Rugby union?

Soldato
To be fair he has involved him in the wider squad a few times...maybe there's just a personality clash of something.

Looking forward to new premiership season too, I'm moving back to the UK next month, so I can finally get to some games. Used to be a Quins ticket holder, but I'm moving to the Midlands, so will make do with all the away games, plenty of them in the area!

Man of Honour
I guess the Ricoh won't be too far from you? It was okay but no atmosphere after the game as all the bars and stadium close. Best away day by far I've done is Exeter, really good fun, great fans and bars.

Soldato
I guess the Ricoh won't be too far from you? It was okay but no atmosphere after the game as all the bars and stadium close. Best away day by far I've done is Exeter, really good fun, great fans and bars.

Welford Road will be nearest, looking forward to going there, but think our away fixture is next year. Franklin Gardens in November though :)

Wasps are a funny one, first season in the Ricoh they had big noisy crowds (seemed so on TV anyway)...but they're been pretty poor lately and the stadium's seemed quite empty.

Obviously West country clubs aren't too far either, Bath, Glaws, Wuss, Bristol I need to tick off.

Associate
Guys, all you who play rugby, can I ask a few questions:

I am 42 now and would love to start playing again. I haven't played since I was at school, and even then I didn't play much. So it would be fair to say I would be fairly new to the game. Is there anywhere for someone like me to get started? My fitness levels and strength are pretty good. Do they do 'veterans' leagues like they do with football?

I just wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks

Soldato
Veterans games can be ruthless because everyone is very experienced but the speed is at least slower. You might find playing for a local 3rd team easier. Because whilst there will be quick youngsters they won’t be very skilful. Depends on your fitness level. If you’re fit go for a low level seniors team. If you’re a bit unfit go for veterans but expect to be out of your depth technically.

Btw I’m 43 and still playing and the physicality doesn’t worry me. But I do have nearly 30 seasons under my belt.

Soldato
Definitely start with a low level seniors team if you’re fit. You’ll get much more time on the ball and they’re not usually as physical in terms of big hits. As long as you’re not planning to play in the front row or at fly half in your first game you’ll be fine. Most clubs are crying out for new players so get stuck in! Good luck with it!

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Guys, all you who play rugby, can I ask a few questions:

I am 42 now and would love to start playing again. I haven't played since I was at school, and even then I didn't play much. So it would be fair to say I would be fairly new to the game. Is there anywhere for someone like me to get started? My fitness levels and strength are pretty good. Do they do 'veterans' leagues like they do with football?

I just wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks

Look for a local club that includes a 4th team, and get along to pre-season training and see how you cope. Possibly see if the club has regular touch rugby, maybe one night a week.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Thoughts on a world cup winner? NZ got it in the bag IMHO.

You can never rule out NZ, but I think SA are looking very good right now. England have the ability, but a lot falls to temperament and leadership, which could be their downfall. Despite their recent run and #1 ranking, I don't reckon Wales will win the World Cup because their record versus top 6 teams away from home is not good (they haven't won a big game away from home since the last World Cup).

Soldato
I can't decide on New Zealand, a bit of me thinks their average performance (by their standards) recently are because they are trying to master a new playing style with two playmakers and a high skilled passing game. A bit of me thinks this isn't their best team and some of the current players whilst still excellent are a shade below what they had 4 and 8 years ago so game on.

South Africa look a much more threatening outfit, Australia are plainly good but are they good enough to beat 3 top teams on the bounce with South Africa or New Zealand being at least one of them. Dunno?

Wales and Ireland flatter to deceive for me. They are unquestionably good sides but their game is so limited I can't see them beating any two of the top 3 SH teams on the bounce.

England are broken. They look like a World beating team on song and a disaster off it. With nothing in between. I think they are unable to change their game or play what's in front of them well enough. One bad result in the groups and they're out. Then if the make it out they'll struggle to a losing semi-final, all blood and guts heroic crap that was never going to win. If I was being exceptionally mean spirited I would say they are hamstrung by the presence of Farrell who is excellent but seems to limit the team development. Oh and Jones falling out with all the players you might choose to change the shape of your game.

France, who the hell knows? Scotland will scare someone decent for a while but ultimately can't control themselves or a game.

Argentina, look tasty at times can see the making the Semi's

Soldato
Thoughts on a world cup winner? NZ got it in the bag IMHO.

NZ
Aus
Eng
SA
Ireland
Wales
France

In that order I reckon. Very close though, and I think all those teams are well capable of beating each other, but in terms of putting together a run of results to win a WC.

Wales are still at that stage where a win against a SH side is a 'big deal' and they get tense and mentally drain themselves. Eng and Ireland are much more comfortable leading against SH sides.

Soldato
Powercut here at half time...England looked the better side first half. Text commentary tells me it's turned into a pants down spanking second half.

Got some serious firepower in this England starting XV.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Wow, Ireland just got destroyed!

However, I think the pattern continues... When England are on top they really shine right now, but I still worry about their ability to turn a game around when plan A isn't working.

alx

alx

Soldato
Wow, Ireland just got destroyed!

However, I think the pattern continues... When England are on top they really shine right now, but I still worry about their ability to turn a game around when plan A isn't working.

Styles of play seem to be something Jones is trying to address, England have played multiple ways since the summer tour to SA last year, e.g. running game vs SA, kicking game in 6N, multiple play makers with strike runners against Ireland etc.

What I can work out is whether Eddie has been forcing the team to stick to a game plan even when it isn't working (e.g. vs Wales in 6N) or whether they just can't adapt as you say. He seems to keep hinting at a big master plan but maybe that's giving him too much credit.

It also makes a massive difference to England when they have the likes of the Vunipolas, Itoje, Tuilagi, Cokanasiga playing as they're both great at giving go forward ball and creating space for others. Even Sinkler with his deft hands creates opportunities. Without these players England are a bit toothless, although they would walk into most teams!

Soldato
OP
Looks like we still have multiple styles of play, and are pretty useful at some of them.

Season has started again for me too, first pre-season last saturday and bloody hell my neck aches, some tough scrums and played the whole 80 since the usual 1sts tighthead couldn't play. We got beaten (team is a league above our firsts, and have only just got demoted into it), but I got myself a couple of tries which was fun. This Saturday is against our local rivals for the firsts, and a friendly against a touring team for the seconds. Not sure which team I'll be playing in yet.

Soldato
It's our first league game this week. Pre season was a bit mixed for us, some poor results, some good ones. Biggest challenge for us was getting our players available due to holidays etc. The friendly two weeks ago we had 28 players unavailable!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom