Rules for Landlords requesting access to a property

Can't type for toffee
Don
Why?
2 months notice is end of January surely?
Renting indeed does suck and many see it as throwing money away
Still plenty time to have a life, christmas, family round and then move come january.
Whilst renting are you not able to start saving towards a deposit?

Soldato
this is the reason id hate to rent, well that and your paying his mortgage fk that.

Only way to rent is from a social landlord where you basically get the property for life as long as you keep paying. I'd always feel on edge renting from a private landlord as you don't know when you'll be out.

Associate
Why?
2 months notice is end of January surely?
Renting indeed does suck and many see it as throwing money away
Still plenty time to have a life, christmas, family round and then move come january.
Whilst renting are you not able to start saving towards a deposit?

Well sounds like he had a good place to live if he wanted to keep it so badly and its sold so easily, cant blame him for not wanting to move

but well, it wasn't his to keep and ultimately no amount of making trouble would have changed that, it just would have put him on worse terms with his LL

Few things have changed with my own situation making it less precarious for me, which means I'm gonna take the opportunity to try and sell my flat but that means my tenant will have to move and he's a student, his renewal is up somewhere around jan and I'm not sure how far into his course he is but it potentially means he has to move for the last 6 months of his course, which is kinda crappy for him but I cant go on making a loss each month for the sake of someone else's convenience, hopefully I can get some work done to improve it a bit and get it sold quick sharp so that I don't have the full weight of the mortgage for too long

Caporegime
OP
We have a decent chunk of deposit and the plan was to stay here for a year or 2, get to know the area and then buy.

But we are now back on a new 12 month contract are least, and as we now have a cat meaning the deposit has jumped for the new place, plus its only 8 months after we last lined a letting agents pocket we have had to dip into the deposit fund to get the nearly £4k needed to move, 3 weeks before Christmas. So yeah, sucks.

We found a place quite quickly, but the combined PITA timing, set back on our plans, and fat wedge of money we need to hand over having only done the same 8 months ago meant I was quite peed off at it all.

But all sorted now and won't be packing until after Christmas. There's nothing wrong with renting, providing the system is geared towards tennents being secure. As it is in this country its far to easy to be thrown out of a rented place.

Soldato
But we are now back on a new 12 month contract are least, and as we now have a cat meaning the deposit has jumped for the new place, plus its only 8 months after we last lined a letting agents pocket we have had to dip into the deposit fund to get the nearly £4k needed to move, 3 weeks before Christmas. So yeah, sucks.

Out of interest, how is it costing you nearly £4k to move? I'm buying a house and the fees involved with moving van is less than £4k!

Soldato
I assume he means including deposit, in which case, it's only a temporay cost as he'll get a wedge back from his old deposit you'd assume.

I can see how it'd temporarily be possible to need that much though. My deposit was about £3k, cost of removals could be around £500, plus letting agents fees/references, and any other ad-hoc costs and possible overlap of tenancy for a few days deepening how things work out.

Of course, the bulk of that you'd recover assuming you'd not trashed the previous place, so it's really unlikely to cost any more than a grand, and even that is probably towards the pessimistic end of the scale.

I do sympathise though; I had to move under this circumstance last Christmas (2 days before) which was a bit of a pain, and was looking like having to do the same again this year but thankfully it worked out and I've just signed another 12 months. Really couldn't be doing with that over Christmas again!

Caporegime
OP
Yeah its the whole lot. 2 months rent as a deposit, 6 weeks rent up front as we move in mid Jan but have shifted the payment date to the 1st of the month, and then the fees on top.

We will get the deposit back from our current place at the end of Jan, but between the outlay and getting that back is Christmas. And the current place is cheaper and had a smaller deposit, plus the cat means we are contractually required to pay for professional cleaning. So what we get back wont cover what we have had to spend.

Caporegime
OP
Aaaargh! Its happened again!

Letting agent phoned yesterday and the landlord is putting this house up for sale now! 7 months and I'm going to have to move AGAIN!

Aparently he doesn't own the whole house and the council own some of it? Meaning he has to sell through them and they want open days ans block bookings for visits. I've told the letting agent nobody is getting in the house until we are served notice.

Sod this. I hate renting.

Caporegime
I wonder if your landlord has permission to sublet.

If it's a shared ownership property then Government funds are provided to assist with the purchase.

As the intention is to provide someone with a home for themselves subletting is only allowed in exceptional circumstances.

Don
Damn, that does suck :( Presumably he's going to have to buy his way out of the remaining contract?

It's also very odd that he's renting out a part council owned property.

Caporegime
OP
There's a 6 month break clause meaning its only 2 months notice now regardless. The risk to him is he serves us notice and then doesn't sell it quickly, and is left with an empty house. I'm hoping that scares him into keeping it for a while.

I am confused as to what sort of scheme he is on though, as like you say Surveyor, all the schemes don't allow sub letting. He has owned the house since it was built in 2007 though, so maybe the rules were different back then?

Associate
I haven't read the last couple of pages so this might have been mentioned, but as a tenant, you have the ultimate control over who enters the property, except in the case of a emergency.

The only way the LL could actually gain access to the property without your permission is using a court order.

Associate
Bad luck, you rent, it isn't your house.....

(not aimed at you) But failing to keep up a mortgage means it isn't your house either, plus the bank/building society own it until the last payment?

So not quite cut and dry..

But i understand where you're coming from;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
(not aimed at you) But failing to keep up a mortgage means it isn't your house either, plus the bank/building society own it until the last payment?

So not quite cut and dry..

But i understand where you're coming from;)
True - but that at least is in your control. If someone sells the house you currently rent.... well, bad luck really.

Isn't your house, but it's still your home while you have a tenancy in place.

Too many dodgy landlords think they can come and go as they please because it's "their house".
I get that, but Skeeter's main whines are about having to move because the landlord is selling up. That's just one of the risks of renting, people can make decisions that you have no say over.

Caporegime
Being turfed out of two places in a row before the initial 12 months is up each time is incredibly unlucky though. He has every right to be annoyed.

Plus those random fees that agents love to pile onto a new contract that somehow cost more than arranging a mortgage...

Caporegime
OP
Indeed. And every time we have moved its been to somewhere more expensive, and now we have a cat the latest place took 2.5 months rent as a deposit! Its not cheap moving house and a right PITA to have to do it again!

The plan was to move into the first house we were in up here last May, stay there for a year or 2 and save up, then buy. Being forced to move and get another 12 month contract set that back to zero. Now it looks like thats happening again, while also eating its way into our savings.

I can't tell if Lopez is trying to be funny, or if he's seriously got the attitude that "its my fault for choosing to rent".

But anyway, we have decided to not be ***** about it and let the landlord market it and do viewings without forcing him to serve us notice. There are 2 other shared equity houses in our estate for sale at the moment, one since March 2014 and the other since October 2013, and neither have sold. So we could stay here for quite a bit yet. Plus, we are thinking about looking at buying it anyway, although I'm not sure how shared equity works? Is priority given to those on the Housing Agency waiting lists? Or is it open to anyone?

Back
Top Bottom