Rugby union?

Soldato
For me it’s age. I’m 43 now and after 25+ seasons I find the intensity of some contact training too hard on the joints and muscles. Ironically at the level I play the games are easier on the joints. But yes when I’m fitter it will be easier but old muscles ain’t as springy as they once were.

Soldato
OP
I'm hoping to keep going until I'm about 46/47. 35 now, and last season was my first season back since schoolboy.

Know what you mean to a degree with training vs games, since training with the 1sts is a bit more intense than playing with the 2nds at times.

Soldato
If you’ve had a break (even if it’s the off season), it’s really important to start gradually with contact. It is however really important to get contact in and refresh the muscle memory for tackling technique (both giving and receiving!). My worst rugby injury was in training.

My fitness is way off at the moment. Not sure I’m going to get a decent shot at this season due to ridiculous work commitments. Perhaps the 20/21 season will mark my glorious return.

Soldato
OP
I've played against a 62 year old. He played the full 80 minutes both games (2nd game they had subs too), and whilst he didn't have any pace, he was tough. Best prop I've played against in my brief front row career was 50, and had clearly come from the 1sts, 2nds to the thirds.

Soldato
England up against the (unofficial) number 1 ranked team in the world today. It’s going to be interesting for sure! EJ has taken some selection gambles and I’m concerned there’s a lot of behind the scenes politics and character assessments that have governed the selection. There are a lot of very experienced internationals who aren’t getting on the plane to Japan which slightly concerns me... perhaps he’s building for 2023?

Soldato
I hope Curry's shoulder is ok because every time he pulls on an England shirt he gets better and better, a true world class player in the making. All the more enjoyable when I think back to the beanpoles that he and his twin were when they won the Zack Mercer captained Under 20s world cup.

All in all an ok performance from England, good lines on first and second phase but yet again defence as all over the place. Wales looked over trained and exhausted but I suspect that is part of Gatland's plan as come the latter stages of the World Cup their fitness levels should be that few percent above every body else's which will allow them to grind teams down as is their current want.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Tom Curry has been awesome, though I was looking forward to seeing him and Underhill playing together.

I still find it strange that Ben Curry plays 7 for Sale while Tom plays 6... Also not sure why Ben isn't in the England squad?

Soldato
England Rugby World Cup Squad for Japan 2019

Forwards:

Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps)

Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps)

Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 10 caps)

Jamie George (Saracens, 37 caps) *

Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27 caps)

George Kruis (Saracens, 32 caps) *

Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59 caps) *

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 72 caps) **

Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)

Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58 caps) *

Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22 caps)

Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1 cap)

Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)

Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42 caps) *

Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps) *

Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons / Sale Sharks, 13 caps)

Backs:

Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 5 caps)

Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31 caps)

Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70 caps) *

George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps) *

Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)

Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)

Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 41 caps) *

Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps) *

Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 33 caps) *

Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps) *

Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 33 caps) *

Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 34 caps) *

Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

* number of Rugby World Cup tournaments played

Well played Lewis Ludlum that's a well earned chance and I suspect an England mainstay for some years to come. Looking forward to seeing McConnochie on 15-a-side Interantional field but has obviously shown enough in training to demonstrate his Sevens pedigree is translating as well as it looked for Bath last season.

For me a good squad with no great surprises for the main 22 who'll be doing the big shift of the work for the important games (just what 2nd row do you pick??? we're so blessed in that position)

Soldato
@TheMightyTen I must say I think that squad is unbalanced in a few areas but otherwise good.

Given that Itoje or Lawes could play 6 against one of the weaker group games there might be too many back rowers. Also needs 3 of each front row player by having only Sinkler and Cole at tighthead is a big risk given they will be playing in every single game.

Likewise we need 3 scrumhalves for the same reason, we have too many centres or back 3 players. Fly half is ok with 2 players given that Farrell can cover centre and Slade can cover FH. Equally Daly and Nowell can cover outside centre easily and Daly probably reserve FH for one of the weaker group games. I would take that squad but drop McConnochie and Joseph for an extra scrumhalf and a tight head.

The idea Youngs, Heinz, Sinkler and Cole are going to play every single match (because prop and scrum half never complete a match) is just wrongheaded for me. Two fly halves is less of a risk because one guy can play an entire match and there are two players from other positions that could close the game out for one of the weaker matches.

edit: on reflection back row numbers is fine.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I @PlacidCasual I agree with the need for an additional prop. I think 2 scrum halves is OK. I do think we need plenty of back row players because they seem to take the most knocks. Personally, I would drop McConnochie and/or Francis to add an additional prop, and I would prefer to include Cipriani. Also, Heinz would not have been my choice... if Ben Youngs is struggling to control a game or unlock a defence, I'm not convinced that bringing Heinz on will offer much different... would prefer Ben Spencer.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I picked up on an interesting comment from EJ on Monday... He picked his squad by first selecting his first XV, and then the rest of the squad considering form and temperament to accept that they will be getting less game time than the first team players... This could be why Cipriani missed out?

Soldato
There are a lot of very good players who haven't made the squad, Cipriani is just one.

Haven't seen much of Ludlum so a bit surprised Dombrandt didn't make the squad.

End of the day, it's a good squad. Especially happy to see JJ back. Should be a cracking WC.

Man of Honour
There are a lot of very good players who haven't made the squad, Cipriani is just one.
This is true, and I am probably biased here being a Gloucester season ticket holder, but he's won player of the month numerous times and loads of other accoladedes yet to me EJ point blank refuses to bring him into the team yet he's always maintained it's nothing to do with his off the pitch incident last summer. I guess it must be the fact that he Cips isn't really a strong fly half in terms of tacking compared to the others. Agreed, the WC should be good and I'm really looking forward to the new Premiership season starting, I've had so many free weekends but it'll be good to get back to Kingsholm with beer in hand and meeting the usual bunch who I only really see out for the Rugby.

Back
Top Bottom