***Rugby Super League XXV***

Associate
NRL restarts today!

All games played behind closed doors and all 8 games of the round live on Sky Sports Mix over the weekend.

Some minor rule changes. They have gone back to 1 referee (but it was only ever 1 ref in international rules anyway) and they are trialling just restarting the tackle count for offences in the tackle (eg holding down, hands on the ball etc) rather than a penalty. Teams were routinely giving penalties away in their own 20m to allow themselves to reset thier defence. Not sure about this, but lets see how it goes. I can see it working (when your lungs are coming out of your ears and you're defending the 20th tackle on your own line), but coaches are probably already thinking how they can use it to their advantage

Soldato
Anyone else worried about Super League clubs surviving? I go a few Wolves games with the kids but we're not season ticket holders but obviously they're losing match day revenue. Same goes for SS money. Widnes last year collapsed, granted not an SL team, but it's not like football for income.

Leeds reporting an estimated £4M loss over the next year. That's a whopping amount for a SL club. I'd guesstimate that there are a handful of teams that will be able to swallow the costs, and I'm looking here at a select few, Saints, Wolves, Wigan, maybe Leeds, and that's only going by the signals of their intentions I'm getting through their commitments to some big signings. They're the more affluent clubs so expect them to be OK. The others I worry about, my club, Hull KR included. Hull FC are releasing their more expensive players from their contracts with the likes of Albert Kelly returning home, and they still have not appointed a full time head coach!

Some estimates that it will cost £5000 a match for a club to cover the cost of testing. On top of that, you'd have a slightly reduced TV income, and no fans at games! For some clubs, just starting playing again will be crippling, having to take their players off furlough just to train.

It amazes me that clubs like Salford are still going. We heard ages ago about their money troubles with the doctor pulling out his funds but they are still here and recruiting strongly - it baffles me, to be honest. Especially with their really low crowd numbers, I've no idea how they fund their team!

RL museum to be located in Huddersfield, I get the sentimentality and all that, but it really should be somewhere like Manchester. With all due respect, nobody is going to go on a day out to Huddersfield and visit the museum. I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem wise.

On a more positive note, the NRL back is great and how awesome is Josh Hodgson still! Absolutely ripping it up!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Fortunately for Catalans, the local government are holding up their end of the deal regarding sponsorship income and the like. So at least les Dracs aren't facing a shortfall there. They're actually pretty bullish about getting rugby going again at Stade Brutus, they're allowed to play in front of a crowd not exceeding 5,000 (a little under half capacity, but better than nothing).

Associate
The NRL games have been great. Be interesting to see how SL looks behind closed doors. One or two of the NRL teams have re-started pretty slowly, be interesting to see which of the SL teams can hit the ground running

Restarting the tackle count for PTB offences seems to be working in the NRL. Noticeable that teams are more than willing to lie on etc in tackles 1 or 2.

Soldato
WOW. Toronto Wolfpack have officially withdrawn from Superleague 2020. I'm gobsmacked by that news. That'll take a while for me to understand what's going on. They were Hull KR's first fixture back. Gobsmacked, especially since they have the likes of SBW on their payroll.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
In retrospect Super League clearly wasn't ready for the logistics of a team in North America, and even before coronavirus Toronto had troubles in the background.

Should'a promoted Toulouse :)

Soldato
Since this news was announced, to say I’ve been surprised by the turn of events is an understatement and it has taken me quite a while to digest it all.

There have been mistakes in handling this, in which you can rightly place blame on Toronto themselves, the Super League and RLF, and Covid-19.

Toronto have clearly been mismanaged, players being consistently payed late and Visa issues. This is clearly undeniable. They have also made grievous mistakes with recruitment, particularly with respect to the number of players in their squad. It was clearly insufficient.

The SL and the RFL have been simply preposterous in their treatment stipulations imposed upon Toronto. This partly comes down to the ill thought through implementation of expansionism in the first place, the stipulations put to Toronto that they not take any SL money, but above all that, I believe it has been the forsaken attitude towards them.

And this attitude has been largely reflected within the Rugby League community in the northern hemisphere. You only have to glance back at half the posts in this thread to realise how toxic (yes, toxic) some attitudes are. If I were David Argyle, I wouldn’t be holding any guilt over what they’ve done in discrediting the competition. They have been made to feel unwelcome and despised on a colossal scale from day 1. True you could argue that Toronto should never have agreed to the terms of entering the league. They did agree to the terms, but maybe that had to if that was the only way they could get in – what option do you have? They have not been welcomed, received absolutely no support despite bring much needed publicity to the sport. It seems a drastic option to take, but in many respects, I don’t blame them.

Covid-19 has definitely not helped. They have not been able to furlough their staff and through no fault of their own, they can no longer play any home games. Granted you may not be able to play them in front of live audiences, but imagine for a moment if Wigan, Warrington or Saint Helen’s were told that they could no longer play any home games. The RFL could well have saved this had they made the decision about promotion and relegation sooner – Toronto may have been able to make the decision that they could have ridden it out and continued to put money forward in investing in the squad knowing they are in a stable position.

For a team that brought an extra 10,000 fans, made big money headline catching signings (Leutele and SBW), creating noise and commotion, riled the old guard and generated some international excitement that companies like Sky will be keen to show, to then have to deal with the raft of dross that they have been exposed to: well, good on them. With all due respect to the likes of Featherstone and Batley, they just aren’t attractive to organisations like Sky and they just won’t be able to generate the revenue to grow the sport beyond its borders.

The TV deal up for renegotiation next year has taken a massive hit now. You don’t grow the sport and the finances of the situation by showing small teams like Featherstone and Batley. The TV money will be reduced, the sponsorship won’t be there, and the sport will shrink. Fact. This could well act as a catalyst to throw the sport into the shadows for a very long period of time. With the fact that relegation and promotion has been scrapped, I don’t see how this prohibits Toronto for entering back into the SL in 2021, given the extreme hardships placed on them by Covid-19 and other circumstances. I highly doubt they would go back to another couple of years in the lower leagues and work their way back up again. What’s the point in spending 3 years messing about in the squalor of lower leagues, when frankly they could be fast tracked to SL, particularly given the extreme circumstances affecting the whole world.

For me, this is a strong case for bringing back licencing for 2021.

As experienced by Hull KR these past few years, the constant threat of relegation looms like a dark cloud every year, with the club unable to make commitments to potential signings until all the other clubs that are already safe have picked over them first, leaving the weaker teams weaker. Without the threat of relegation, clubs can make proper financial plans for the signings they make but also to know that they can blood younger players or those from academy sides into the first team, without the immense pressure upon their shoulders of the consequences of doing so. It allows for younger player development, stable investment and potential growth of home-grown players. Yes, people will be frothing at the fact that there is no promotion and relegation, but frankly it has not done the NRL much harm has it? I appreciate that you potentially get meaningless games towards the latter half of the season, but the financial stability and clubs’ survival, particularly in the times of Covid-19, is an absolute priority now, not the structuring of the league.

It also gives expansionism a chance.

In my opinion, SL is a worse competition for not expansionist teams in the league. SL will always benefit from an image point of view with teams like London in it, bringing profile (albeit small at the moment). Same to be said for Toulouse, a well-run club that could provide some local rivalry with the Catalan Dragons. You could potentially make good arguments for York and Bradford too (provided the latter is owned and operated proficiently – there is still a big audience for their team should they be able to prove themselves stable and worthy of a franchise).

There will be arguments made that there simply isn’t a player pool to support such an expanded league, but that certainly hasn’t been exhibited when London got promoted and pushed Rovers right to the wire in that final game. They were certainly competitive enough, beyond all expectation. I appreciate that this won’t be the same experience for all promoted clubs, but it was a good demonstration.

This argument will also get flack on the basis that it would “kill the Championship” for good. It certainly wouldn’t be good for some teams, but you could argue about how many teams in the Championship have genuine ambitions for being a SL team right now or at any time in the last 10 years?

There you go. Rip me to shreds!

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP

In the main, absolutely agreed.

Regarding fan opinion, I have to say as a Dragons fan that I'm not in the slightest bit shocked that fans of the M62 corridor clubs didn't take to the idea of Toronto joining. They kicked off about a London club, they really kicked off about a French club once Dragons stopped being a reliable punching bag after the first year, and it was absolutely to be expected because a lot of them don't want expansion at all. They want the sport to stay happily ensconced in that M62 bubble so they can just travel East <-> West in the north of England for those game weeks.

For me, this is a strong case for bringing back licencing for 2021.

So much this, but this time actually apply the rules properly (consistently). Dragons had a condition for their three year locked-in franchise when they first joined Super League - spend money on Stade Brutus. Which they did. Meanwhile, other clubs let their stadiums (stadia?) pretty much sink into the abyss in favour of spending cash on transfers and wages.

***edit***

Almost forgot. Gigot's joining Trinity. Hope he fares well there :) But I do kinda hope he ends back up wearing sang et or colours one day!

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
*excitement intensifies*

:D

***edit***

Not the performance or result that I was hoping for. Too many handling errors, too many soft tries given away. Still, screw it - Super League is back :)

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
14 - 16 at half time, you think to yourself "well, it's tight but we've got a good chance". And then we nil Tigers in the second half and fair run away with it 14 -40. A nice remedy for the St Helens loss the other day :cool:

***edit***

The tries:

Tigers couldn't deal with the pace of Folau or Davies.

Full highlights:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom