933, and then gear 2 above then, unless you're running the 11900 in which case it gets gear1 at 3200.
That's the inherent behaviour, they'll gear2 you ass, to scupper any chip that isn't the flagship.
Steve is canny enough to suggest INTEL might change this behaviour before launch, which they might, if Shrouty gets found out for trying to create space between the 11700 and 11900 where there basically isn't any.

Back
Top Bottom