Rules for Landlords requesting access to a property

Man of Honour
If you are contemplating buying your rental property maybe see if the landlord wants to give you a rebate on the rent, there could be tax advantages from this e.g. lets say you'll have paid £10k in rent year to date, in terms of actual money in his pocket it may work out less when he has to do a tax return. So maybe you can come to some arrangement on price that is beneficial for everyone....

^Disclaimer: I can't guarentee the above is squeaky-clean from a legal perspective.

Caporegime
OP
Its not the landlords to sell unfortunately. It has to go through the housing agency who own the other 40% to be marketed by them. I think it also means the price is fixed with no negotiating, but I'm not sure on that one.

Caporegime
OP
Thread bump.

Does anyone know the rules around a landlord gaining access to a property after they have served notice? All the information I've found relates to prior to notice being served.

Soldato
Thread bump.

Does anyone know the rules around a landlord gaining access to a property after they have served notice? All the information I've found relates to prior to notice being served.

They still can't just let themselves in without tenants permission until the tenants have vacated the the property. Just the same as before notice is served.

Hence why landlords have to go to court and get court order when tenant fails to leave.

Caporegime
OP
Cool.

We were strung along by our landlord for months, only to then be dropped in it by being served notice out of the blue. Now the people buying the place and our letting agent seem to think its fine to just let themselves in (we've had an email worded "we will be bringing the buyers around somewhen next week to see the house" rather than actalky asking if they can come in). I presume its to check out furniture and decorating etc, but given the fact we now have to spend Christmas moving house they can kiss my butt, and wait until we have left.

Caporegime
OP
Doh :(

Read through our contract and we are required to let them in. We have this clause:

During the last two months of the tenancy, upon a minimum 24 hours prior written notification, to permit the premisis to be viewed during working hours and or at other reasonable times including at weekends by prospective tenants or purchasers who are authorised to do so by the landlord or his appointed agent.

Soldato
Unfair contract term. You have the right to quiet enjoyment of the property while you have a tenancy agreement.

Seems fine to me. Maybe it would have been nicer to have 48 hours written notice, but that's pretty standard from the places I've rented before.

Soldato
It's standard, but it doesn't mean it's enforceable. If you stood your ground and denied them access there's not a lot they can do about it. A lot of course will depend on how awkward you want your remaining interactions with them to be!

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I remember this from the last time. Standard terms inherited front the Housing Act mean I won't have to let anyone in, but in order to allow people to show new tenants around once existing ones have given notice, most letting agents will add this additional clause into a contract. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to market a property until after an existing tenant had moved out.

That's the contract we have signed so were bound by it. At well. Ill let them in.... but ill delay it.

Unfortunately it's not your property and you have no ability to stop the owner wanting to sell it.

This tbh.

The owner of the property wishes to sell it and there really isn't much you can do.
I would hand in your notice and start looking for a new property to rent.

I don't see the point in perusing housing act rules - The landlord wants to sell up and you are best just to part on good terms and move on.

Caporegime
OP
Things have moved on now guys, the house is sold and we have been given notice.

FYI OpenToSuggeations, the landlord has no right to let people in to view a house under normal contract terms, and only can do so if a clause like the one above is in your contract. And also, there is absolutely no reason to try and keep any sort of positive relationship, or in fact any relationship at all with your landlord since the DPS rules came in meaning they can't hold deposits to ransom any more.

You have an massive amount of rights as a tenant, unfortunately a lot of people don't realise this and bend over.

Things have moved on now guys, the house is sold and we have been given notice.

FYI OpenToSuggeations, the landlord has no right to let people in to view a house under normal contract terms, and only can do so if a clause like the one above is in your contract. And also, there is absolutely no reason to try and keep any sort of positive relationship, or in fact any relationship at all with your landlord since the DPS rules came in meaning they can't hold deposits to ransom any more.

You have an massive amount of rights as a tenant, unfortunately a lot of people don't realise this and bend over.

I rented a house in 2007 and signed for it just before the deposit rules came into force. The Landlord was a ****.

Tenants do have rights but it is often just best to find a new place and move on. If a Tenant and Landlord do not get along then the renting experience will always be a poor one.

(I don't have a buy-to-let property).

Caporegime
OP
With hindsight we should have bailed imimmediately this time. We were told the house was being sold months ago, but were strung along by the landlord who with stories of how it wasn't going well and would fall though and we could then buy it. We were told recently that the people buying the house had no mortgage and the solicitors weren't yet talking, and then the following day the letting agent served notice. We were strung along as the LL didn't want us moving out leaving him with an empty house to have to pay a mortgage on.

Your relationship with a landlord is defined by your rights and your contract. Believing it's anything else will bite you. I've learnt this the hard way (one place almost repossessed, 2 places sold from under us within contract).

Back
Top Bottom