Rugby union?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Finally, a red card at this world cup! USA's number 7 John Quill with an awful non-tackle on Owen Farrell. A late, head-high shoulder shot. Buh-bye Quill, that's probably your last match time of the tournament.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
England get greedy at the end. Gong had gone, only needed to kick it into touch to nil the USA, but tried to go for another try. A few phases of scrappy, mixed play later and the USA score a consolation try. Final score 45-7.

Soldato
OP
Why would we show our hand against opposition we can solidly beat without needing to? Keep it simple, win the game, job done. I'll start worrying when we start losing.

Soldato
Tuilagi is no doubt an effective player, he can break through, or draw in defenders to unlock top levels defences...but I just feel JJ is our best 13. He's an incredible player, great positioning, good attacking lines, great defensive brain.

Can we fit then both in the same squad? I'm not so sure, as neither of them are footballers.

JJ works well with a lump like Cokanasiga outside him, but needs a footballer like Farrell inside really.

Soldato
I really like the balance of Manu/Slade. Joseph is individually good but I don’t think he offers the overall balance that Slade does. Daly also fits better as a playmaker 15 with Slade. The Wilson, Curry, Billy backrow is the clear most effective for my money.

It’s nice to see England being a bit less flakey so far. Maybe not hit the highs but avoided the lows.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
England looked very good today... I don't care about the last try, and I am happier that England had the appetite to stretch for another try at the end rather than just kicking the ball out.

I think JJ is an excellent footballer, and runs much better lines than Slade, but Slade offers more kicking options. However, the problem with some of the possible combos listed above is that Manu, JJ and Slade are all outside centres... Manu and Slade can play at 12, but they lose a lot of their effectiveness. JJ is an out and out 13. The extra complication is that Slade looked a long way from being fully fit when he came on against Tonga, which means he isn't offering 100%.

That tackle on Farrell was simply crazy... Farrell had knocked the ball on and there wasn't even a need to make a tackle! I'm finding it quite amusing (not ha ha amusing) that commentators and ex players are showing any sympathy for players hitting high without arms... Hugo said during today's match that he had sympathy for Hodge because it was the start of the tournament, before refs were reminded to clamp down... what?!?!!?!? In 30 years of playing, I've never once made a high tackle using only my shoulder... these tackles are not accidents, players are choosing to tackle high with no arms.

Soldato
You have to love the way the Japanese play the game. They focus on speed good passing and excellent work at the breakdown and have done for 20 tears. Brilliant result so well deserved.

Associate
That Japan-Ireland result were so surprising but also really good. Can still remember the feeling at the stadium in Brighton when Japan beat South Africa in the last World Cup. Imagine the feeling now in Japan.

Soldato
Great result for Wales, they don’t get many over the SH.

Was surprised watching the highlights because loads of people on BBC were suggesting ref biased towards Aus but watching highlights seemed like Wales were getting away with a it at breakdown and line out.

Gutsy performance.

In general the whole tackle slipping over shoulder business is getting daft, particularly as they become mauls. Very inconsistent and frankly there very very rarely dangerous in the slightest. Also couldn’t help but feel some sympathy with a Hooper with regard to Kurevi “hand off” Patchell’s tackle was crap.

Well played Wales.

Associate
Good bounce back to nil Samoa after a dire performance against the Irish. Not the most convincing of BP wins though - Samoa's shocking discipline basically gave us two ( and not even convinced Maitland would have held onto the second anyway). That said, conditions made ball handling difficult, so perhaps a fair result on balance.

Certainly not feeling optimistic for the Japan game just yet...

Back
Top Bottom