Ron Atkinson has quit ITV after rascist comment.

Associate
The political police been working overtime in this thread ???

He did appologise didn't he. So whats the fuss.

Maybe he should be dragged out onto the pitch at Chelsea
next game and nailed to a cross or something.

I liked Big Ron.

Da world is going to the dogs.

Caporegime
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with Atkinson, but you can't say things like that, on or off air.

Not saying give him 30 whips or anything like that, just saying that it was pretty out of order imho.

Soldato
Originally posted by Storm

I liked Big Ron.

So if you say something bad and apologize it makes it ok?

Ain't seen ya here in a long time, where ya been?

Soldato
Originally posted by Storm

I liked Big Ron.

From what I've heard he actually said far more than the telegraph has reported it's far worse, they have only reported half of what he said.

In his position you can't say those things, and get away with it.

He was so bias too, pleased we have got rid to be honest.

Associate
Hi Jazz,

I've been biting my lip for months and months, since september I think, trying to stay away cause I find I'm easily wound up and like winding up too, and we all know the passion of footy.

With Big Ron, he 'seems' to have know as soon as he said it that it was the wrong thing to say, he again 'seems' to have appologised profusely about the incident, so I think it could have been left at that.

People these days are so easily hung out to dry for the honest mistakes.

Congrats to Arsenal on an excellent title win this year too, hope we can make a better show of it next season.

Man of Honour
Bah. It's only words. He is lazy, and he is black. I know people get all offended and outraged when someone says ******, and Atkinison should have had the common sense to realize that PC has removed free speech to such an extent he wouldn't get away with saying what he said, but the comment isn't necessarily racist. ****** is just another word to describe black people, but one which has become taboo because of the way some people in times past used it in derogatory fashion. It wasn't all people that used it derogatorily though; many used it just as a descriptor.

I sometimes call an old school friend of mine a ******* **** ****, because he's Indian not Pakistani and it gets up his nose :D, but that's not racist and perhaps Atkinison's comment was as harmless. I'm sure if it had been someone from Scotland he'd have substituted jock in for ******. It might just be something about the person he can latch onto and use in his huff, and doesn't really mean anything. Just because colour or race is mentioned, is not in and of itself racist.

If I'd heard that as a manager, he'd refused to sign Desailly 'because [the comment]', then I'd believe him to be racist, but I'd need more evidence to believe he was being racist in this instance instead of just blowing off steam...

It's a shame he didn't use 'frog' instead though...:p

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Deadly Ferret
Bah. It's only words. He is lazy, and he is black. I know people get all offended and outraged when someone says ******, and Atkinison should have had the common sense to realize that PC has removed free speech to such an extent he wouldn't get away with saying what he said, but the comment isn't necessarily racist. ****** is just another word to describe black people, but one which has become taboo because of the way some people in times past used it in derogatory fashion. It wasn't all people that used it derogatorily though; many used it just as a descriptor.

He actually said it several times, and used several other words to describe Desailly, and his level of intelligence.

Why did he need to use them? After all there are plently of other things he could have said to describe his poor performance

In his position he should have known better, simple as.

Associate

I sometimes call an old school friend of mine a ******* **** ****, because he's Indian not Pakistani and it gets up his nose :D, but that's not racist and perhaps Atkinison's comment was as harmless. I'm sure if it had been someone from Scotland he'd have substituted jock in for ******. It might just be something about the person he can latch onto and use in his huff, and doesn't really mean anything. Just because colour or race is mentioned, is not in and of itself racist.

If I'd heard that as a manager, he'd refused to sign Desailly 'because [the comment]', then I'd believe him to be racist, but I'd need more evidence to believe he was being racist in this instance instead of just blowing off steam...

It's a shame he didn't use 'frog' instead though...:p

The N word prmotes a lot more anger than Jock, i dont mind being called a Jock, in some ways I like it, reinterates what I am.... Ron says a word (causes offence) in a lazy sense of his language towards his own stigma's, which as far as I am concernerened, he should get the boot (I resigned) is utter tosh, in my opinion, jump before shoved.

On a lighter note, any commentary he done, any notice, even when not showing a Man U game, he still couldn't help saying Manchaester United in a game, always found it funny.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I guess we have to remember that as he is 65 years old, from "the bad old days" as it were, things like this could have been ingrained in him a long time ago, and even though he knows it's wrong to use such terms, in the heat of the moment it just slipped out. Like I said earlier, there's nothing in his general behaviour as a manager or pundit, what he says on air etc which made me think he was racist. He had no problem with signing and playing black players at a time when they weren't so common, heck there were quite a few at Villa back in the day. Did he sign Mcgrath for MU too?

I'm not saying the fact that he is old excuses his behaviour, you just can't say those type of things anymore, he should know better and it's right that has resigned. I just don't think that deep down, he is an evil person in that regard.

I for one will miss his commentary, classic ronglish and whatever anyone else says, I think he reads the game better than anyone on terrestrial TV. The number of times he correctly predicts stuff is uncanny.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by HangTime
I guess we have to remember that as he is 65 years old, from "the bad old days" as it were, things like this could have been ingrained in him a long time ago, and even though he knows it's wrong to use such terms, in the heat of the moment it just slipped out. Like I said earlier, there's nothing in his general behaviour as a manager or pundit, what he says on air etc which made me think he was racist. He had no problem with signing and playing black players at a time when they weren't so common, heck there were quite a few at Villa back in the day. Did he sign Mcgrath for MU too?

Here here, except I don't agree "it's wrong to use such terms". No words should be shamed out of use just because they are used derogatorily by some people.

I think he did sign McGrath. Time period seems about right. :)

Man of Honour
Here here, except I don't agree "it's wrong to use such terms". No words should be shamed out of use just because they are used derogatorily by some people.

I think he did sign McGrath. Time period seems about right. :)

This probably isn't the right forum to go into this, but personally I think that it's up to the target of the "abuse" to decide whether the term is derogatory or not. If you have been exposed to abuse from people using 'offensive' terminology, it is only natural to associate those terms with feelings of insult, anger and so forth, so when someone else uses those words, directed at you, you can find it unpleasant even if that wasn't necessarily the intent of whoever said them.

If you want to blame somebody for words being "shamed out of use", blame those who decided to use the terms in a derogatory, offensive manner in the first place, not the so-called "Politically Correct Do-Gooders" or whatever :)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by HangTime
personally I think that it's up to the target of the "abuse" to decide whether the term is derogatory or not.

:eek:

If you happened to be short and I for some reason called you an old midget, and you felt insulted by it, going by your principle above you would have the right to dictate that I can't use the word anymore? That's an outrage...you old midget. :p

;)

Associate
I see the fawn cardigan brigade are at it again.

I like big Ron's commentaries. Good ex player and ex manager who can read a game better than most pundits. I particularly liked Gilly's comment about his "Ronglish"

I rather doubt he is in any way a racist in the true sense of the word. Pity his down to earth comments were his downfall because they were also an endearing feature of his style. It's quite extrordinary how quickly some people can wield a knife as if they have never made a mistake themselves.

Perhaps we should put things into perspective before someone, somewhere, suggests we use a word like, gay, to describe homosexual and lesbian people or even ban our librarys from stocking some Enid Blyton books :rolleyes:

Anyway, his mistake has cost him dear 'cos amongst other things bang go his freebie trips to Euro 2004 and the WC 2006!:eek:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom