Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
OP
Just ordered all the panels and mountings for the NWW roof, delivery Friday.

I've added the prices per line.

NWW-Roof-panels.jpg

Soldato
OP
Which MPPT did you get for them?

SmartSolar MPPT 150/45 for the rear wall in a 3S, and SmartSolar MPPT 280/85 for the roof, which will be in a 4S3P arrangement.

Who are you using for panels if I may ask? Need to get some stuff ordered too.

Bizarrely its https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/c/product/renewables/solar-pv/c/1870005/
Apart from the keen prices another benefit with City Plumbing is they have loads of local branches and you don't get stitched up with £100 or more delivery, so save even more money.

12 x 435W panels for £68.40 ex vat? seems like a great price!

Nope, £68.40 including VAT, normally £70.99 but managed to get a little discount.

You can get 410 watt panel for £56.74 including VAT.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Update on yesterdays progress, it was a long day.

This is what we had yesterday morning.

2024-05-25-15-57-15.jpg

The DC isolators have now gone, the two combiners boxes have been condensed into smaller ones - no need for fuses when there is only two strings combined. The MCB's in the combiner boxes are suitable means of isolation.

This is where I got to last night.

2024-07-6-Update1.jpg

Inside the combiner boxes.

2024-07-06-Combiner-boxes.jpg

This will be the final layout, its surprising just how much bigger the 250/85 MPPT's are compared to the 150/45's.

2024-07-06-Layout.jpg

I woke up about 5:45 this morning, so popped out to the garage to check voltages, 100v on each combiner, which hopefully means I got all the wiring correct!

There is eight black PV cables coming in, I did of course mark everything up as I disassembled it, and some was already marked. I've now marked the pairs more clearly, and put red heat shrink on the positives.

Best I go and get the MPPT's wired back in, so we can start generating some power!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My initial design was heavily influenced by Andy's Offgrid Garage, I'm not sure I even considered using MC4 combiners.

On my 3S2P arrays it would probably be better (certainly tidier from a wiring point of view) to use MC4 combiners on the roof, then run down using 6mm cable to a single isolation switch, but due to the layout that would also introduce more MC4 connections, and they are best kept to a minimum.

On my NW house roof array combining on the roof would cause voltage drop issues over the length wire back to the garage (estimated at 24 meters). You can overcome voltage drop by running more panels in series thus increasing voltage and reducing current, but then you run out of options with Victron MPPT's.

Once you go above 250v you need the RS 450/100 and they get very expensive, above 450v there is no option.

You don't need breakers, you need a means of isolation, so either a breaker or an isolator, I had both - the electrician insisted on isolators, when they are not needed as I have breakers.

So if combining on the roof with MC4's the main thing to watch is your voltage drop from the panels back to the MPPT.

I presume you've put your panel specs in to the https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I know the problem with time, that's my major issue (lack of it), I actually did about 12 hours work on Saturday alone, and it will soon be the weather when I need to start the external work, like you say its either going to be chucking it down or absolutely roasting hot, and I need to be on the roof.

Also got a hedge that desperately needs cutting (might do that Sunday), and some landscaping which needs finishing, but that's needed doing for years, so can wait until next year (again).

We're also doing away with the gas hob, so need to get a gas engineer to disconnect it, then I need to remove it, then I need to make the hole bigger in the granite worktop, so its ready along for the electricians to wire in when they do the panels.

Soldato
OP
Progress this weekend.

2024-07-14-Garage-progress.jpg

I've made up the last two combiner boxers, the second from the left isn't really a combiner as its only going to be a single string, but it keeps it looking neat.

The larger one combines three strings for the west north west house roof array, its is all wired up internally as much as I can for the moment, but I've run out out 35mm cable, and also 16mm cable for the rear wall string. Also the actual PV cables are not yet run in.

The MPPT's haven't arrived yet, with a bit of luck they'll arrive this week.

Got to cut the grass, and hedges, but if I get time later I need to lift one of the decking boards so I can run the PV cables under it from the house to the garage.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What did they do lol

Scafolders are a pain, they tend to prefer to use your place for storage until the next job
They can do, but hoping that as I've treated the guy well looking after his vehicles for many years, he'll look after me. His workers though owe me no favours, not even sure they would have known who they were putting scaffolding up for (I was at work).
How much was the scaffold/extent of it if you don't mind me asking?
Got it cheap, as per above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom