Rugby union?

Soldato
There needs to be major changes to the whole sport, it's dying at the moment. I've almost completely lost interest aside from the Six Nations, which has become incredibly stale.

In Europe they need to add relegation to the 6N and let the likes of Georgia come up and compete instead of the annual flogging of Italy. The second tier competition is already in place.

Globally the sport needs to change, get rid of the massive benches so forwards have to last 80 minutes. Make room for smaller, faster, more agile players. Get rid of the bloody caterpillar.

Get more Premiership rugby onto free-to-air television.

Agree with most of that. Don't mind the number of guys on bench they can have 15 for all I care but only allow 3 to be used per match with a special rule for front row forwards that if you swap one after your 3 allowed subs you have to swap another player off for the rest of the game.

Get rid of scrum penalties except for in the 22, make them free kicks and turn the clock off until the ball is put in straight.

Players have gotten too big and too often there is no space in the game.

Soldato
So they are going to 're-launch' the Premiership next season....have the guy from cricket's the Hundred on board.

It's a bit of a controversial opinion, but as someone that loves test cricket, I actually really like the Hundred. It's not perfect and the way it has been handled with respect to the clubs is crap, but it *is* a good competition and is pulling in crowds, the atmosphere is great, loads of younger spectators.

The big turn off for most people in rugby union, hearing from my partner and other non-rugby fans....is the rules. Everyone I know that follow rugby, has played the game, and really you need to to understand the nuances of the game. Cricket has a vast amount of depth and nuance to it, but it comes down to very simple rules, anyone know what a six is, and what splattered stumps mean.

Rugby is too often decided by a seemingly inocuous scrum penalty, and most of the, even ex-forward players like myself have absolutely no idea what happened to inform the decision. It's a massive turn off for most spectators that are new to the game. The scrum really needs to be sorted out.

Soldato
Borthwick now confirmed as new England Head Coach and Sinfield is coming with him. Really pleased with that, it's a good ppointment and should put some backbone back into a fairly limp tight five, who with the players that are in it really shouldn't be. Really looking forward to seeing what Kevin Sinfield will bring to the International setup, he has been immense for Leicester.

Also looks like Wiggy is finally hanging up his boots to become Leicester interim Head Coach, what a great servent to the game he has been.

Soldato
Will be an intersting 6N 3 teams having RL legends in the coaching setup, Andy Farrell in charge of arguably the best team in the World right now, Shaun Edwards doing for French defence what he did for Wales and now the new kid on the block Kevin Sinfield hopefully bringing some much needed solidity to Englands structures.

Man of Honour
Mrs and I off to Kingsholm on New Year’s Eve, really looking forward to it. It’ll be the first game we’ve been too together since December 2019 due to Covid/pregnancy/baby arrival.

Associate
Farrell citing.
If the attacker is bent double and leads with the head (as you have to unless your from Men in Black) how the hell is the tackler bent double meant to avoid the head without being run over?
I get player safety… but there is currently no obligation on the attacking player to keep themselves safe. It’s all on the defender.
The tackle area isn’t fair. Stick my head down and I become a victim.
Feel the same about tackles in the air… who can be one the victum?
If we are THAT concerned about player safety… ban jumping!

Last edited:
Soldato
Farrell citing.
If the attacker is bent double and leads with the head (as you have to unless your from Men in Black) how the hell is the tackler bent double meant to avoid the head without being run over?
Sometimes you just need to be run over, done it myself many times. You don't try to smash the attacker, just let them run onto you and grab their legs.
I get player safety… but there is currently no obligation on the attacking player to keep themselves safe. It’s all on the defender.
The tackle area isn’t fair. Stick my head down and I become a victim.
I don't see any other way around it. Rugby will cease to be a professional sport if it keeps destroying player's brains.

I think other rules that bring back smaller, lighter players is a better answer, instead of just having 15 meatheads smashing each other up.
Feel the same about tackles in the air… who can be one the victum?
If we are THAT concerned about player safety… ban jumping!
Jumping for catches I agree with.

Associate
RFU decided to try take on WRU for biggest joke of a union.

Completely impracticable to police and yet better still when this was trialled before actually ended with slightly more head injuries from heads of tacklers to hips.
I do think that a knee to the head was more common than head to head clashes.
The ball carrier is more protected...pity the tackler.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm short and I'm a good technical tackler and I often go for hips and below but it is not always practical. If you have a big lad coming straight at you and he bends in a bit getting down to safely take his legs can be extremely difficult. This is a really poor decision, below the armpits was adequate.

Caporegime
I'm short and I'm a good technical tackler and I often go for hips and below but it is not always practical. If you have a big lad coming straight at you and he bends in a bit getting down to safely take his legs can be extremely difficult. This is a really poor decision, below the armpits was adequate.

Going too low is how I ended up getting knocked out as the tackler. Knee straight in my head when I was around waist height.

Soldato
Six Nations starts today and I don't know how I feel. I'm still playing in my mid 40's and I'm not fit enough but enjoying it. I don't watch enough (any) club rugby to have a really good feel for the teams or players. So I'm in a quandry, most people want to see their team wins, I honestly just want to see some good rugby. The last few years I've respected Ireland effectiveness but despised watching them play. Historically Wales I've enjoyed when they play a bit of rugby but too often their game is built around an impressive defence and England are the team of two faces, awful or unplayable with teh former exceeding the latter too much.
I love playing rugby but I'm finding watching it harder, crappy scrums, too many stoppages, defences strangling the game and referees killing the flow. Oh and players are getting too gobby, the academy system is turning rugby players into football players as the cultural hangover of the amateur area tails off.

Please let it be entertaining for those other than the blinkered national fan.

Six Nations starts today and I don't know how I feel. I'm still playing in my mid 40's and I'm not fit enough but enjoying it. I don't watch enough (any) club rugby to have a really good feel for the teams or players. So I'm in a quandry, most people want to see their team wins, I honestly just want to see some good rugby. The last few years I've respected Ireland effectiveness but despised watching them play. Historically Wales I've enjoyed when they play a bit of rugby but too often their game is built around an impressive defence and England are the team of two faces, awful or unplayable with teh former exceeding the latter too much.
I love playing rugby but I'm finding watching it harder, crappy scrums, too many stoppages, defences strangling the game and referees killing the flow. Oh and players are getting too gobby, the academy system is turning rugby players into football players as the cultural hangover of the amateur area tails off.

Please let it be entertaining for those other than the blinkered national fan.
You've not mentioned Scotland?! :(

I can't wait and it's what makes these months bearable ish! Lol!

It's what I grew up with watching, although being a Scottish supporter is more than frustrating most of the time!

Fully expect England to have a clean win today though. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Scotland have come good in recent past and made the tournament better for it. Even Italy are no longer the pushover token game. England like you mention about Scotland are frustrating to support but helps if you have a polished game plan which they have not for a while. :(
I always watch Scotland with a feeling of dread! Lol!

You're right though that they have been much better in the last few years so there is a tiny hint of hope!

I'm curious to see how England are now they have gotten rid of their last manager.

Calcutta Cup is probably my favourite but I'm going to watch it with a friend who is sadly an English supporter! :rolleyes:

I'll probably storm out exasperated!

Back
Top Bottom