Rugby union?

Soldato
Schoeman's chest and biceps are so big that from one angle it looks like he's got his arm out in front of him and another angle looks like bicep is firmly against his chest.

Man of Honour
Great Super Saturday, Italy well deserved their win - they’ve had a few decent performances this year - I hope this bins off all talk of them being kicked out.

As a Scot very disappointed with the result in Dublin but have come to expect it, we’ve just not clicked this 6N at all and I think there will be serious questions about the coach, captain and even some of the squad after this campaign, there’s probably an argument for change before a big World Cup year.

France v England was closer than I expected, ironically probably England’s best performance of the tournament but not enough to stop the French slam - they look incredible and will take some stopping in next years 6N and then their own World Cup!

Soldato
I feel the doom and gloom post-mortems are a bit over the top tbh.

It's definitely not a good result for England....but France and Ireland are just excellent by world standards right now...we are competitive. Scotland...well...Calcutta Cup games are rarely easy.

Frustrating tactics at times though. Ben Youngs is bloody awful and has been for years. We seem to have only one tactic for each match..for France it was hoof it upfield for Freddie to chase. Occasionally effective, but you can't do it the whole match.

The reality is that the Six Nations is the most competitive competition outside the WC and Italy aside, anyone can win it. Some really great rugby and top class test matches this season.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Scotland I'm afraid, although they are better than say five years ago, treat any England game as a World Cup final. If they focused on playing everyone consistently they would not lose as many games as they do.

Regarding England, since the WC final I feel like they have not got a tactic or have a settled squad in mind. Pretty sure with the pool of club players at their disposal they could get a quality unit going in no time. Maybe EJ does need to go as I think unless a rocket gets up all their asses pronto there wont be any time left till the tournament.

Associate
Anyone watching the women's six nations?
Yep. Enjoy it better than the mens tbh, which is too much like rugby league with 13 men stretched across the pitch. Less speed, less fitness, less muscles makes the woman’s game a lot more interesting than top level mens game.
Like Union pre pro period.
That’s not meant to be as disparaging as it sounds. Excellent watch and cheap to attend. If you’re local to any of the 6 nations stuff… you should go along.

Soldato
Yep. Enjoy it better than the mens tbh, which is too much like rugby league with 13 men stretched across the pitch. Less speed, less fitness, less muscles makes the woman’s game a lot more interesting than top level mens game.
Like Union pre pro period.
That’s not meant to be as disparaging as it sounds. Excellent watch and cheap to attend. If you’re local to any of the 6 nations stuff… you should go along.
Kind of sums up my feelings. It does seem frustratingly error strewn at times, lots of penalties and handling errors.

But played in such a good spirit. Considering that so many teams are not even pro yet, so much room to grow.

Would encourage everybody to support the women's game.

Associate
Eng Ire ladies- drubbing.
Ireland one yellow, one red. Neither legit. Being run into by the ball carrier doesn’t make the head to head contact malicious.
Destroyed the game.

Soldato

I can't help but feel that we are going to see some big changes to the sport in the coming years. Which is the right thing obviously, the sport can't go on damaging people like this.

Big changes to training etc, but they really need to sort the substitutes out so every player needs to be 80-minute match fit, rather than swapping out a fresh pack after an hour.

Associate

I can't help but feel that we are going to see some big changes to the sport in the coming years. Which is the right thing obviously, the sport can't go on damaging people like this.

Big changes to training etc, but they really need to sort the substitutes out so every player needs to be 80-minute match fit, rather than swapping out a fresh pack after an hour.
Can't see the pro teams agreeing though. If you've got the money, you've got a bigger squad. If you've a bigger squad then I want more subs?
Think the game has to get to grips with the turning Pro problems. Bigger players who are super fit with an 'amateur brain'.
The current red carding everyone who happens to tackle anyone ducking into the tackle or slipping ... isn't working as a spectacle.
The dropping subs should mean that players aren't as big or run out of gas.

Edit - Women's world cup on Saturday. Early start!

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I can't think how 2 full squads can get absorbed into other clubs, even considering Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France. Can't see many going to Italy, a couple might go to Japan.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Can't see the pro teams agreeing though. If you've got the money, you've got a bigger squad. If you've a bigger squad then I want more subs?
Think the game has to get to grips with the turning Pro problems. Bigger players who are super fit with an 'amateur brain'.

The current red carding everyone who happens to tackle anyone ducking into the tackle or slipping ... isn't working as a spectacle.
The dropping subs should mean that players aren't as big or run out of gas.

Edit - Women's world cup on Saturday. Early start!
With the salary cap, more money does not necessarily mean a bigger squad. Also, I believe that the majority of pro players start in a Developing Player Programme (DPP) from 14 years old, or at least club academies in their late teens, so I don't think there are many pro players with an "amateur brain"... that was issue 20 years ago, but I don't think it is now.

Last edited:
Associate
Na I meant brain biology is still the same as it was… despite the rest of the body players putting in 6 stone of bulk.
Bigger hits, fitter players putting in more hits rather than being knackered… same old brain bouncing around inside skull = bad.

Haven’t seen a game this autumn with 15 players on both sides.

Christ Argentina playing with 12. Commentators loving it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom