• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070Ti no display, BIOS issue?

Associate
OP
I think your issue is the motherboard not recognising the new gpu or the card is DOA, rule out card in another working pc with more recent specs for the motherboard.

This is all looking like a motherboard not liking the new gpu and why I always do a full update if I have an older system as things like this happen more often than not. Get the card tested on a more recent pc or return for refund and try another card from another brand and see if that helps if not then if you really want that gpu time to update motherboard too then if no othermotherboard BIOS updates available for it to recognise the new 40 series gpus.
agreed. mobo is clearly not recognising the card, its just wether thats due to it being DOA or a compatibility issue. At this point with all the testing etc I cant see it being a BIOS setting causing it

I was in a situation having bought a Red Devil Ltd edition of their 6800XT cards. It performed great in all the AAA titles I tested. But in several Indie games I played its performance was on par, or worse, than the 1080Ti I used previously. I used the AMD support forums, not much use, and tried a fresh copy of W11 and W10. Not much changed at all. However I did return the card just within the 14 days return window and had a refund. Moving over to a 3070 and all was well.
The point I'm making is that even tho I wanted the 6800XT to work as I expected it to the 14 days ease of return window was the deciding factor on how long I would try to achieve that.
It just made things easier, but not the answer I initially wanted.
yeah, ill test it in another PC today/tomorrow if possible but either way it doesnt work in my PC so will most likely get a refund then either try a MSI/Gigabyte 4070ti instead and or go for the full mobo/CPU/RAM upgrade i've been putting off

Soldato
True on the slots but if
A 3090ti could bottleneck pci 3.0 and this card is (supposed to) compete with that, what info have you drawn your conclusion from?
A 3090ti doesn't bottleneck pcie 3.0 even a 4090 doesn't really see any meaningful difference from gen 3.0 - 4.0

Soldato
A 3090ti doesn't bottleneck pcie 3.0 even a 4090 doesn't really see any meaningful difference from gen 3.0 - 4.0

I didn't bother replying to that because it takes a simple google to see that, but some don't like to do their own research it seems. No gpu is getting bottlenecked by pcie 3.0 x16 lanes even the 4090. I run 2 x 3090s at pcie 4.0 x8 x 2 and no bottlenecks.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
id email asus support and see what they say about ur mb and gpu combo and any issues reported.
I contacted them last night but no response as of yet, also hearing that their support is god awful and theyll just request i sent it to them for testing lol.

Gonna just fire it back to OC i think and start putting together a fresh build with a Z790 board...

Man of Honour
I contacted them last night but no response as of yet, also hearing that their support is god awful and theyll just request i sent it to them for testing lol.

Gonna just fire it back to OC i think and start putting together a fresh build with a Z790 board...

Yeah just go via OcUK if you can - Asus support are, at least the last time I had anything to do with them, dire and if you send a card back to them chances are you'll get some ropey refurbished card back with some other issues.

Associate
OP
Still nothing from OCUK (or ASUS support) will have to call OCUK for an RMA number.

Sidenote: hypothetically, if i was to start an updated/upgraded build is there a general consesnsus as to which is the best mobo manufacturer in terms of support and putting out BIOS updates etc?

Soldato
Still nothing from OCUK (or ASUS support) will have to call OCUK for an RMA number.

Sidenote: hypothetically, if i was to start an updated/upgraded build is there a general consesnsus as to which is the best mobo manufacturer in terms of support and putting out BIOS updates etc?

Long term? It's hard to tell.

I think sockets which get new CPUs are more likely to be supported longer. They would have to be updated when CPUs come out.

Soldato

This might not be a measure of much but I also have a Z390 board, not used in my main PC, and it is a Gigabyte type. The latest, probably last, BIOS for that was released on the 29th November 2021. Overall I have tended to like Gigabyte's boards, being familiar, to a point, with them probably helps. But their UK support has been great for me when needed in the past. That is something you do not plan to need, but when I have used them their contact and turnaround for a motherboard repair was very good.
That doesn't count as a typical response, or them being the "best", but it was mine :)

Have you RMA'd the card or tested it out yet in your brothers PC..? If you were not bothered about a system change before I would not think about doing one before trying out another brand or model GPU first. Seems a lot of money to potentially waste that you hadn't wanted to spend at this time.

Associate
OP
Have you RMA'd the card or tested it out yet in your brothers PC..? If you were not bothered about a system change before I would not think about doing one before trying out another brand or model GPU first. Seems a lot of money to potentially waste that you hadn't wanted to spend at this time.
I've called them this morning and got an RMA number, as I'd heard nothing back on the web tickets.

I didn't bother testing it in his PC in the end as I figured: If it works, then yes i know it's not DOA, but it still doesn't work in my PC so would have to go back for refund/exchange. Then if it doesn't work it's not necessarily a proper test (depending on the spec of his PC) and it would again need to go back anyway.

So figured I'd return it for a refund then that gives me time to decide wether to purchase a new one (same or different model) and/or go the PC upgrade route.

But yeah, I was already thinking about a PC upgrade as I'm on a Z390 board, DDR3 RAM and an 8700K. Might just use the funds from the GPU return to get a new mobo/CPU/RAM (roughly equivalent cost) then decide down the line what to do GPU wise...

Soldato
@tompitt87 At least if you decide to use your funds towards a system upgrade it gives you time to consider your GPU options. Perhaps, by mid Feb or March we might see some favourable changes in the pricing of some of those cards, or maybe not.........

Associate
OP
@tompitt87 At least if you decide to use your funds towards a system upgrade it gives you time to consider your GPU options. Perhaps, by mid Feb or March we might see some favourable changes in the pricing of some of those cards, or maybe not.........
very true, or at least youd hope there would be further BIOS/firmware/driver updates to resolve the issues a lot of people are having

Associate
OP
UPDATE: Went all in for the upgrades I'd been putting off. New mobo (Gigabyte Z790), RAM, CPU and PSU

Mobo updated to lastest BIOS, released this month.

4070ti still gives no display. DOA confirmed!

Associate
Hi all,

I’ve purchased an ASUS TUF 4070ti, upgrading from a Gigabyte 2080.

I swapped them over yesterday and powered the PC on. The 4070 RGB lights up and the fans on it spin but there is no output to the monitor, not even the POST screen.

It’s being powered by a Corsair AX750 modular PSU and I’m using 2 separate 8-pin (6+2) power connectors from the PSU to the GPU (via the included adapter) as recommended. The motherboard is an ASUS Prime Z390M-Plus.

If i connect to onboard graphics I can see that the 4070 isn’t detected in device manager in Windows. I’ve removed all drivers using DDU in safe mode but when trying to reinstall the latest drivers it states there is no compatible graphics card installed, I therefore cannot install them.

I’ve reinstalled the drivers with the 2080 connected, then re-installed the 4070 but the issue persists.

As I can’t even see the POST screen I don’t believe it’s a Windows/driver issue though…

When accessing the BIOS and looking within Advanced/System Agent Configuration/PEG Port Configuration it shows “Not Present” against the PCIE port “PCIEX16_1”. Whereas with the 2080 installed it shows “x16” and sets the link speed to “Gen3” automatically.

I’m therefore assuming that it’s a BIOS issue and the GPU isn’t being detected. I’ve updated the BIOS to the latest version downloaded from the ASUS website, but no joy.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to another PC to try the card in.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Hoping it’s not a dead card!
Hello what power is your pcu they need a minimum of 750w I think

Associate
I thought twice about posting this as you seem to have committed to renewing all your components - but I noticed you run two screens and are mixing DP and HDMI connectors. Did you try with just a single screen to test if you got an output? I have had major issues in the past mixing both output types but moving everything to a common output (preferably DP) sorted everything. Despite the marketing waffle the two technologies generally do not co-exist happily in a gaming/high performance environment.

If you get the same issues with a new card, try single screen DP as a test to see if it's working.

Good luck and please report back how you get on.

Back
Top Bottom