• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 Very low 1% lows

Associate
Hi everyone,

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this please? My max FPS are great It's my 1% lows that go down to 6FPS on times making my games stutter like mad I've just done a reinstall of windows and on the latest chipset/Video/audio drivers

It's the same if I play at 1080p/1440p/2160p

My Specs are

5800x
16gb ram
Gigabyte X570
MSI RTX 4070
Samsung 980 pro NVME
Corsair 850w Gold

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you running any 3rd party utilities or software next to your games? could be anything from interfaces for your mouse/keyboard to something entirely different.
Nothing at all only running Steam for may games with no overlays only Frame view also tried MSi afterburner just to monitor usage. I.ve been noticing Stuttering on desktop while moving windows around or opening something now and then but not as much as in game. This happens on Win11 and Win10 fresh installs with everything up to date driver wise

Associate
OP
These are definitely 1% lows rather than 0.1% lows?

In MSI afterburner, track all the stats. When you get these stutters, check what is happening to GPU, CPU and memory clocks.

Also is this a new system? If not, what has changed?
Had the the system for about 1 year same specs apart from GPU which was a GTX 1660ti upgraded to the RTX 4070 because I was having the same issues with my old card thinking it will solve the problem going to the 4070 but still same issue, Yeah it's the 1% lows not 0.1%?

Associate
OP
Ahh yes, I've had that problem myself. My gigabyte boards have had a tendency every 4-6 months to go a bit ape and the solution for me has been to reflash the bios even if it's the same bios going on the board(once it was enough to load defaults). Not saying it's the same for you but this ain't a windows problem since you've tried both fresh win11 and win10. Outside of this I would perhaps make sure everything is mounted correctly, not loose but not over tightened.
I.ve done that already I even tried a older version bios just in case then went back to the latest with no joy

Associate
OP
install GeForce experience and let it optimize games for you just incase you have some random setting all cocked up,

But TBF things like this in my experience are not GPU related but down to other hardwear stuttering. for me normally CPU related
if you have any OC or undervolt remover it.
if you have been playing with ram timings / speed... reset it.
MY bios has set PBO to auto shall I disable that?

Associate
OP
i would have a look at the firmware version on the ssd you have and also have a look at your bios version, you mention that your old setup had similar problems, were you using the 980 pro ssd back then?.

Kinda a long shot but it could be a faulty ssd, when the 980's first came out there were reports of laggy/stuttering behaviour in windows and games and it was found to be a faulty batch of ssd's from samsung were to blame, a firmare upadate was released and it was highly recommended to install asap, the drives that were affected were the 2tb versions but lower capacity were also impacted, if your drive has firmare verison 3B2QGXA7, you need to update, download a program called samasung magician, within in this program you can check firmare versions and update if outdated.
I Tried it on different SSD's drives to see if it was the drive but had the same problem, Do you recommend me installing the driver for my drive anyway just in case?

Associate
OP
Thanks again guys I've tried everything possible that you all said to solve the stutters in games but still no joy. and I might just go and buy the 5800X3D got a felling my CPU is the issue.

Appreciate all the help

Associate
OP
are you able to see what the cpu and gpu clocks drop to during the stutters, i'd hold off buying a x3d for the moment as you will need to check your bios version beforehand, x3d isnt suppoted out of box so if you did buy one and install chances it wont work, you need to look online on your motherboard support page and find the bios that has support for x3d and install first before the cpu!
I've Updated to the latest bios that supports the X3D I did try different bios version to see if that would fix the issue but back on the newest version now, I've read up on the 5800x paired with an 5800x and people are saying It's the cpu that's the bottleneck. I'm also on 3200mhz ram so might get a 32gb of 3600mhz as well?

Associate
OP
Fair enough, if you can find a decent priced set 2x16gb 3600mhz ddr4 then go for it, however if you swap the CPU and ram and still get the lag problems then it's troubleshooting the PSU as a first step. It seemes a decent unit, but I can't see how old it is?, unless you've said and I missed it
Thinking on getting these What you think? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...c4-28800c16-3600mhz-dual-chann-my-002-8p.html or these https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...pc4-25600c18-3600mhz-dual-chan-my-4d4-cs.html

My PSU is only about 4 months old

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What frame rates are you running at on average?

Throwing parts at a problem I don't think is the answer. You said you had the problem with a 1660ti, the GPU is the bottleneck there, not the 5800x or 3200mhz memory.
On my 1660ti the max and average fps were a lot lower compared to my 4070 but my 1% lows were better on the 1660ti with no stutters, on the 4070 my 1% lows hit around 6/15 every 20 seconds ish?

Associate
OP
have you enabled high performance mode within the nvidia control panel, its a weird issue tbh, 1080 to 1440p gaming should be solid, only 4k would you start to have issues like ram running out if you like to run with max settings in games, i'm a 4k gamer and with 32gb of ddr5 the max i have ever seen was around 25gb and that was in cyberpunk2077, my other games at 4k sit around 14-18gb usage, mind you my gpu has 24gb's of ram to use.
I've set my games in Nvidia panel to prefer maximum performance for power management mode and high performance mode for texture filtering mode also tried windows high performance mode and Balanced mode but no joy

Back
Top Bottom