• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 worth it over RTX 3070?

Caporegime
You will need a PSU upgrade for the 12GB 3080, 3080ti and also a 3090. Your 650w will not do for any of these cards.

A 3070 is the max I would use on that 650w psu.

I believe @MissChief is running his 3080 on a 650w just fine?

I hope your choice is satisfactory. Good choice on the 3080, more than enough grunt for 1440P.

Depending on what fps you're happy with and what settings one is willing to use, a 3080 does not have enough grunt for 1440p for high refresh rate gaming, it's fantastic for 60hz but not 100+hz/fps. I have several titles where even with dlss quality/balanced, it doesn't achieve a locked 80 fps (my ideal fps limit) especially in RT unless sacrifices are made to settings. However, what I will say is the latest version of dlss is fantastic on performance mode if you really want to push fps without sacrificing graphical settings, a lot more usable than when I last tried it, at least this is in cp 2077 anyway.

Soldato
Have to agree, nor for UW. I have a 270Hz 1440p screen and the AW OLED here and find that the 6900XT is much more suited to high refresh gaming, usually running about 20%+ more fps in pure rasterisation.
Surely this relates to settings too? I'd be amazed if you can't get high refresh rates with a 3080, just turn down a few settings...

Caporegime
Have to agree, nor for UW. I have a 270Hz 1440p screen and the AW OLED here and find that the 6900XT is much more suited to high refresh gaming, usually running about 20%+ more fps in pure rasterisation.
Part of me wishes I never got this AW qd-oled screen as seeing a locked 171 fps has ruined lesser fps range now :cry: :(

Of the top of my head, current rasterization only titles which I'm playing and are a struggle to get a locked 100 fps @3440x1440 is sniper elite 5, rdr 2, forza 5, halo infinite.

Surely this relates to settings too? I'd be amazed if you can't get high refresh rates with a 3080, just turn down a few settings...
Goes against my nature! :p

But yes, I try to do this now, will sacrifice rasterization settings before RT settings too, it's why I desperately want better RT from next gen cards as imo, RT makes a bigger impact to IQ than any other graphical settings.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Turn down settings? Not allowed to do that apparently. Needs to maxed out (including dross like motion blur, dof, chromatic aberration etc) and don’t forget highest texture settings including any optional textures packs otherwise it does not count :p

Soldato
Turn down settings? Not allowed to do that apparently. Needs to maxed out (including dross like motion blur, dof, chromatic aberration etc) and don’t forget highest texture settings including any optional textures packs :p
I start with the recommended settings and then just see what I can crank up or down whilst maintaining a "smooth" framerate. I thought ultra was just for screenshots anyway? :cry:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I start with the recommended settings and then just see what I can crank up or down whilst maintaining a "smooth" framerate. I thought ultra was just for screenshots anyway? :cry:
I turn off all the rubbish settings like motion blur and depth of field etc. Whack everything else to max and see what’s what. After that if needed I will play about with setting and turn down from Ultra to High. There are usually guides out there that tell you which settings make most impact to image quality and performance these days to save time.

But as someone who is more than happy with 60fps I find I hardly ever need to turn anything down on my 3070. Most of the time it is RT stuff tanking fps, hence why I want a 4070/4080. Hopefully those cards provide a much bigger uplift in RT than Ampere did. Should do really as Nvidia are jumping to latest TSMC manufacturing process. Last time it was stuck behind on ”8nm” Samsung. So should be a big jump.

Caporegime
I believe @MissChief is running his 3080 on a 650w just fine?

Depending on what fps you're happy with and what settings one is willing to use, a 3080 does not have enough grunt for 1440p for high refresh rate gaming, it's fantastic for 60hz but not 100+hz/fps. I have several titles where even with dlss quality/balanced, it doesn't achieve a locked 80 fps (my ideal fps limit) especially in RT unless sacrifices are made to settings. However, what I will say is the latest version of dlss is fantastic on performance mode if you really want to push fps without sacrificing graphical settings, a lot more usable than when I last tried it, at least this is in cp 2077 anyway.
5950x too. My 3080 is a 10Gb model though.

Soldato
OP
Well 5700X and 3080 both installed and running great.

On fortnite @ 1440p the 1070ti did about 65fps on a mix of epic and high settings. Changing the CPU first it went up to around 85fps then swapping in the 3080 its gets about 180fps with DLSS enabled on full epic settings.

Not tried RTX settings yet but will do later.

Seeing about 450W draw from the wall when gaming so far.

Associate

On fortnite @ 1440p the 1070ti did about 65fps on a mix of epic and high settings. Changing the CPU first it went up to around 85fps then swapping in the 3080 its gets about 180fps with DLSS enabled on full epic settings.

you could knock 50-100w off the gpu pwoer draw by using msi aftrerburner and setting boost clocks and voltages manually, i have mine running at 1860 mhz at 875mv, uses around 80w less than stock, runs cooler with maybe 1-2 fps loss tops

Caporegime

Very nice improvement :cool:

DLSS is a game changer.

As mentioned above, get undervolting, ampere undervolt extremely well, can knock of about 90-100w whilst still getting the same performance. I have my 3080 @ 1815 with an undervolt of .825

Test RT workloads to determine stability though.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Very nice improvement :cool:

DLSS is a game changer.

As mentioned above, get undervolting, ampere undervolt extremely well, can knock of about 90-100w whilst still getting the same performance. I have my 3080 @ 1815 with an undervolt of .825

Test RT workloads to determine stability though.
I say make two profiles. One for RT and one for Rasta! When I had my 3080 the profiles I had were rock solid on non rt games would occasionally crash when using RT games. In particular it was Cyberpunk. I played that game on stock on release to minimise any crashes as there was already a few before we got some patches.

With the Rasta profile you can be a lot more aggressive and get better power savings.

Caporegime
I say make two profiles. One for RT and one for Rasta! When I had my 3080 the profiles I had were rock solid on non rt games would occasionally crash when using RT games. In particular it was Cyberpunk. I played that game on stock on release to minimise any crashes as there was already a few before we got some patches.

With the Rasta profile you can be a lot more aggressive and get better power savings.
Too much faff for me :p

Back
Top Bottom