• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070Ti no display, BIOS issue?

Associate
Hi all,

I’ve purchased an ASUS TUF 4070ti, upgrading from a Gigabyte 2080.

I swapped them over yesterday and powered the PC on. The 4070 RGB lights up and the fans on it spin but there is no output to the monitor, not even the POST screen.

It’s being powered by a Corsair AX750 modular PSU and I’m using 2 separate 8-pin (6+2) power connectors from the PSU to the GPU (via the included adapter) as recommended. The motherboard is an ASUS Prime Z390M-Plus.

If i connect to onboard graphics I can see that the 4070 isn’t detected in device manager in Windows. I’ve removed all drivers using DDU in safe mode but when trying to reinstall the latest drivers it states there is no compatible graphics card installed, I therefore cannot install them.

I’ve reinstalled the drivers with the 2080 connected, then re-installed the 4070 but the issue persists.

As I can’t even see the POST screen I don’t believe it’s a Windows/driver issue though…

When accessing the BIOS and looking within Advanced/System Agent Configuration/PEG Port Configuration it shows “Not Present” against the PCIE port “PCIEX16_1”. Whereas with the 2080 installed it shows “x16” and sets the link speed to “Gen3” automatically.

I’m therefore assuming that it’s a BIOS issue and the GPU isn’t being detected. I’ve updated the BIOS to the latest version downloaded from the ASUS website, but no joy.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to another PC to try the card in.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Hoping it’s not a dead card!

Have you tried different pcie slot? Different cable?
There is another PCIE slot, but there’s not enough clearance below it for it to fit there.

However, I’m pretty sure it’s not the PCIE slot, PSU cables, display cables or monitors as if I put the 2080 back in it’s place it all works fine

There is another PCIE slot, but there’s not enough clearance below it for it to fit there.

However, I’m pretty sure it’s not the PCIE slot, PSU cables, display cables or monitors as if I put the 2080 back in it’s place it all works fine
I’m thinking it’s either a faulty GPU (hopefully not) or a BIOS setting somewhere that’s making it unable to detect it…

I’m thinking it’s either a faulty GPU (hopefully not) or a BIOS setting somewhere that’s making it unable to detect it…

Have you cleared the BIOS to defaults ? Try the BIOS clear on the motherboard either a button or a jumper and remove the battery too for a while say 5 mins while the jumper is set to clear BIOS and remember to set it back to normal before starting the pc as it will not post correctly.

Last edited:
Try flicking the VBIOS switch on the graphics card too as a test to rule out a corrupt VBIOS too, second one may allow the system to post.

Also try HDMI and DP to the monitor as a test too, to rule out the motherboard not detecting VGA error too.

Have you cleared the BIOS to defaults ? Try the BIOS clear on the motherboard either a button or a jumper and remove the battery too for a while say 5 mins while the jumper is set to clear BIOS and remember to set it back to normal before starting the pc as it will not post correctly.
I’ve set BIOS to defaults via the in-BIOS “set to optimised defaults” option. But not via the mobo button. I’ll give that a try and report back

Try flicking the VBIOS switch on the graphics card too as a test to rule out a corrupt VBIOS too, second one may allow the system to post.

Also try HDMI and DP to the monitor as a test too, to rule out the motherboard not detecting VGA error too.
Would this be the “performance” vs “quiet” switch on the GPU?

Quick question: do the 4000-series GPUs require a PCIE 4.0 slot?! I’m seeing conflicting info online…

My mobo only has 3.0 slots, so that may be the issue?

Quick question: do the 4000-series GPUs require a PCIE 4.0 slot?! I’m seeing conflicting info online…

My mobo only has 3.0 slots, so that may be the issue?
Nope they should work even on a Gen 1, Gen2, Gen3, Gen4 and Gen5 PCIE specs they will just reduce the performance due to bottlenecks and GEN3 will not bottleneck a 4070ti.

I had a weird incident when I got my 3070ti, put the card in, connected everything up, powered on the pc, lights etc all on..no display?

I tried changing cables, plugging / unplugging etc..still nothing.

so, I pushed the power button on the case to turn the pc off, pushed it back on again, and boom, display! :confused:

just by luck I tried that first, as I was about to disconnect and start troubleshooting, (reseating, checking power cables etc..)

sometimes pc‘s can be fussy little bugers.

Back
Top Bottom