• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 6600XT 1080p gaming for $379 on Aug 11

Associate
The 6600xt may not be the best choice for gamers but it sure is looking like a great choice for miners

the 6600xt has a hash rate of 32mh/s at just 50w

the hash rate per watt is insane, it's a whole leap ahead of all other cards on the market.

you can quickly expect to see the 6600xt out of stock and overpriced because it's the new mining king.

Im gonna order a few myself and relist them for double price and see what happens

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-...cy-mining-king-insane-performance-efficiency/

Grim tidings as Bitcoin price has leapt a bit this month too. Everybody get your orders in quick :D

Soldato
Incredibly surprised to see there is still stock (purely based on how much demand there seemed to be and how every other launch this year has sucked the stock dry in minutes). I wonder if this is the tipping point of supply/demand, ie the market is now saturated, or if the prices are just too high now for those that are left waiting to purchase.
People at the more budget end of the market are less likely to overpay for cards simply because they are more budget conscious compared to those buying at the higher end.

Associate
Incredibly surprised to see there is still stock (purely based on how much demand there seemed to be and how every other launch this year has sucked the stock dry in minutes). I wonder if this is the tipping point of supply/demand, ie the market is now saturated, or if the prices are just too high now for those that are left waiting to purchase.

Demand is even down with the scalpers only 14 on the auction site when I looked

Soldato
Let’s just hope they don’t become the next big mining target.

I hope Nvidia can find a way to cripple the VRAM in new graphics cards, to make mining on them unprofitable or impossible. AMD seems to have a more laissez faire attitude.

Maybe have 2 separate 'blocks' of VRAM, say 4GB each? The OS would see it as 2 blocks of 4GB. It would need to done at the hardware level, to avoid firmware/software circumvention.

Probably would need to patch each game to see multiple blocks of RAM. 12GB /16GB would be possible too, with additional 4GB blocks.

If it can be done without affecting gameplay performance, all the better.

By next year things will be different, at least, Ethereum GPU mining should be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Soldato

the hash rate per watt is insane, it's a whole leap ahead of all other cards on the market.

Does GPU mining on a new graphics card even make sense at this point, with Ethereum mining likely coming to and end by December 2021 /January 2022?

Or, are miners already profiting from mining other crypto currencies?

Soldato
I think it's clear what AMD was trying to do with the RX 6600 XT.

Limiting the PCI lanes seems to be a move to to leave a performance gap between itself and the significantly more expensive 6700 XT, with 12GB VRAM. Also, AMD wants to market this card as a 1080p card and the 6700 XT as a 1440p card.

You can see here, that in many titles, the performance gap between the 6600 XT and the 6700 XT isn't that wide at 1080p, particularly the minimum FPS:

ACV-1080p.png

So, without limiting the PCI lanes, the performance gap would be even narrower at 1080p.

Last edited:
Associate
Does GPU mining on a new graphics card even make sense at this point, with Ethereum mining likely coming to and end by December 2021 /January 2022?

Ethereum's having a bit of a resurgence atm - up to $3200-ish from a low of $1900-ish (recent previous high-water mark was $4200).

Grim5 said:

Yep - that's 1660 ti performance at 30% less draw.

Associate
I still maintain that the primary reason fort only 8 PCIe lanes is power budget rather than intentional gimping or even cost cutting.
While 6600XT seems to be clocked very high, I wouldn't be surprised if Navi 23's original target was way under 100W and to hit that 8 PCIe lanes and a 128-bit memory bus was required. More Infinity Cache would have helped too but there the cost cutters got too greedy.

$250 and under 100W for around 5600 XT to 5700 (non XT) performance would have been quite interesting. Will be interesting what underclocking and undervolting can do, and what wattage the 6600 non XT comes out as.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
This is what is reported in various linux mining software - and its 55watts.

Edit: 192mhash for same power as 1 x 3090

Good, so its underreporting but only another 5w is not far off. On my vega it used to miss off about 30w when using my wall meter.

Yep - that's 1660 ti performance at 30% less draw.

These are going for 350 on the bay. If you picked up one of the 6600's for 329 yesterday it was a good price!

Last edited:
Soldato

Or, are miners already profiting from mining other crypto currencies?

The misunderstanding here is ethereum needed hash power to use and secure the network, not the other way around. Once ETH changes to PoS there are still thousands of PoW tokens to mine. All the miners care about will be the price, there just has to be a market where a token is worth a good amount. If ETH was worth only $80 nobody would mine it apart from people stealing electric, places where rates are unbelievably cheap or students in dorms that have free electric! Mining will not just disappear because of what ethereum is doing..

Soldato
Hash power is already moving to different tokens, RVN or ERGO to name 2

Yes and although it could be coincidence or bull market RVN is up 100% over the week (thus making it way more profitable to mine) and ERGO is up from £4.50 to £9. Any tokens doing this and staying there will be a direct replacement for ETH. ERGO is also way more watts less to mine than ETH so is better for temps and the hardware.

Soldato
I think it's clear what AMD was trying to do with the RX 6600 XT.

Limiting the PCI lanes seems to be a move to to leave a performance gap between itself and the significantly more expensive 6700 XT, with 12GB VRAM. Also, AMD wants to market this card as a 1080p card and the 6700 XT as a 1440p card.

You can see here, that in many titles, the performance gap between the 6600 XT and the 6700 XT isn't that wide at 1080p, particularly the minimum FPS:

ACV-1080p.png

So, without limiting the PCI lanes, the performance gap would be even narrower at 1080p.
I think it was just a cost cutting measure to increase margin and the same by only going with 32mb of cache.

Soldato
I’m more cynical, I think it’s to try and move those on PCIe 3 over, that means a nice new motherboard from one of AMD’s partners and a chunk of cash in both their pockets.

Soldato
Yes and although it could be coincidence or bull market RVN is up 100% over the week (thus making it way more profitable to mine) and ERGO is up from £4.50 to £9. Any tokens doing this and staying there will be a direct replacement for ETH. ERGO is also way more watts less to mine than ETH so is better for temps and the hardware.
The price would need to double many times over though to offset the huge rise in differculty which would be caused by the flood of Miners vacating ETH at POS.

Soldato
The price would need to double many times over though to offset the huge rise in differculty which would be caused by the flood of Miners vacating ETH at POS.

Exactly so when ETH goes from $80 to $800 its very profitable to mine even though the difficulty jacks up. Also you dont want the algo to be mineable by ASICs or FPGA's as these bulk up that difficulty. Need a handful of tokens to spread out the users or make the DAG file size huge so only 12Gb+ cards can mine on it..

Back
Top Bottom